Register

Sugar and Liver

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Sugar and Liver

Postby mark111757 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:51 pm

https://easyhealthoptions.com/sneaky-ad ... roduction/

The bro texted me this article. Was a good read I thought....

Re: Sugar and Liverpool's

Postby Amyw » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:53 pm

I wouldn’t say it’s particularly ground breaking as basically stating sugar is bad for you and to avoid a lot of processed foods with hidden added sugars in.

Basically as I believe everything in moderation

Re: Sugar and Liver

Postby ZeroCook » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:57 pm

Overall quality of diet is really what counts and how industrially processed what you eat is. Sugar isn't in and of itself the problem. If you're eating a lot highly processed food chances are that there are a whole slew of other highly processed ingredients and extra additives and industrial food/chemical processes included in what you are putting into your body.

More importantly perhaps, it would appear to be an argument put out in the media to support the continued massive usage (and consumption) of high fructose corn syrup in industrially produced and processed foods, particularly in the US.

The article itself is a click-bait digest taken from a single study, probably or possibly commissioned by the high fructose corn syrup industry.

That would worth looking at.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:35 pm

Not terribly impressed by a dietary study in less than 100 people all the same gender for less than 2 months tbh

Also not terribly impressed by a journalist who doesn’t give proper references to the scientific papers she is apparently explaining to us; the reference given is to another piece of journalism in Science Daily, the actual research is

Bettina Geidl-Flueck, Michel Hochuli, Ágota Németh, Anita Eberl, Nina Derron, Harald C. Köfeler, Luc Tappy, Kaspar Berneis, Giatgen A. Spinas, Philipp A. Gerber. Fructose- and sucrose- but not glucose-sweetened beverages promote hepatic de novo lipogenesis: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of Hepatology, 2021; DOI: 10.1016/j.jhep.2021.02.027

There’s an editorial insert in the piece which says
Editor’s note: The truth is there are lots of proven and effective natural and alternative ways to turn type 2 diabetes around. And you can find them in Forbidden Secrets From Nature’s Pharmacy to Reverse Diabetes and Blood Sugar Problems!
This is simply a lie
Agree with ZeroCook, click bait

I’m pretty sure more than 10% of the population of western nations drinks a can of sugared soda daily, or eats rather more sugar in doughnuts, desserts, and processed food but the prevalence of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease is less than 10% so it’s not that easy to provoke, although the increasing rate is a concern

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/10/8/e036663

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:33 pm

Must confess, I saw the thread title and thought "that sounds like an odd combination" :D

That said, there are a few Ken Hom dishes in which liver is marinated in sugar, soy and rice wine before stir-frying and they're all nice. :yum

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox