Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby jeral » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:24 pm

I'm sure the bread pud slices I used to buy from the baker years ago were very simple, like this which looks close:
https://fyf20quid.co.uk/recipes/old-fas ... d-pudding/
The pud itself had no sweetness that I recall, aside from the fruit, but definitely a crisp top and granulated sugar sprinkled when cooled. It certainly wouldn't have used semi-skimmed milk or wholemeal bread - and no nuts or citrus bits either.

I came across this version which includes Kahlua (coffee liqueuer) and vanilla essence which is a pairing I like, bread pud but not as we know it, Jim. (McCoy to Kirk.):
http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/18990/ka ... dding.aspx

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:31 pm

Apart from the absence of rum that resipe is as near a dammit the Bahamian one.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:52 pm

I’m trying to remember where baker’s bread pudding is called student’s something - can’t remember if “something” is cake or treat - Poland possibly? Similar idea to filling up school kids

I seem to remember that Cuban bread was quite nice apart from in the big hotel in Havana

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:31 pm

I can't believe that's the first time I've tried making bread pudding! Made it to the recipe I linked to.

Forgot the demerera topping until 5 minutes before the end, and found I only had white granulated, so not 100% as recipe. I had already made all the breadcrumbs before Lush posted, so that's the same.

It's still warm, but the "offcuts" tested good, although not quite as sweet as I'd have liked. Maybe better when it's cooled down, but I've already pigged out on the cook's perks. It's turned out pretty close to the bakery stuff.

I made half the recipe and slipped a tablespoon of brandy (run out of rum) into it, but you couldn't taste the brandy when it was cooked.

EDIT: I suspect the suet in J's link would add something.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:09 pm

Sakkarin,

Looks lovely ..

I have noticed that most bread puddings are quite moist, or wet,
and preferably, ( to me ) the texture, is firmer & more solid (and not "humid or wet") ..

I had seen a number of these bread puddings in Cuba several years
ago ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Amyw » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:18 pm

Renee chocolate croissants sound very naughty ! I tried a JO version with baileys and bananas once , when I was a teenager. It was probably the only JO recipe I’ve made that I didn’t like . The Baileys, although I live as a drink , felt out of place and the bananas just made the whole thing soggy and mushy

Postby Renee » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:39 pm

What a shame Amy. It was one of those experience not to be repeated. As for Bailey's, I just daren't buy it! :mrgreen: It's too easy and delicious to resist and I would probably drink too much.

Postby dennispc » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:19 am

Bread pudding should be thick and moist. Bread and butter pudding, love 'em both. Sadly we never have stale bread now, any not used the day of baking is sliced and put in freezer.

However, if you ask the family they'd choose my Brioche and marmalade with sultanas.

Postby Renee » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:30 am

Delicious! I would love that too! :thumbsup

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:29 pm

My go-to pudding when asked to bring dessert is brioche and apricot jam bread and butter - a la Anton Mosimann.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Renee » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:22 pm

I like that one Joan. Paul Heathcote used to serve it at his restaurant in the Ribble Valley.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:43 pm

I'm afraid my Anton Mosimann books are top of my list of ones that might end up at the charity shop (they're both from his "nouvelle cuisine" period), however I will give his bread and butter pudding recipe a try - all the ingredients are now to hand, including M&S brioche buns reduced from £1.50 to 61p.

Mind you I'm not a B&BP snob, I'll enjoy it whatever bread it's made out of!

Follow up - that bread pudding was very good. I froze what was left, and it took 80 seconds in the microwave at 40% and 2 minutes in the oven to bring it back to life. 9 out of 10. Maybe the suet tweak would make it 10 out of 10.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:00 pm

Follow up - the Mosimann Bread and Butter Pud recipe. It was good, and I can taste the potential perfection in the custard element. There were a couple of niggles though.

The main one was that those M&S "brioche" rolls did not seem to be proper brioche, the instant clue was that the "flesh" was very white, no yellow tinge, and the texture was very claggy. Frying the pieces in butter did not yield an appetising first stage.

The second one was that it was a bit too sweet, although that was probably aggravated by the fact that I upped the currant content (28g to 40g for half recipe). I think I'd slightly reduce the sugar anyway.

I also baulked at using 55g of butter, so started with 35g, but added a tiny bit more while it was frying as the bread dried up.

I'll give it another go, next time I'll invest in some proper brioche. Not for a while though, I've had my sugar/cream overdose for now.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:20 pm

Whenever I have made bread and butter pudding with either hot cross buns or other sweetened bread, I never add sugar, because we feel it doesn't need it.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:28 pm

I haven’t made the Mosiman version in years, but I made it a couple of times when the recipe was first in the Sunday paper

Just didn’t like the jam, too syrupy

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:14 pm

Oh dear, I've dug out my Mosimann book (Essential Mosimann) and realised the recipe I did WASN'T Mosimann, it was Alastair Little.

Here's the article/recipe, it mentions Mosimann's original, but is actually Sophie Grigson article recounting Alastair Little's recipe which is a tweak on Mosimann's.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 50821.html

---------

EDIT: Ha ha ha! On a whim I thought I'd check out my Alastair Little book "Italian Kitchen", to see if that recipe had sneaked its way in there, and it had! Cheeky so and so admits it is not an Italian recipe, but Italianises it by using panettone instead of brioche.

Postby mark111757 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:14 pm

Renee

Gave up with baileys years ago. Tried coole swan from Ireland and loved it. All I would have needed was a straw.

Postby Renee » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:41 pm

I only bought Baileys once, Mark, after trying a small glass at a friend's house and then realised that I daren't buy any more!! :lol:

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:40 pm

A friend gives us a bottle of Baileys every year and we both hate it. M says it is also palatable over good vanilla ice cream.

Postby jeral » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:50 pm

A relative had been given a bottle of Baileys which was superfluous their being TT so gave me carte blanch to drink it. I had to stay up late so poured a lot into a mug, much of which remained. Next day, my fastidious relative thought it was stale coffee and chucked it all down the sink. Easy come, easy go, eh?

Yesterday was tennis, which took up far longer than I thought it would so there's a lot of catching up to be done. If it might mean another late night, I'll get a bottle of Baileys in ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox