Register

Angelica

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Angelica

Postby cherrytree » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:43 pm

I want some but can’t find it anywhere. Does anyone know of a stockist that doesn’t require one to buy a whole kilo?

Re: Angelica

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:04 pm

DIY? Do you know anyone with some in their garden? Very simple to crystallise/candy. One of my favourite flavours/ingredients.

https://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/angelica-50g.html

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:08 pm

No - it's not something you see here very often now - I used to see it in the Calais s/markets - I'm curious what you're going to use it for?

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:20 pm

I'm assuming you mean candied angelica? I had no idea it had gone out of vogue. Trawling round the internet it seems that there are usually quite a few stockists and that it often comes from France.

This website says there has been a crop failure and there will be no more until the autumn https://wiltonwholefoods.com/2725-wilto ... 21900.html
if that's the case, at least it's not Brexit!

This looks still available via Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Natural-Health ... 6999422149

Postby cherrytree » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:01 pm

I’m going to make Pashka but a week late. I will just leave the Angelica out and wait until we’re next in France and then have a good deekaboot in Auchun.

Postby Seatallan » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:05 pm

I used to grow it in our old garden. Not that that's any help to you at all.... :)
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:09 pm

cherrytree wrote:I’m going to make Pashka

Noice.....! My M-I-L used to make Pashka - it was lovely, but she used to bake it which is unusual.

Postby MariaK » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:23 am

cherrytree wrote:I’m going to make Pashka but a week late. I will just leave the Angelica out and wait until we’re next in France and then have a good deekaboot in Auchun.

If you can wait a bit longer I can have a look in the main central market later this week and post you some. After all, this is a Russian / Ukranian dish and for Orthdox churches Easter Sunday falls on 2nd May this year !!

In Poland it`s Mazurki - elaborately decorated tray bakes

https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/sear ... &fr=mcafee

and Babki (Babas)
https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/sear ... &fr=mcafee

Postby herbidacious » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:06 pm

They might have some in my local Turkish shop which seems to sell everything. They have a lot of Western european stuff too. I can have a look.

Was just thing about making a speculative eurotunnel booking to go to France. Not sure for when though...

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:35 pm

If traditional in E European cooking worth trying a Polish grocer?

A quick Google suggests there are some around your area

Postby Pampy » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:59 pm

Amazon has it.

Postby cherrytree » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:27 pm

Thank you, all of you. I think we’ll just manage without it for this year. When we do get to France , then I’ll look in the supermarket section where they sell ground almonds and other baking bits for one of those little square boxes with candied fruit in. Maybe Lorenzo my market man on Marvejols will have some.
But when will that be? I’m pretty certain that I’m going to miss all the apricots on my tree and possibly the greengages. There’s nothing we can do; We’re not going to break the law and two weeks’ quarantine last September was pretty dull. However if staying here hastens the end of it all I suppose it will be worth it.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:27 pm

Ditto our massive cherry tree, (!) cherrytree! Mind you we often miss the cherries. Our loss, birds gain.

I imagine you usually fly? Our last holiday was just north of Beziers, and I did think how lovely it would be to drive down there taking a few days. I used to do this sort of of holiday a lot in my 20s (with a friend who had a car and whose parents paid for our petrol!)

I am going to book a Eurotunnel passage imminently and hope that doesn't jinx things. I think it may become difficult to get crossings once lockdown eases and things improve in France (which they surely must do.)

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:25 pm

They were speculating on the TV that the long drive south might return, as people have had a break from catching planes like buses, and feel safer bubbled in their own vehicle

It's what my parents did with me, the only times we flew were to Guernsey and to Amsterdam to stay with family, where my Uncle gave my parents some coaching in long haul European travel

Postby herbidacious » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:22 pm

I am sure many will do that, but you do need time to do it. I have a friend who drives to Italy, where they have a place. She has been known to go a bit further into Croatia too. Another friend drives to East Germany and once drove to Russia.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:54 pm

My dad drove, pre-motorway for the most part, to Slovenia, Serbia, across Austria and Switzerland and Germany to Italy, through Andorra and the Prrenees to Spain and across Spain from Gerona to San Sebastián - and all over France and Belgium

Not universal in the 60s and early 70s, but not at all uncommon, almost stereotypical for a polytechnic lecturer like him :D

Postby herbidacious » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:31 pm

My parents started going on foreign holidays after I left home. They were all done by coach. I thought they were mad, especially as the holidays were expensive and they always seemed to stay in awful accommodation with awful food en route. They went to various locations in France, Italy a couple of times and Barcelona like this. So neither of my parents had/have ever been on a plane.

I did once get a coach to Munich. We'd done a coach trip from Sheffield to Berlin with school and that was bad enough (restless leg syndrome). But the Munich. one... after that, never again. But the coach was going on to Athens. There were many Greeks on the coach who'd got on in London. And the toilet wasn't working. And the coach driver, who was running late, only agreed to stop for a ten-minute loo break after 12 hours when there was almost a mutiny. It was agony. This was in 1985... Imagine the uproar on social media now if anyone tried to do that.

Postby Seatallan » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:57 pm

Lordy Herbi!! :)

Never travelled that far by coach, but me and friend used to regularly travel to Ireland by coach. There was a company called 'Slattery's' that operated a coach service that ran from London to Cork via Reading (and many other places). It was an overnight service and took forever but it was good fun back in the day and spectacularly cheap. We'd sometimes go to Cork and hitch our way right up the west coast and sometimes bail out at Dublin, catch another bus to Donegal Town and then hitch around the Bloody Foreland to an independent hostel we really loved. We'd generally eventually hitch our way to the North where my (sadly now deceased) sister and her family lived (my BIL still does) and stay with them for a bit before hitching back to Dublin. Ah, happy days!! :D
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Pampy » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:56 pm

My parents never went abroad together (unless you count the Isle Of Man as abroad!) but after my Dad died, as well as flying abroad, Mum also started going on coach trips with friends. They stayed in various locations for a couple of days on the way before reaching the final destination, where they usually stayed for a week before returning via a different route. It was a very upmarket (and expensive!) company that organised the trips and some of the places they stayed at were really top-notch. She much preferred these holidays to the ones where they went by air.
When I was in my teens, I went on a few foreign holidays organised by the school and we always travelled by coach and train, which we found very exciting.

Postby cherrytree » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:30 pm

We never fly. We take the A66 across to Scotch Corner (We live in NW Cumbria). The M6 is so unspeakably vile we avoid it.Drive down to near the tunnel and stay in somewhere like the Holiday Inn. Cross early in the morning and drive to either Chartres or Bourges. Then drive to our house in Lozere,the least populated departement in France in the Massif Central. Marvejols, Cockermouth’s twin town is our nearest town.
We vary our slow trip home. Sometimes we come to Calais and stay in an eccentric but nice hotel
there.
Or,up until last year we would cross at Cherbourg and go to Poole and visit one of our daughters in Dorset but that crossing has been cancelled.
My husband is a serious wine buyer so we bring quite a bit home.
If we do go to Calais we might stop at Auchun for a few bits and pieces . Not wine though. I love the madness of that massive hyper market.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox