Register

Hello Autumn.........!

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Hello Autumn.........!

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:03 am

The autumn fruit cheesecake is now finished and was so wonderfully seasonal that it has now become an annual treat for us. We found it was best eaten at room temperature though. :yum

Postby Alexandria » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:01 pm

La Sierra de Cádiz, Wild White Cap Mushrooms (Champiónes Salvages)
Last edited by Alexandria on Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:01 am

Saw my first pumpkins yesterday - so it's officially autumn!

Does anyone cook with them?

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:28 am

Hello again LL!

I have cooked with them in the past. I have only bought the small ones though. So far I have made the following

spiced syrup for wintry lattes (for a friend)*
a cake with cooking apples and dried mixed fruit - this made a very good C-word cake a few years ago
soup
it also made a rather nice addition to a chilli con carne

* the advantage being that I froze down the blanched pumpkin and could re-use it for something else. Which was probably the cake and the chilli!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:06 pm

I usually don’t bother with pumpkins, I used to buy the wedges from the big green skinned ones, and make into soup or steam and serve with West Indian style food.

I do buy the various types of squash you can now get in supermarkets and farmers markets. I particularly like the onion squashes that the French call potimarron (chestnut pumpkin) as they are a sensible size and really do taste a little of chestnuts when roasted or made into soup

On the rare occasions I make s pumpkin pie I buy a can of Libby’s prepared purée. I agree with Ina Garten that if you cook your own for baking you never quite know how wet it will be but canned is always just right for the amount of egg and liquid in the recipe.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:09 pm

Yup! - I think after all that peeling & deseeding, freezing is the way to go - then it will all seem like a distant memory & not so much of a faff - I have a recipe for a ginger Thai-style soup somewhere that I've been meaning to try for sometime now - must sharpen my knives first tho'!

I can see it making a good chilli Strictly :thumbsup

It apparently makes a good bread (as in banana bread) too.

I once had pumpkin pie over the pond - never again - unbelievably sweet - felt my teeth softening...….!! They do a hellava lot of sweet stuff with it over there.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:21 pm

I've not seen canned puree here Sue - probably because I haven't been looking - but will give it a try. Not heard of the chestnut pumpkin either - where have I been living....?!?!

Postby Alexandria » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:21 pm

" Calabaza ", a Northwestern African variety of a large orange squash (not a pumpkin as in "pumpkin pie" ) has been used in parts of The Iberian Peninsula for soups, and in Latin America, South and Central America since the Slave Traders brought it to these distant lands ..

Pumpkin as in "pumpkin pie " is an oddity on the Iberian Peninsula and is predominately imported for Halloween Jack - o - Lanterns for the young children ..

There are a few American Style restaurants in the Madrid Capital, owned and operated for years by Americans and they serve the expatriate community with Thanksgiving Menus and of course, Pumpkin Pie is one of the desserts on this menu ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:10 pm

I grow a few squashes. Butternuts are good baked, hollowed out, the flesh mixed with Stilton and walnuts, refilled and popped back in the oven. There's a recipe from HF-W, courtesy of Sarah Raven. Baked pumpkin is nice with an autumnal roast. There is a lovely soup using chunks of pumpkin with black beans and sweetcorn, plus tomato, onion and spices. I make it with smoked paprika, a variant on a recipe from Michael Michaud.
The first time I went to the States I sought out the foods I'd heard of. Pecan pie was way too sweet for me, but pumpkin pie tasted a bit like bread pudding, due to the spices I suppose, and I loved it.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:20 pm

Talking of butternuts, I made a lamb & squash curry yesterday using half & half - the squash exudes a lot of moisture into the lamb - really good & will be made again.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:03 pm

We have just got back from a restaurant lunch sitting on the terrace in the sun - it was 32C when we got home a few minutes ago.

So absolutely no call what so ever for pumpkins, hearty stews or anything remotely autumnal!

However on the menu was a saddle of rabbit stuffed with trompettes de mort!.

I can hold back on my autumn menus for a while longer, if pushed!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:06 pm

It was definitely Autumnal here this morning. The rain was pelting down. It now looks as though the sun is coming out. I think pasta will be on the menu tonight, although I might add a little frozen beef mince to it for a change.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:22 am

It´s pretty likely that pumpkins originated in North America - then was taken to Europe after 1494 .
Folks are fairly unimaginative about it here - soup and more soup - but I love it for stuffing pasta. It also goes beautifully well with masoor dal and Tur Dal.

We don´t get autumn here; it´s either hot and wet, or warm and dry!

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:11 am

but I love it for stuffing pasta.

Absolutely. I like them with sage and butter. You can make them from scratch, or stuff those big shells (cooked and cooled) with cooked seasoned squash, then simply toss them with melted butter and sage leaves, add cheese if you like, fry the sage until crisp if you like.

There are lots of recipes online for pumpkin or butternut and sage risotto, which is another good use for them.

Postby smitch » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:51 am

I like this Jamie Oliver squash pasta recipe, although I do adapt it a bit https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/jun/22/cook-jamie-oliver-rose-gray-river-cafe-recipe-rotolo

I found it a bit bland as is, so I add smoked paprika (sweet and hot) to the tomato sauce and also sprinkle a bit on the squash when I roast it. I add some chopped sage to the squash mixture too. I tend to use fresh spinach as I don’t buy frozen.

I also like roasted squash in risotto, usually with a bit of blue cheese.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:20 pm

Might have a go at Rotolo, would also work with other combinations I do

Just bought the first Cox’s apples of the season, they are huge and smell lovely, I think lunch will be a Waldorf salad. Not sure that will require a whole one

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:49 pm

We bought some rather small coxes last week, but they've been beautiful. We've still got a few left but saw some red windsors tonight and bought some of those. They do look lovely and we hope they will be crisp and juicy to eat.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:07 pm

Butternut soup.
Just the job on a wet and miserable day.

Postby Amyw » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:49 pm

Did a five Mile walk to the beach today and sat watching the kite surfers for a while with a hot chocolate . Perfect in the freezing cold

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:55 am

Love a hot choc on a cold day, but it's been a pinot gris type of day here, very mild.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox