Register

Wild about Chatter ... Vol 6

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wild about Chatter ... Vol 6

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:37 am

Morning all! :wave.Up early as GD is coming for the day.It's taken me an hour to be able to fully open my eyes :lol:. I suspect it's very cold outside but there's no frost.

Icey, you never did tell us which car you went for in the end.

Hope everyone has a good day. :newhuggy

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:06 am

morning all :wave: :wave: from a dull and chilly Harefield... all set for another day on the kitchen refurb... I am so pleased with my style/colour choices, the builder guy keeps saying how much he likes it and daughter too, who rarely passes any comment on stuff I do in the house has declared she loves it .. Dark green/light green/oak decidedly go together. I will be asking for recommendations for new work tops when the dust has settled ... I fear this will not be a very cheap project. Corian -v- marble -v- granite or anything else you think ;)

Earthmaiden wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

MIL used to insist on kissing everyone on the lips when it was time to leave :evil:

I always get a kiss on the lips from my sister and her husband, but I don't mind that. :thumbsup

Postby Gruney2 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:19 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:I always get a kiss on the lips from my sister and her husband, but I don't mind that.

The only ones I've had, for years, were wet sloppy ones from the dog. :lol:

Postby scullion » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:06 am

good morning, all.
overcast.
i woke up at about six thirty and decided that i might as well stay awake - and immediately went back to sleep until eight thirty.
off to the beach in half an hour.
i don't think i'm going to get a cup of coffee before we go - although the kettle's gone on now.
see you later.
have a good day.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:12 am

Gruney2 wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:I always get a kiss on the lips from my sister and her husband, but I don't mind that.

The only ones I've had, for years, were wet sloppy ones from the dog. :lol:

You'll have quite a few more very soon!

Bit of a shock to the system here. Alarm went at 7.30 and now hub has been dropped off ( not literally!) with the chiropodist. I was going to go to the garden centre for fleece, but i have a good parking spec, so waiting for him instead, in the village where herbi's hub grew up!

It's very pleasant, though chilly.
Hope you all have a good day

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:27 am

My mother will still try to kiss me on the lips. Is that a very old person thing or a northern thing?

I think it's definitely a generational thing, but there might be some regionality or socioeconomic element. When I was a child in London, older people than I, especially women, would kiss people lip to lip, in the fashion of kissing fish, as a sign of friendly affection. Older women from the same area still greet people like that. Younger generations regard any lip contact as more sexualised and potentially inappropriate. They seem to prefer kissing the air behind your ears as a greeting. :D

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:52 am

Aero's fire suspicions were correct! :o :lol:

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/news/ ... fire-home/

Postby aero280 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:04 am

Oh dear! This village is going to pot...

Postby Uschi » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:05 am

I am firmly in the non-kisser-non-hugger camp. In my generation we even started to drop that very Teutonic handshake in favour of a "Hi!".
But hugging and kissing made a comeback in the late '90. Probably from TV or so. Yuck.

Postby Uschi » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:11 am

As for kissing grandaunts and the like ... over here they were also covered in "4711 Original Kölnisch Wasser", the original Cologne, which, in itself is a nice enough scent, but elderly lady smell and doused in the stuff in combination was a bit much for a child.
I never hug my "grandchildren", but they seem to be trained to do so and actively seek contact. So I give them a very quick hug and then ruffle their hair or do something else to show affection. I don't want them to form those "Cologne Grandaunt" memories.

The little one (2) is not yet too huggy. But she did appreciate it when I ticked the back of her neck while she was looking out of the window. :D

Postby mistakened » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:13 am

It has been a busy morning here, Deb had a Dr's appointment at 8 30 in Limassol, she was back at 9 30. Then I went to Lidl, I have come realise that I tend to go to Lidl for delicatessen items such as cheese and cold meats, it is better quality than similar items available here.
I also bought four bundles of asparagus. What shall I do with them? We had them with poached eggs last week, shall I make Hollandaise or grill the spears? Decisions, Decisions :roll:

Moira

Postby Suffs » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:17 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

I come from a family of non-huggers ... but then Bro married a hugger and our Aged Ps took up hugging. I suppose as a young adult I hugged my friends ... I suppose many of them were in the Arts (fine art, or theatre, or music etc) and hugging had certainly become a signifier of the 'educated classes 'by the late Seventies. It does seem now that the famous British reserve might well be having a resurgence. :lol:

We have a chilly wind here, but it was not as cold overnight as it has been. OH has gone to work and I'm just about to assemble the pasties ...
Last edited by Suffs on Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:18 am

I’ve always thought of kissing on the lips more as something you did with a partner than a social ritual or something you do to a relative, the French cousins hug and kiss like crazy, but kiss on the cheeks, they also shake hands a lot

Uschi, over here old ladies tended to smell of Yardley’s English Lavender or Coty L’Aimant rather than 4711 cologne, though some used that

Not so sunny here today but still dry and fairly windy

Better get on I suppose, have a good day everyone

Postby liketocook » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:33 am

Good morning everyone,
I come from a family of non-huggers but changed that with my kids who grew up with hugs and even as teens would initiate one. I've really missed over the past year hugging my elder son and DIL-to-be, but I don't enjoy general social hugging and kissing it makes me feel very awkward and I'll avoid it if I can.
Cold, gloomy, wet and rainy here today, really not very pleasant at all, I hate when you pretty much need a light on all day.
Freezer tidying is in progress - I discovered 8 chicken carcasses (a mix of cooked and raw), 6 sets of lamb leg bones, a cooked turkey carcass, a bag of bacon ends and 4 beef bones. No wonder I was struggling to find space for other stuff! The chicken bones have been popped in the fridge overnight to defrost and I'll get stock made once I've roasted the raw ones. I'll work my way through the rest over coming days.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:59 am

I inherited a bottle of 4711 from my mother (who died 20 years ago!). I've always loved it. I still like a dab or two on a hot day, the bottle will probably see me out too - I should bequeath it to DD :lol:.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:04 pm

aero280 wrote:Oh dear! This village is going to pot...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby mistakened » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:40 pm

and I thought that Bushey was such a respectable place...................

Postby Suffs » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:51 pm

I love 4711 cologne ... traditional and classic, paying no nod to fashion ... I buy and wear it from time to time. 8-)

We've had several of those 'horticultural enterprises' in and around Norwich ... apparently they often go for houses in 'better' neighbourhoods as

1. The rooms are bigger

2. They're better maintained and easier to heat

3. The space between the houses is bigger and the neighbours are less likely to take notice of the comings and goings :limbobanana

4. The neighbours won't know what weed smells like

They're wrong about one of those ... :lol:
Last edited by Suffs on Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:23 pm

Greetings! Not as cold today, but still pretty overcast. *ETA the sun has just come out! We haven't had Pimm's for ages - no social gatherings at home in the summer! - I vaguely recall that we used to use dry ginger as a mixer instead of lemonade - it was less sweet. I can't remember where we heard about it, maybe from a friend.

I can't remember when hugging became de rigeur when greeting our friends. I'm sure it wasn't always like that! Perhaps covid will indeed put pay to it for ever. I agree it can be awkward.

Can't wait for my ear vacuuming tomorrow, am really fed up with all the odd sounds that I'm getting in the blocked one. And hearing my violin with one ear is weird (and not very flattering :lol: )

Have a lovely day with GD, EM!

See you all later.

Postby Uschi » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:25 pm

Yes 4711 is a nice and fresh scent. It is just the association that marred it for us. I wear their other Colognes, some of which are really nice and always light enough not to set off my asthma.

I only hugged my parents on their birthdays, although we did cuddle on the sofa occasionally.
When my father had problems sitting up (even with an electronic bed) I just sat behind his back with a few cushions to get it exactly right. That way he could eat properly or watch TV. It wasn't a problem. I am not averse to touching per se, I just don't like it as a greeting.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox