Register

One dessert

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: One dessert

Postby ZeroCook » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:33 pm

herbidacious wrote:I am trying to diet (and am succeeding in not eating much, but not in losing weight, but that's by the by.) In the interests of this I have cut out sugar for the most part, but am allowing myself one dessert a week.

What would people have if they were doing the same?

But honestly? No dessert.

If you're trying to lose body mass (we don't say weight anymore :lol: ), following a diet plan and not losing weight, which is not really by the by, then it's probably not the best time to reward yourself with fatty, sugary, carby treats. Which are also a brain thing.

TBH, we very rarely eat desserts - OH has zero taste for sugar so I know that if desserts are made, I'll end up being the main consumer. I have no off switch for certain foods.

I have a really good simple phone app that calorie counts, analyses ingredients and nutrition when I want to decrease a bit and is not primarily about particular foods unless a user wants that. When I do it I weigh what I eat. I log calories. Eat less calories, lose weight. You can input recipes you make, too. If you aren't losing bm you might not be counting your calorie input. Back to desserts, I found out pretty soon that wiping out half a day's calorie budget in a few mouthfuls of delectable dessert leaves me feeling hungry and not well fed. Well, duh, and when I look at the log and analysis of what what I've eaten I know why.

eta: A good brain fix is still a piece of fruit - corny but true.

Last edited by ZeroCook on Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Suelle » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:40 am

ZeroCook wrote:
I have a really good simple phone app that calorie counts, analyses ingredients and nutrition when you want to slim down and is not primarly about particular foods unless you want that. When I do it I weigh what I eat. I log calories. Eat less calories, lose weight. You can input recipes you make, too. If you you aren't losing bm you're probably not counting your calorie input. You find out pretty soon that scoffing half a day's calorie budget in a few mouthfuls of delectable dessert leaves you feeling hungry and not well fed. When you look at the log and analysis of what what you've eaten you know why.

This probably isn't the right thread to argue with you, but for many people there's more to losing weight than counting calories. If it works for you, fine, but it doesn't for everyone.

There are psychological barriers that prevent people sticking to diets and keeping weight off once it's lost, as well as the influence of hormones (the levels of which might be determined by individual genetic make up). These hormones, in effect, urge us to eat even while out brains tell us that eating will make us gain weight.

For some people the crutch of something sweet (or other 'forbidden' treats) is important, and it is certainly possible to include them in one's food intake while still losing weight. You speak from your experience and I speak from mine - I lost over 30kg (nearly 5 stone) while still eating cakes and desserts occasionally. It wasn't calorie counting, and for the first time in my whole adult life, I've kept off most of that weight. I don't preach that it's the only way to lose weight though - everyone needs to find out what works for them!
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Pampy » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:00 am

Some medications can also cause you to gain weight. And if a diabetic doesn't get their insulin dose exactly right, it can cause you to feel very hungry - as I know from bitter experience.
I think that for some people, paying slavish attention to calorie counting can be counter-productive as the slightest fall "off the wagon" can be seen as complete failure, resulting in the attempt to lose weight to be abandoned. For others, it works. You just have to find what's best for yourself - and if that includes having 1 treat a week, then have it!

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:34 am

Sorry. Had no idea and no idea it was such a deep issue.. No offence intended.

Postby jeral » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:25 am

Another complication said consistently but not frequently is that fruit and veg turn to sugar so although healthy can still be very fattening. As vegetarians eat rather a lot of them, it might be worth looking at one of those diets that encourage more high fibre veg that are filling but pass straight through.

I happened across one last week but forget what it was called - maybe someone else knows? There's a list below of which veg are high fibre that might help to start with:

https://www.myfooddata.com/articles/veg ... -fiber.php

As to desserts, I like boozy ones starting with a slice of freezable cake (most cakes are). Made in ramekins, two usually, one to freeze. I don't have a sweet tooth so have never eaten dessert, and make them less sweet or sugarless (bar the cake) if I do. Otherwise maybe a biscuit or two, or nothing. I weaned my tooth off sweet as a teen by drinking diluted cider vinegar before meals and sucking lemons for fun :)
Just to annoy you, I notice that Gu pots are half price at Ocado. Are they "V"? If you stick to one, they're quite small.

Postby scullion » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:48 am

I can't remember if it's you or someone else who dislikes chocolate but a pud that I make,which can be frozen, and in very small portions cos it's very rich, is equal weights of double cream and dark chocolate, melted together and chilled, it's so rich you only need a small portion.

I do like a baked, lemon and sultana, Jewish style cheesecake, too.

Postby Amyw » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:54 am

I do think with the whole weightless thing, different approaches suit different people. I've been calorie counting for the last few weeks which works really well for me , but other people swear by Slimming World which doesn't do it for me at all.

Another thing I'd advise is not to just rely on the scales. Numbers can fluctuate on a daily basis . I've not lost much the last couple of weeks but have lost a lot of inches that I measure weekly and I also take progress photos weekly , front, side and back and can definitely see the changes

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:45 pm

For me if I want to attempt weight loss I have to think of it as eating better, as soon as the terms 'diet' or 'losing weight' are attached to it I become obsessed with food!

Postby herbidacious » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:06 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Nice!

Personally, Herbi.
I'd find a different treat. If you are cutting back at the moment but not losing weight, I'm thinking you are eating treats - and why the heck not!

But treats sound like they are your downfall.

I would learn to love something else. EM's powerballs are excellent, and you cannot have too much.
Make some truffles - again something you cannot have too much of.

But try not to eat cakes or puddings, where you can slip back into eating them too much again.
Get them out of your system.

(PS, I've very good at dropping things completely from my diet, such as bread, or potatoes, caffeine).

I have to protest, I am emphatically not eating treats! Or breakfast or much lunch. I am not eating bread (so no butter either), pasta once a fortnight, maybe, no bread, potatoes once in a blue moon. No snacks at all. Just cereal or a glass of meal substitute during the day, or maybe a couple of ryvitas with cottage cheese, then a first course (nothing extraordinarily calorific) in the evening. I am hungry most of the time, including bedtime. I only drink water and coffee. (Usually about 4 coffees in the morning and 1-2l of water in the evening.)

I don't normally eat many carbs. I am not a snacker and this hasn't changed in the last year. The main change in diet over the last year has been desserts and chocolate, so it seems obvious that these are the thing to radically reduce. The other big difference is not walking to the station and back 5 days a week. I need to make myself do this... but I find it very tiring. (When I do it going to work, I get to have rests in between various bits of what amount to about 3km.) There was also walking around the office of course too, and running up and down the stairs at Blackfriars and Farringdon...

Last time I looked I had lost 5lbs. But this has taken a month! Ridiculous. I have got over the sugar cravings now. I am sticking to one dessert a week. Generally I find abstinence far easier than restraint although I am being very restrained with my food intake. I have not problems with self control. I don't like feeling full.

One upside with all this is that I have managed to do it without feeling hypoglaecemic which is usually an initial problem with dieting for me.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:10 pm

I should also add that I don't eat fruit. That counts in the no sugar calculation. I appreciate there is a bit of sugar in my no sugar muesli in the form of raisins, which are also fruit... but I eat this probably twice a week (for lunch.)

I lost two stone over 2.5 months 7 years ago doing what I am doing now. But I was not post menopausal then and getting a bit more exercise (i.e. walking to the station and back!)

I kept most of that weight off, give or take 4lbs, until March 2020.

The weight has come on in places it never used to i.e. my hips. Surely a post menopausal thing.
Last edited by herbidacious on Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby aero280 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:18 am

When I lost a lot of weight. 30Kg in 18 months, that was less than 4 lb a month. So 5lb is pretty good. If you crash diet and lose a lot quickly, you are more likely to put it back on quickly.

I have started to slip a bit on this recent lockdown. It's been cold and all the exercise I would do would be DIY, and most of what's needed is outdoors. i find that difficult these days because cold weather causes cramps in my hands.

Postby Amyw » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:34 am

Personally I think it sounds like you’re eating way too little . I don’t think anyone should be feeling hungry most of the day , even if you’re trying to lose weight .

These are my results in six weeks . I’ve only lost half a stone but a lot of inches . I’m on 1800 calories a day, though admittedly working out a fair bit and eat three meals a day plus a snack .

If you don’t eat enough calories , it slows your metabolic rate down, which will lead to tiredness and your body can actually then hold onto fat , slowing your weight loss down a lot . Women shouldn’t go below 1200 calories a day .

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:22 am

Herbi. I think I'd take a look at Michael Moseley's book or website https://thefast800.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9 ... QWEALw_wcB

I've been doing it for a year and am over a stone lighter, lighter in fact than I've been for 20 years. It's a sequel to the one Suelle does, the 5:2, but a bit more rigid. Given that I haven't been doing my usual 800 metre morning swim for most of the year I'm impressed.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:40 am

PP I think I bought that book, but didn't do it because I thought I would be hypoglaecemic on it. Maybe now it would be easier.

Amy you are a lot younger than me. I'd have lost a hell of lot more in this timescale on this (my) diet in my 30s. I would currently gain weight on 1800, I think.

One's body might hold on to fat, but ultimately you should lose weight on a low calorie diet. I suppose I have to be patient (actually I think I am being) but this really is a very long time to see so little weight loss. I had a 1lb gain this morning, presumably from eating more on Saturday, when we had a curry (although I also walked a lot more than usual on Saturday.)

I will try harder to exercise.

This wasn't really intended to be a thread about dieting, but about really nice non-diet desserts. It was perhaps ill conconceived to start it.

Postby Amyw » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:56 am

I didn’t mean to cause any offence Herbi , I just strongly believe no one should ever feel hungry and tired when trying to lose weight , as it’s supposed to be a positive thing physically and mentally .

Apologies again if I’ve upset you , the downside of posting on forums is the context sometimes

Postby jeral » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:56 pm

A favourite cupcake-thing used to be simple Rice Krispies or cornflakes stirred into melted dark chooclate and left to set as clumps. Healthy as added vitamins are in the Krispies and a doddle to calorie count ;) I still like them but rarely manage to keep the chocolate long enough to make them :oops:

There's a slightly more elaborate version here with peanut butter and syrup, which might suit better as they're probably more chewy so would "eat longer":
https://lovingitvegan.com/rice-krispie-treats/

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:19 pm

When my children went to playgroup I discovered chocolate cornflakes cakes with added raisins! A delightful addition.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:54 pm

herbidacious wrote:I should also add that I don't eat fruit. That counts in the no sugar calculation. I appreciate there is a bit of sugar in my no sugar muesli in the form of raisins, which are also fruit... but I eat this probably twice a week (for lunch.)

I lost two stone over 2.5 months 7 years ago doing what I am doing now. But I was not post menopausal then and getting a bit more exercise (i.e. walking to the station and back!)

I kept most of that weight off, give or take 4lbs, until March 2020.

The weight has come on in places it never used to i.e. my hips. Surely a post menopausal thing.

Herbi, there is a programme on ch5 on Wednesday night at 8 pm : Why do I put on Weight ?

Might be worth a watch :thumbsup

Postby herbidacious » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:17 pm

Amyw wrote:I didn’t mean to cause any offence Herbi , I just strongly believe no one should ever feel hungry and tired when trying to lose weight , as it’s supposed to be a positive thing physically and mentally .

Apologies again if I’ve upset you , the downside of posting on forums is the context sometimes

No, no you didn' upset me. Sorry if it came across that way.

Postby jeral » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:16 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:When my children went to playgroup I discovered chocolate cornflakes cakes with added raisins! A delightful addition.

I was wondering about halved raisins or chopped date or apricot (all very sweet) but didn't know if you were supposed to rehydrate them in boiling water (or tea, booze etc) for something like this or just bung 'em in? Ta.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox