Register

One dessert

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

One dessert

Postby herbidacious » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:26 pm

I am trying to diet (and am succeeding in not eating much, but not in losing weight, but that's by the by.) In the interests of this I have cut out sugar for the most part, but am allowing myself one dessert a week.

What would people have if they were doing the same?

I suppose this is really a, 'what's your favourite dessert?' question, but I am also fishing for ideas - if it's only once a week it ought to be really good. A dessert that is really worth the calories. I am not a dessert maker, as a rule, but am prepared to make one as long as there aren't loads of leftovers to tempt me for a second day.

Re: One dessert

Postby Suelle » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:57 pm

This requires some thought! The biggest problem, as I see it, is small portions (or no leftovers).

I'll be back! 8-)
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Amyw » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:21 pm

I'd want something really satisfying and sweet so maybe sticky toffee pudding and cream or similar .

Restricting to one day a week wouldn't work for me personally. I have a sweet tooth and have been calorie counting but have made sure I've got enough calories for something sweet each day . Rolo and milky bar mousses are only about 80 calories a pot and then I hide them at the back of the fridge . Hartley's also do pots of 10 cal jelly I have with squirty cream or an options hot choc with marshmallows and squirty cream.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:35 pm

I am finding it easier to abstain than restrain, Amy! I realize how hooked I was on sweet stuff. The first week was surprisingly difficult. I am not a snacker, but found myself really craving dessert after dinner. I am now getting used to it. It's better for me too as I am prone to hypoglycemia. My blood sugar levels are stabliizing.

If I squirt squirty cream, the cats go nuts. (They love it and can hear it from the bottom of the 100ft garden :) )

Postby Pampy » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:01 am

Could you find anything here? Maybe one of these desserts won't be as sinful :D https://natvia.com/sugar-free-recipes/

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:40 am

I think you can get to a point where you don't 'expect' a dessert within a couple of weeks - it's getting through that couple of weeks!

Desserts are such a personal thing, some really crave chocolate for instance and others want something hot with custard or something creamy chilled. On one very strict (and very successful) diet I went on I made quite a ritual about going to the local newsagent on a Saturday morning and buying a weekend newspaper and a Mars bar. That Mars bar was my only sweet thing of the week and I really looked forward to it.

I think, in the situation you are in and not wanting leftovers, I would probably go for bought trifle or some sort of super duper ice cream.

Postby herbidacious » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:47 am

I'll have a good luck, Pampy. Thank you.

Yes, EM, I think I am there now. This minute I am hungry (should not have had dinner so early), but am not particularly wanting dessert.

Yes, I suppose bought desserts might be the way to (continue to) go. I do have some forced rhubarb that's just about ready too, so maybe make up some crumble mixture and freeze some.

I am actually genuinely interested in what other people's favourite desserts are too.

Postby Suelle » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:51 am

I'm in the Amyw camp - restrain not abstain. Even when watching food intake, I allow for something sweet in the evening.

Midweek, I usually have unsweetened natural yogurt with a drizzle of date syrup, and a tablespoon of basic granola (no added fruits or nuts). Sometimes cooked fruit and yogurt - rhubarb, gooseberries, blackberries and apples etc.

When I feel that a more substantial dessert is permissible - high days and holidays (and weekends) - I bake a cake that is suitable for freezing. That way I can have one or two slices and freeze the rest in individual portions. Over time that gives me a good selection in the freezer, to pull out and thaw in about 30 minutes (or straight away in the microwave if it's a dessert emergency). Most types of cake, except those with frosting or filled with buttercream, freeze well! Loaf cakes are good from a practical point of view - wrap and stack easily in the freezer.

Most of the desserts I really like, from an indulgent point of view, aren't the type which freeze well, or easily made in small portions - chocolate mousse, lemon tart, cheesecake, pavlova - so this sort of question can't be answered by telling you my favourite dessert.

Do you like ice cream? Lots of choice in individual-sized portions.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby aero280 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:03 am

When i lost weight, I drank water when I felt the need for a snack. I ate a normal cereal based breakfast. A lunch based on a fat free yogurt and fresh fruit, or a salad sandwich. Then supper was normal but low fat. Any bread and jam had no butter, etc. It won't be quick, but it worked. 30 Kg lost in 18 months.

No sweets. No snacks between meals. No crisps. Stuff like that.

Over the next few years I have sadly put 10 Kg back on, half of that during this latest lockdown. Must do better. :(

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:46 am

I´d make a panacotta, with yoghurt, and topped with pineapple/ginger syrup.
nuffink else! :gonzo

Postby ZeroCook » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:56 am

So many desserts so little time :D

Mille feuille with Michel Roux's creme pat and fresh fruit - raspberries are a fave.

Classic New York cheesecale (baked) with a berry topping.

Ice cream, gelato, sorbet.
My current favourite to make at home - posted on Gill's xmas thread - is klondike strawberry ice cream, a tweak on a seriouseats copycat recipe for American Klondike ice cream bars, to which I add crushed fresh or frozen berries but great plain or with anything you like added in. The recipe (I don't do the bars or choc dip, just the ice cream) is basically swiss meringue - which is fun to make - with beaten cream added. Great ice cream base, no machine needed. Stays scoopable straight from the freezer and keeps well too. Highly recommended.

The recipe
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/201 ... ecipe.html

The kitchen lab with pics and photo steps
https://www.seriouseats.com/2018/09/hom ... -bars.html

My tweak

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:24 am

Nice!

Personally, Herbi.
I'd find a different treat. If you are cutting back at the moment but not losing weight, I'm thinking you are eating treats - and why the heck not!

But treats sound like they are your downfall.

I would learn to love something else. EM's powerballs are excellent, and you cannot have too much.
Make some truffles - again something you cannot have too much of.

But try not to eat cakes or puddings, where you can slip back into eating them too much again.
Get them out of your system.

(PS, I've very good at dropping things completely from my diet, such as bread, or potatoes, caffeine).

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:34 am

I think if I was on a diet I wouldn't go mad calorie-wise. I'd probably make a Knickerbocker Glory. Lots of fresh fruit, sugar-free jelly, ice cream, fruit purée and a few chopped nuts. It's so easy to undo all the good work with a really hefty, sugary dessert.

Postby Suffs » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:12 am

For me it’s a plain vanilla panna cotta .... or a pancake with a tiny sprinkle of caster sugar and a squirt of lemon.

Postby aero280 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:22 am

Be wary of processed things. I hadn’t realised how much sugar there was in supermarket fruit juices.

Postby Seatallan » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:35 am

Really good (or home made) ice cream. You can make it last ages if you eat it with a teaspoon and let it go all melty. :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:16 pm

It would be Lemon Posset for me... :yum I only make it when I am catering for others too, but on the whole I rarely have dessert. The only sweet thing my daughter requests is my mum's tea bread.

I have 1 square of 85% coco solids chocolate (Tesco) every morning. I have convinced myself it is for medicinal purposes so this alleviates any guilt feelings ... ;)
Last edited by PatsyMFagan on Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Lokelani » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:21 pm

Tiramisu is the treat I crave. Maybe chocolate mousse, or lemon mousse. Lemon posset is the treat I make if for the weekend if I have cream going out of date.

Ice cream is good because the leftovers obviously keep in the freezer! As do chocolate brownies, choc tiffin etc.

I find abstaining easier than restraining. The 5:2 way of eating is the only one that seems to work for me, as I can deprive myself one day knowing I can eat whatever it was I wanted the next! Depriving myself day in day out just results in me eating way more than ever when I can't stand it any longer!

Postby Binky » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:55 pm

I was going to say pannacotta too, but see others have got there before me. A lovely creamy treat, and as you can put it into individual ramekins, portion control is a doddle.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:45 pm

Mine would have to be pecan pie with clotted cream.

I am rather obsessed with the Aldi Belgian chocolate puddings which come in a pack of two. 30 seconds in the microwave for an instant oozy chocolate hit. We only buy them once a week...they don’t last long in our house!

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox