Register

Cook-at-Home food boxes

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Cook-at-Home food boxes

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:41 am

I've heard they're quite good.

Quite a few local outlets have been doing veg boxes (some organic, some not) during these troubled times and most are excellent. Its' nice that people have supported local outlets but when 'normality' returns I expect they'll stop.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:44 am

Pepper Pig wrote:We’ve just had the main course from the St John box. I couldn’t be more underwhelmed.

Well! As mentioned the food from St John was well below par but I honestly couldn't fault the delivery company. I gave Feedback and Dishpatch (the deliverers) have apologised and sent me a £25 Gift Card. I feel a bit mean now because I did praise them, it was St John who were disappointing.

Postby Busybee » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:52 am

I could be wrong but I think Patsy uses Oddbox?

BB

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:46 pm

Local FB group is keen on Oddbox, but it seems a bit daft when I live 70m from a good greengrocer and there’s something about being told what I’m getting that makes my hackles rise (and at the moment of course so many things I can’t eat)

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:54 pm

Busybee wrote:I could be wrong but I think Patsy uses Oddbox?

BB

I'm sure you're right, BB. I don't know how often, whether it's once a week or a fortnight.

One of my friends gets Riverford every week and found it invaluable during lockdown as she also got milk and butter etc. She's just moved and put it on hold for a while, and just started it up again.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:16 pm

I’m hoping it’s going to get me back into planning and cooking properly again. Vegan son has offered to take anything surplus.

Will see how it goes. Thanks.

The other one my friend uses (when she needs milk/butter etc) is Wellock’s. Very good but quite a bit more expensive.

https://wellocksathome.co.uk/collection ... XNEALw_wcB

Postby herbidacious » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:43 pm

COOK are exclusively ready meals, though, surely?

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:58 pm

Yes Herbi, they are really. Quite good ones though and some of the current offerings from restaurants are just ready to reheat.

I just thought that the care packages sounded rather nice and know how delighted my friend, who hasn't been to a shop for months, was to eat something different which was quite decent. The cost isn't that different to a decent bouquet of flowers and could make a nice present for the right person/people.

Postby scullion » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:51 pm

while my son was living in london, before the onset, he had oddbox deliveries and was pleased with the content and value.
he stopped them when they started 'disappearing' from where they were left and they couldn't/wouldn't deliver at a time when he was there.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:59 pm

Yes. They only deliver overnight Scully.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:03 pm

scullion wrote:while my son was living in london, before the onset, he had oddbox deliveries and was pleased with the content and value.
he stopped them when they started 'disappearing' from where they were left and they couldn't/wouldn't deliver at a time when he was there.

Stealing parcels from people's doorsteps is so widespread nowadays, whether veg boxes or Amazon deliveries. A local Nextdoor website for Fulham reckons there's one woman who follows the Amazon delivery vans - apparently someone who was on the phone when Amazon came and took a few minutes to get to the door found her in his front garden.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:27 pm

Local woman I know had a parcel containing £250 of posh bed linen taken from her front garden, although delivery instructions clearly said there was no safe place to leave it, it could be left with the neighbour on either side or redelivered another day

You’d think any delivery person would guess this, as the garden is tiny and every inch is visible from the bus stop 3 metres away

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:57 pm

I’ve been bombarded with adverts on FB for Cornish Cream Teas by courier and am thinking it would be a nice thing to send my mum for Mothering Sunday on March 14th. She has been bubbling with a friend and it’s just the sort of thing they would enjoy. Does anyone have any experience of any of these?

Thanks.

Re parcels. My son has been gone for nearly a month now and is now redirecting his parcels back here because he’s in a block of flats and things keep going missing!

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:45 pm

I live in an area where front doors open straight onto the pavement.Before Covid, couriers would knock on many doors and beg people to take in parcels for neighbours several doors down - we all did. Since Covid, none of them do. They just leave parcels on doorsteps in the street. That's why I hate buying things online, you can guarantee they'll arrive if you are out for your one trip in a fortnight. I picked up a large box from a neighbour's step the other day as I knew she was at work all day. She was rather surprised at the size of the box as she'd only ordered a mascara and had assumed it would fit through the letterbox!

Sorry PP, not heard of the cream teas but it sounds a nice idea.

Postby dennispc » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:58 pm

Last year for my birthday daughter gave me a Devon Cream Tea from Devon Heaven. It was good.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:55 pm

Thanks Dennis. Noted. 8-)

Postby Suffs » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:47 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I’ve been bombarded with adverts on FB for Cornish Cream Teas by courier and am thinking it would be a nice thing to send my mum for Mothering Sunday on March 14th. She has been bubbling with a friend and it’s just the sort of thing they would enjoy. Does anyone have any experience of any of these?

Thanks.

Re parcels. My son has been gone for nearly a month now and is now redirecting his parcels back here because he’s in a block of flats and things keep going missing!

I organised a similar package for a relative's birthday a couple of years ago .... they were very pleased with the present ... can't for the life of me remember which firm we used, but they were definitely Cornwall based and I found them by the Cornwall Tourism website.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:02 pm

Thanks Suffs. I’m tempted by this company ATM.

https://thecornishhamperstore.co.uk/

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:11 pm

That looks great, PP :yum

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:02 am

I use Oddbox PP .... I have posted about it on here.

I think the price is quite reasonable ... £10.99 for their small fruit and veg box. However, you don't get a choice of what you get, although you can let them know what you DON'T want ...

I like the surprise of finding out what I am going to get, but have had apples every time since I started using them.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox