Register

Baked potatoes

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Baked potatoes

Postby Amyw » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:25 pm

https://amp.theguardian.com/food/2019/a ... ssion=true

Enjoyed reading this article so thought I’d share. For me , a baked potato shouldn’t be too large , as I like a good ratio of crispy skin to fluffy interior . I like Maris Pipers for baking and score a cross on top , drizzle with olive oil and bake in the oven .

The filling has to include lots of grated cheese. To be fair I’m perfectly content with just cheese , salt and pepper . They’re also ideal vehicles for small amounts of leftover chilli, bolognaise etc . I also like them with a Boxing Day style meal with cold cuts, pickles etc . How do you eat yours ?

Re: Baked potatoes

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:32 pm

What a delicious article, Amy!
A baked potato is such a glorious thing. I could wolf one down with just s&p and butter, although a good grating of sharp Cheddar on top would kick it up a notch.
My current favourite is to have the potato topped with Chile con Carne, a good dollop of sour cream, and a few pickled jalapeños...

Postby Binky » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:45 pm

Lots of creamy butter and salt, sometimes grated cheese. Can't wait for autumn and the start of baked spud season.

Postby jeral » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:03 pm

I heard on Saturday that Spud U Like has closed all its outlets and let all staff go, blaming high rents. Very sad as they've been around since mid 1980s that I know of and did great baked spuds. One topping I'd buy was the apple, celery and cashew nut in a thin white coating, cream I think. That's still a favourite.

Postby wargarden » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:28 pm

i alway found steamed potatoes taste better then baked ones.

Postby Amyw » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:20 pm

They're totally different beasts though , like comparing mash to French fries :shock:

Postby Alexandria » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:35 pm

I am a grand fan of baked potatoes .. :thumbsup

And as Karakoolaide stated, they can be quite a gloria ..

I am relatively simple and prefer just a sprinkle of Basque Salt, a grind or 2 of fresh black peppercorns and
French or Asturian Butter.

I do not care for potatoes with tons of ingredients as it takes away from the taste of Galician Potatoes which have
an extraordinary creamy interior.

Wonderful article and thank you for posting it ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Pampy » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:55 pm

Good butter and s&p is enough for me - but like others, I do also like a mature grated cheddar.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:30 am

I’m not surprised they went, the menu is still online, and it’s almost determinedly uninspired, in particular they don’t seem to have made a play for the veggie market - not even veggie chilli, just beans, cheddar, cottage cheese

http://www.spudulike.com/menu

I had one for lunch today with a blue cheese and spinach filling, pretty good

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:44 am

bye bye spud-u-like. I thought they'd gone long ago.

Same here, Sue.
I've made 4 in the combi, at the weekend for lunch. Nice n dark golden, as you say, Amy. Rub with oil and you'll get that skin colour.

Cottage cheese for me, but nothing else.

Postby Amyw » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:45 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I’m not surprised they went, the menu is still online, and it’s almost determinedly uninspired, in particular they don’t seem to have made a play for the veggie market - not even veggie chilli, just beans, cheddar, cottage cheese

http://www.spudulike.com/menu

I had one for lunch today with a blue cheese and spinach filling, pretty good

How dull !! Like you said , so easy to cater to the growing plant based market with veggie curry , chilli, ratatouille , vegan cheese etc. I’m sure a lot of people who run independent baked spud shops probably do a roaring trade in that area.

Another one I’ve remembered is shepherd pie spuds , where the hollowed out potato is filled with shepherds pie mix, topped with the scooped out potato inside and grated cheese then baked

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:45 pm

I rarely make them for the simple reason it is virtually impossible to find suitable potatoes here. I like soured cream and chives but not averse to a bit of chilli con carne if any is going
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:09 pm

There's a certain amount of pressure here to grow a good supply of potatoes suitable for baking. Luckily they don't have to be monsters. I dug some decent Caras last week and put them in the oven while I was roasting the chicken on Sunday. They were pinged for lunch on Monday

We both like jacket spuds. At home, the preference seems to be cheese or beans or both. We also have chilli with them although I'm as likely to make wedges instead.

If eating out, I often have Coronation Chicken and Mrs B is partial to tuna on our jackets.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:12 pm

Zoe Laughlin on the Kitchen Cabinet often mentions her father’s method for baking potatoes

You scrub them cut a line all round the equator, not deep but just in the skin, rub with a tiny amount of oil and bake very slowly, perhaps 120- 130C for about 3 hours. I do a batch and freeze, they reheat well in the combi for an instant hot lunch.

Postby dennispc » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:22 pm

Food of the gods. Always with butter, almost always with grated cheddar and vary between various other fillings - tuna mayo, prawn mayo, baked beans plus coleslaw. A regular meal for us.

Pierce spud, wet with water, wrap in kitchen paper. Two spuds, ten minutes in microwave then oven. We've always done it that way, no idea why!

Read the Guardian article - did anyone notice that one contributor said do not pierce and another said use a fork to pierce? I thought the piercing was to prevent explosions.

Postby Binky » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:26 pm

My mother-in-law told me that you pricked potatoes to help them cook faster in the oven.

Postby Amyw » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:56 pm

I’m a pricker :tongueout , always thought it was to stop then exploding . Have heard of sticking a metal skewer through the centre apparently helps them cook better

Postby cherrytree » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:58 pm

I always stick a skewer through them. I steam potatoes and I bake potatoes. Two completely different dishes.

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:18 pm

I don't often do baked potatoes, don't know why because they are delicious.

Currently steaming garden potatoes. They split if boiled and I much prefer them steamed.

Postby Pampy » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:44 pm

I prefer to steam potatoes rather than boil - they seem to retain a better texture and much more flavour.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox