Register

What are you baking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What are you baking this week?

Postby Binky » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:01 pm

Thank you for the compliment.

The style is Villeroy & Boch French Garden "Fleurance".

Postby Busybee » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:35 pm

Binky wrote:Thank you for the compliment.

The style is Villeroy & Boch French Garden "Fleurance".

Thanks, they are very pretty.

BB

Postby slimpersoninside » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:41 pm

Binky, not wishing to be too personal but I like the look of your buns :o :lol: .

I made some blueberry muffins today, just had one with my afternoon cuppa, not too shabby.

Postby Binky » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:00 pm

slimpersoninside wrote:Binky, not wishing to be too personal but I like the look of your buns :o :lol: .

Ooh missus. You are awful but I like you < said in the voice of Dick Emery>

Postby aero280 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:09 pm

Miserable failure yesterday. I made some more Portuguese tarts. They were dense and tasted bland. :(

Then I re-read the recipe and realised that I had left out the sugar syrup... it was supposed to be added to the mix, with a bit leftover for glazing. I just did the glaze. I wondered why there was a lot left over! :roll: :roll: :oops:

I have sprinkled them with mixed peel, and they are just about edible.

Postby slimpersoninside » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:05 pm

Today I have made some cheese scones for lunch. Just looking forward to lunch time now :lol: .
P1004755 1.jpg
P1004755 1.jpg (220.92 KiB) Viewed 3485 times

Postby Pampy » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:06 pm

They look absolutely delish!

Postby slimpersoninside » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:17 pm

Not wishing to blow my own trumpet but they were very nice. Two are now in the freezer for another day, never as good but 'refreshed' in the oven they're almost there.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:48 pm

They look lovely, slimpersoninside. I cannot bake successful scones. I don't know what I do wrong as a couple of my friends tell me they're dead easy!
Bought ones are ok but they always seem to have that weird slightly metallic taste - is that the bicarb or something? Sometimes cakes can have it too, maybe if too much baking powder has been added?

Postby aero280 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:01 pm

My scones were often a mess. I was told to rest them for 10 minutes before baking, but it didn't make much difference. I have found that my best scones are the ones in the River Cottage "Bread" book. That includes an egg.

Postby Amyw » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:29 pm

I love a good cheese scone alongside soup. I saw someone on IG post they were having chilli and cheese hot cross buns with their soup, I'm guessing it's basically a cheese and chilli soft roll

Postby Gruney2 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:43 pm

aero280 wrote:My scones were often a mess. I was told to rest them for 10 minutes before baking, but it didn't make much difference. I have found that my best scones are the ones in the River Cottage "Bread" book. That includes an egg.

I can't remember the name of the Irish lady from the beeb board, who made scones professionally - but I do remember her words of advice. It was not to knead them, and "cut them thick and cook them hot."

Postby Pampy » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:46 pm

M&S have a marmite and cheese hot cross bun on sale - it does sound just like a bread roll with a cross on the top!

I've heard that the scone mix should be handled as little as possible otherwise they don't rise properly. Also, you shouldn't twist the cutter as this stops them rising too.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:21 pm

I've noticed all kinds of Hot Cross bun flavours in M&S over the past couple of weeks. I'm a real Grumpy Old Woman when it comes to Hot Cross Buns. There is only one sort and that's a fruited and spiced bun with a glaze and a cross on top served over the Easter weekend. At a pinch they can be made with wholemeal flour rather than white and allowances can be made for gluten intolerance ;). Anything else is delicious, but not a Hot Cross Bun. That they are sold all year round has missed the whole point of an Easter treat.

Re scones. Yes, don't handle too much and never twist the cutter but the thing that was a gamechanger for me was realising that people who made thick and lavish ones rolled them quite thickly so that even though they rose, they were big in the first place. The thickness I was taught would never rise by that much even with the best raising agents in the world (though some people do add quite a lot of baking powder which I am not keen to do). I only discovered that some people use egg in recent years. I think it makes them a bit 'cakey' but I'm usually quite generous with the butter. It's odd because MIL used to make quite nice scones and she said that her secret, learned at school, was to knead the dough thoroughly. Everyone else says 'don't!'.

Postby jeral » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:43 pm

I'm sure I remember a baker pushing out the dough like shaping a pizza rather than rolling it. I recall that cutting scones "tall and narrow" rather than wide and flat was preferable.

Postby Pampy » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:37 am

Agree with you Earthmaiden - I'm a grump too about hot x buns - they can only be the traditional recipe for me. The chilli and cheese ones that Amyw mentioned are Aldi's, I think. Now I love chilli and cheese scones but the idea of hot x buns just doesn't appeal at all.

Postby Amyw » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:40 pm

For those that don’t know , I’m on my 9th day in isolation at work with adults with learning disabilities, one who has covid, hence the isolation . It’s been ... um tiring shall we say . As a treat for them today made a custard tart using coconut milk and caramelised spiced pineapple

Postby aero280 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:43 pm

That looks nice. :) Sadly, I dislike coconut, but the pineapple would do me!

I have just put a Simnel cake in the oven. The usual Mary Berry version that I've made for the last few years.

Postby aero280 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:06 am

And it's done! :)

Just got to mature for a few days before eating. OH reckons Easter Monday is the day, but it might be later if I make too many Hot Cross Buns for Friday. :roll:

IMG_3634.JPG
IMG_3634.JPG (60.09 KiB) Viewed 3270 times

Postby Pampy » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:15 am

Amy and aero - both look wonderful!
Sorry to hear that your lockdown has been hard work Amy - nearly finished now though. I think feet up with a large :wino and maybe a treat like some chocs. should be the order of the day when you get back home! :clap :clap for your dedication - I hope the residents appreciate how well you look after them.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox