Register

Remarkable Places to Eat

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Remarkable Places to Eat

Postby Busybee » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:11 pm

This was on bbc2 last night and featured Yorkshire.

It featured our beloved Bettys tea rooms, I do hope Binky managed to catch it?

I think I must be a glutton, as bar the small samosas shop in Leeds I am a regular at all the other places featured :oops:

The cheese shop really is special, as is the fish and chip place at Saltburn.

It was a rather unrelentingly positive programme (not very Yorkshire, as we like a good grumble) but a watchable hour, I’m sure it’s probably on iplayer.

BB

Re: Remarkable Places to Eat

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:17 pm

Thanks for the heads-up BB. I'll try and find it.

Postby Binky » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:18 pm

Yes, I saw it BusyBee! And not only that, we were enjoying a Fat Rascal at the same time...

I wonder if it was the same lady putting 'faces' on the Rascals who did ours?

Postby scullion » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:22 pm

i watched it.
the samosa place looked good. they will have queuing round the block with that advertising.
the crab sandwich and chips had eye appeal, too - shame it was crab!
i have to say i got a little peeved by the unrelenting enthusiasm.
the fondant fancies wouldn't have made it to my plate nor my partner's - we really dislike icing.
betty's looks amazing but i'm not sure i want to go there. surely they make enough of a profit to think that a small bakery would make any difference if they use the name fat rascals for their fat rascals - isn't it a local delicacy rather than one invented by them?
i also bet it wouldn't dent their profit if they gave out the recipe. surely people go (and have postal service) for the experience not just for fat rascals - and there are recipes online which purport to being just like theirs.

Postby Binky » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:48 pm

I would say that a slightly sloppier rock bun recipe would work equally well. They're not as crumbly as a scone, or as rich (we have all butter scones with clotted cream and Tiptree jam as an afternoon treat once a month).

Betty's is a huge draw for tourists, at least the one in York is. My mother wouldn't go in, despite living in York, as she thought the prices were outrageous. She saw Russell Crowe in the queue one day but even that didn't encourage her to join it.

Postby Busybee » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:18 pm

What I find odd about the whole whoha about the fat rascal trademark is that a member of the Bettys family, Antony Wild, has a recipe book which details the actual recipe. So as the recipe has been published I can’t see why other cafes etc can’t use it.

Admittedly, he doesn’t actually put a face on them a la Bettys but they are clearly called fat rascals, and it’s a good recipe which gets made regularly.

The programmed touched on the heritage, all the odd leftover bits thrown together to make a rascal.

I know what you mean Scully about the enthusiasm, most unYorkshire like!

BB

Postby Binky » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:38 pm

There is a BBC GoodFood recipe for Fat Rascals. The recipe has been known for years according to Wikipedia, but Betty's copyrighted the name.

A bakery in Whitby calls his rascals Whitby Fatties. I suppose you could call your copies Scoundrels or BadBoys and Betty's would be able to do anything about it. :tongueout

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:02 pm

I watched the programme. The food looked great but I agree about the enthusiasm - a bit syrupy! I was interested to see the rolls for the crab being slathered in butter for the final glaze.

Betty's was crammed to the gills when I went there, it looked far better on the programme! I find the style of seating disappointing visually and not proper 'tea shop' and was reminded when I saw it again last night. Although I realised that Fat Rascals predated Betty's, I hadn't realised they were originally made from scraps.

Next week is the New Forest. Can't see any more advertised after that.

Postby Linnet » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:13 pm

Watched it just for the Malham Cove bit, my home ground, and can't go there at the mo.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:15 pm

Linnet, a few years ago some friends and I rented a cottage on Townend Farm. We had lovely views of Malham.

https://townendfarmshop.co.uk/

Postby herbidacious » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:34 pm

I bought some Fat Rascals from a shop (Hunters?) in Helmelsey. They called them something else - somethign with a tongue in cheek riff on fast rascals - but that's basically what they were.

51001596579_2f0f326e2a_c.jpg

My favourite Betty's things are the Yorkshire curd tarts (which you can get anywhere in North and West Yorks? But not in South Yorkshire) and the pale stem ginger cake. Would love a recipe for the latter.

Postby slimpersoninside » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:12 pm

We might be in Yorkshire some time later this year and I really must try a Yorkshire Curd Tart, never had one before but they seem to have quite a following!

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:56 pm

We went up to Betty's in Harrogate a few years ago, we stayed in the town and went to Harlow Carr too. I was keen to try the fat rascals and the curd tarts, both of which I'd read about many years ago as local specialities. We like them both, though I prefer the tarts. I remain irritated by Betty's trademarking the name though.

Postby WolfGirl » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:52 am

Before we moved up to Yorkshire so many people said to me, oh you must try the fat rascals, or you must try the Yorkshire curd tart. So of course, I did and I won’t be bothering again. Am I the only one?

Postby herbidacious » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:01 am

I am not a fan of fat rascals, but I like the tart and it would be a faff to make them yourself from scratch. No it's not gourmet, and it does need to be fresh. We had some so so ones when were were up there in autumn that were clearly not very fresh. It maybe that for me I have a strong motivation for liking such things as they are connected to the places I am from. That said, I wonder just where these things were made, traditionally. I was too young to remember much when I left West Yorkshire for South, but visited my grandmother regularly in West Yorks and never had them there (although grandma was a very good cake and pastry cook and always made lots of thigns for us.) I first noticed them last time I was in Hebden Bridge last time I went about 4 years ago. Are they really North Yorkshire but have drifted south a bit to West Yorkshire?

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:37 am

WolfGirl wrote:Before we moved up to Yorkshire so many people said to me, oh you must try the fat rascals, or you must try the Yorkshire curd tart. So of course, I did and I won’t be bothering again. Am I the only one?

No, but I’m not a fan of afternoon tea “treats”, I don’t feel the joy

Postby Pampy » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:43 am

Linnet wrote:Watched it just for the Malham Cove bit, my home ground, and can't go there at the mo.

That brings back memories of many years ago - when I was at school, we used to go on field trips to Malham Cove. I vividly remember the limestone pavement with its clints and grikes. I loved going there.

Postby northleedsbhoy » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:22 pm

I’ve lived in West Yorkshire for nearly 30 years and was told about Betty’s when I first moved here. I’ve been past their shops in Harrogate and York many times but never felt the urge to queue to go in as I’m not really an afternoon tea type person. Several people I’ve spoken to are of the opinion that they’re overpriced and overrated.

In my travels around the area I have come across some really great small independent bakers who probably deserve as much, if not more hype than Betty’s.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby oat » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:44 pm

I think my Mum used to make curd using milk and epsom salts.
I have no idea if there was anything else with it, or I might be remembering something completly different.
Having moved back to East Yorkshire after 23 years away I feel its my duty to sample as many yorkshire curd tarts as I can. :yum

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:02 pm

I'm sure I have bought curd cheese in a supermarket but not in the last couple of decades.
That would mean I was living in Sheffield, Leeds or Liverpool.

I'm also pretty sure I bought it to make a curd tart, and it included currants and lemon zest.

But I might be mistaken.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox