Register

Foodies In The News

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Foodies In The News

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:16 pm

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:33 pm

Bit over the top, isn´t he, Pepper? :lol: :lol:
I mean, for a vegetable which many (including me) have probably never heard of.
Seakale. Oh my heavens, I can’t think of the last time I clapped eyes on those unmistakable slender, wan stalks with little frills of vestigial leaves at the top. Seakale, the lost glory among vegetables.

The market visit definitely made his day!!

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:51 pm

I only know about sea kale because of Jane Grigson’s writing, not sure if I’ve ever tasted it

A bit niche, though if I had a large garden I’d be tempted to have a go, as it’s native and quite ornamental when grown on

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:51 pm

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:30 am

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:52 am

Possibly as a result of reading Jane Grigson, or perhaps Richard Mabey, or indeed maybe Richard perhaps, I tried growing seakale forty years ago on my first allotment in Edmonton. Unfortunately it didn't germinate. There was a similar outcome with cardoons. I might have better success these days.

There's some tradition of consuming edible shoots in the Spring when little other greenery is about. I guess only asparagus survives as a common crop but forced rhubarb and chicory are similar. Cobbett mentions 'hop tops', the emergent shoots, as being 'at least the equal of asparagus.'

They are something I'd be interested in trying to grow again. Perhaps, like salsify or root parsley, I won't be that impressed and decide to stick with easier and to my mind tastier crops, but it's worth a punt to see if they're any good.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:10 am

Yes I’ve heard of people eating hop shoots, but again not tried, I think Dorothy Hartley mentions it

I have a Sachertorte recipe my mother cut out of a Sunday paper in the late 60s, we’ve been making it occasionally ever since, though I haven’t made it for a while, never fails
The differences in our version are +almonds, - rum syrup (though I think I’ve tasted that) and ours is baked in two tins rather than sliced after baking, much easier imo

I had a German neighbour years ago who baked beautifully, I think from what she said using a proportion of cornflour or potato starch is quite common in Germany and Austria

Postby Pampy » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:45 am

I like the sound of this halloumi dish https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... 3650da9686

Postby mistakened » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:00 pm

Versions of that dish are available in most up market tavernas in Cyprus. The fruit varies with the season

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:11 pm

I get regular mails from a restaurant we went to in Barcelona called El Passadis de Pep. This recipe looks simple and delicious, especially if you can get hold of some fresh clams!

Clams with ham

In a pan, put a little of olive oil to heat. When it is hot, add the chilli, the sliced ham and the clams. Sauté very little and add the garlic and parsley that we previously minced. Sauté and when the clams are almost open, add the Sherry. Sear again and in two or three minutes they can be removed from the heat and they are ready to eat!

*It is important to do it very quickly because the water in the clams doesn't evaporate and they remain dry.
Ingredients (4 pax)

- 500 gr. of clams
- 50 gr. of diced ham (not too salty)
- 1 chilli
- Olive oil
- Salt
- Pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- Parsley
- 1/2 small glass of Sherry

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:23 pm

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:43 pm

smoked haddock macaroni cheese

I made it a couple of months ago.
Prefer it without the fish.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:05 am

I’ve heard of people eating hop shoots

Never mind the shoots; just give me the hops.
Preferably fermented with yeast, barley and water :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:45 am

I have to admit I´ve never understood why people compete to eat chiles. Ego? I wonder; more like masochism or some macho man / woman thing to me. Same goes for that dreadful "Man vs Food" show a few years ago. Chiles have flavour, and if you stuff 30 down your gullet, the flavour will certainly be lost.
Agreed, some people have a higher resistance than others, and some countries eat far, far hotter food than others. Everyone used to say that the Mexicans were the craziest hot chile eaters, but, having tried South East Indian, Trinidadian, Sri Lankan and Thai dishes, I´d say the Mexicans are way behind. Mexican dishes, however, really get the best out of the flavour of the chiles; I´m sure other countries value the flavour as well, but the level of heat from Thai/Sri Lankan dishes is out of my taste range!
I´ve been working with chiles for almost 20 years, always try them before I use them, have actually studied them, have given talks about chiles at gourmet events and have sold loads of bottles of my products, but as a cook, I think the most important thing is the flavour. Some are floral, some are perfumed, some are decidedly citric , some are sweet and some have that wonderful "fresh green" flavour (no other way to describe them!). Use a chopped green chile to finish off a dish of stir-fried broccoli with lime juice - wonderful. In Mexico, I ate some cochinito pibil tortillas - with a habanero, red onion and lime "salsa". Perfect to offset the fatty pork. A mint, coriander, tamarind and chile chutney is a glorious side to a rich, pastry-covered samosa. Therefore, to just whack them down to see whether your toenails sweat seems like a bit of a waste of time.
Mind you; live and let live! I´ve never seen the point of lunatics driving in interminable circles at 250mph round Silverstone, but lots of folks think watching a test Match is like watching a tortoise run a marathon.
Each to their own!

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:48 am

Amen to that. Each to their own, as you say. I suppose it's a similar issue with fine dining. Not everyone can do it (in that case because of the cost), some do so because they can, some really enjoy the experience, some feel it reflects upon them in some way, although others will view it differently. There's snobbery and inverted snobbery involved in both cases too.

I'm always reminded of the Goodness Gracious Me sketch where they go into a British restaurant and demand the blandest thing on the menu.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:53 am

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:44 pm

If you can cope with the length of this it’s very interesting.

https://www.eater.com/22315684/vegan-ch ... ery-brands

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:35 pm

I'm afraid I don't think I qualify as a chocoholic!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/articles/chocolate_quiz

I only got 6/10 - my guesses weren't always right!!

Postby miss mouse » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:44 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Cool Hand Luke
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3oMPqUTxCE

What a horrible link.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:25 pm

miss mouse wrote:
Stokey Sue wrote:Cool Hand Luke
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3oMPqUTxCE

What a horrible link.

To be honest I assumed most people would know it already