Register

Hello Autumn.........!

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Hello Autumn.........!

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:39 am

It's arrived Chez Lush! Last night I made a gutsy judion & chorizo stew & then simmered two large stuffed squid on top until tender - WHOAR!!! delish & proper Autumn food just what I'd been craving!

Anyone else started yet?

Site Admin

Re: Hello Autumn.........!

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:50 am

Oh dear, please allow us another few weeks of Summer Lush, I've booked a week off in September...

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:20 pm

Not planning on going full on Autu yet

But the new season Discovery apples on the other side of the room smell fantastic

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:14 pm

When the temperature goes below 26C I might begin to think about it :D
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Renee » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:35 pm

I'll watch out for those Discovery apples, Sue. Thanks for mentioning them.

Nope! I'm not going to be thinking of autumn just yet, although we do have a few leaves floating down.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:53 pm

I always know I have to go to the farmers market the weekend after my mum’s birthday (15 Aug) to get the first English apples of the season

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:12 am

Oooo, is it time to make an apple and blackberry pie.
My MIL used to wrap her apples in newspaper and store them under the bed.
I tried this method in my warm house, but they still went soft. Her house was always freezing cold.

Lush, that's a coincidence
I made the same dish with m' Segovian judion beans in the week.
I decided not to peel the Navarra chorizo paper, as it's a right royal pain. And couldn't tell in the finished dish, with some brands you can get tough paper if you don't.
So I'll stick to Navarra in future.

I really like Autumnal recipes. A friend of mine has promised to bring plums in for me from her country garden.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:50 am

As much as I love spring/summer cooking, I do enjoy cooking cold weather food just as much. I absolutely love making casseroles and soups, so when the weather cooled down a bit a few weeks ago I really enjoyed making a couple of soups such as minestrone and a fish chowder. They went down very well with us Strictlies.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:06 pm

Having been brought up in an orchard... (it’s ok, we had a house but it and a few neighbours were built on an old orchard but a lot of the trees were left and we added some)

We kept our newspapers wrapped apples in an old side board in the garage, and they kept well into the new year.

But you don’t start storing them yet. Like spuds, apples come as earlies , thin skinned and eaten new(Discovery, Worcester) , and main crop, heftier and will keep (Cox’s of course)

I had to stop typing halfway through and get a Discovery

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:40 pm

Sounds like an idyllic upbringing, Sue.
I sometimes have conversations with Tony about what trees to plant and nurture, when we get our big garden (dream on Gill).
I'd have pear and plum.
Tony would have apple.

Oh, and a spaghetti treeeeeeeee!

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:57 pm

I did look for some Discovery apples in Asda earlier this week, but couldn't find any, although there were quite a few spaces so they may have run out. I will try again!

Also, after watching Nadiya Hussain's latest episode of her Family Favourites TV series, I now want to make her Mocha Swirls. Her Piccalilli Macaroni Cheese sounds amazing too, although I would probably make a bechamel sauce instead of her method. both of these sound very Autumnal to me.

Having said that, it is very difficult to meal plan at this time of the year, because the weather in September and early October can be a bit unpredictable. I had a similar conversation with the head chef at our staff canteen only yesterday.

Postby jeral » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:36 pm

Ooh yes, I wouldn't want to be a forward-ordering and meal-panning manager, so good luck him given it's meant to be coming warmer again, a definite maybe.

I'm thinking more fruit pie & custard than fresh fruit salad now. However, hearty meals implies a welcoming smell once it gets cold and dark, so not just something hot but hot and smelly. Sweating onions with cumin is a favourite smelly... Anyone care to share their faves?

Nadiya comes up with some really good things doesn't she? She doesn't seem to use many veg, more garnish veg, although her table is laden with fresh fruit, so perhaps veg aren't her thing?

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:37 am

Autumn?

What´s that??? :o

I have to say it´s probably the season I miss most. But not yet, please!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:24 am

strictlysalsaclare wrote:I did look for some Discovery apples in Asda earlier this week, but couldn't find any

Ha ha ha ha. Funny of the week, Stricters.

Just looking at m' Mark Hix Seasonal Food book. I know you have it, Sakkarin.
Sweet succulent prawns, wild mushrooms, squashes & pumpkins.
And berries to be picked.

Wild salmon, sea trout, red millet, crayfish (no thanks, I have an instant picture in my mind of cockroaches I cannot dismiss)
mussels, cockles, native oysters, mallard, grouse, snipe, Widgeon * what's that?
Ptarmigan *what's that?
beetroot, chard, celery, swede, pennywort, nasturtiums, tommies, eldererries, crab apple, cherry plums, pears, hazelnuts, cobnuts, walnuts.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:20 am

Well, it's certainly Autumn out there this morning - quite a nip to the air - I'll be digging out my sweaters later! I love Autumn, especially days like yesterday where the sun still has some warmth but the air is fresh, and it seems to have come straight in this year - like summer did, we really didn't have a spring did we - I've been sunbathing down on the beach in Sept. many times in the past with hot Indian summers.

Great minds & all that Grilly - I made enough for the freezer too - always a bonus! Haven't tried that Navarro chorizo - has it got a good kick? Beef meatballs here last night in a tomato sauce with linguine. The plums are really gorgeous this year - The Lushly picked a stack of them at a pyo farm - really sweet/sharp - don't know what variety they are - not Victoria's still a bit early for them - if anything these are nicer.

I'll be paying a visit to a game farm when I'm over Pulborough way next - 'tis the season :yum Come to mama you gorgeous partridges!

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:33 am

Gillthepainter wrote:

Wild salmon, sea trout, red millet, crayfish (no thanks, I have an instant picture in my mind of cockroaches I cannot dismiss)
mussels, cockles, native oysters, mallard, grouse, snipe, Widgeon * what's that?
Ptarmigan *what's that?
beetroot, chard, celery, swede, pennywort, nasturtiums, tommies, eldererries, crab apple, cherry plums, pears, hazelnuts, cobnuts, walnuts.

Hi Gill

Ptarmigan is a member of the grouse family that likes to live in mountains. We have them in Scotland in this country. Photos below in all their plumages, form the pure white winter one, the brown summer coat and their transition phase
https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1C1 ... =943&dpr=1

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:36 am

Thanks for that.
I probably should know what it is, but have never heard the word before.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:38 am

Yes, Lushpot, I too was really hopeful for an Indian Summer. I still am.

Postby Renee » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:51 am

It's going back to 20C a week today. I keep reminding myself that I would never complain about the rain again! :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:29 pm

All these autumn food sound great
But more simply l had sausages baked with red onions, a beetroot baked in its skin, some (frozen) broad beans and all finished with lots of dill and a bit of butter on the beetroot
Yum

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox