Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby WolfGirl » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:40 am

I set out with such good intentions last week, meaning to contribute to this thread on a daily basis.

So after that failure I shall try again. Last night we had a lovely roast chicken dinner with roasties, mashed carrot and parsnip, and Swiss chard, along with a black garlic and Madeira gravy. Tonight will be more of the chicken with a different selection of vegetables, yet to be decided.

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:50 pm

Simple stuff tonight, haddock fillet with salad and sautéed potatoes.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:12 pm

aubergines croquettes.JPG
aubergines croquettes.JPG (161.45 KiB) Viewed 3802 times
Pumpkin ravioli.JPG
Pumpkin ravioli.JPG (181.99 KiB) Viewed 3802 times

The last time I made ravioli they all stuck together because I piled one on top of another without any flour.
This time I got it right: pumpkin stuffed ravioli with sage butter. None of them fell apart!
To start with, I had an aubergine I needed to use up and a few bocconcini, so I cut the aubergine in slices, fried the slices with salt and a bit of garlic, then sandwiched a piece of bocconcini in the middle. Dipped in beaten egg, dipped in breadcrumbs, fried until crispy. The sauce was basically a tomato sauce, to which I added a few sundried tomatoes and some balsamic vinegar.
All washed down with a delicious Castillo de Molina Merlot.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:05 am

Very nice KK. I have never attempted ravioli or any stuffed pasta.

I’ve made a note of the black sauce! Sounds gorgeous.

Last night we had duck with aillade from Diana Henry’s Roast Figs, Sugar, Snow book. It’s been on my to make list for ages and it didn’t disappoint. We had it with salty duck fat potatoes and some steamed greens.

Tonight we had roast butternut squash stuffed with feta, olives, tomatoes and basil plus a green salad.

Tomorrow we’re having chicken parmigiana with aubergine and peppers added. Possibly garlic bread and salad with it.

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:22 pm

I have a glut of eggs, we both bought them :roll:
So tonight it will be potato and chorizo tortilla with a salad.

Postby WolfGirl » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:01 pm

We still have enough leftover chicken to feed two of us. When the kids were younger I always used the leftovers in a very simple dish of a white sauce with mushrooms, thyme, a chicken stock cube and the cooked cubed chicken. As it was a made up dish they named it Chicken Gunk.
That’s what we’ll be having tonight with rice and some fresh spinach.

We also have a lot of eggs so think it will be frittata tomorrow.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:22 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:Tonight we had roast butternut squash stuffed with feta, olives, tomatoes and basil plus a green salad.

That sounds lovely, OMCO.
Do you halve the squash lengthways, take out the seeds, stuff the cavity and roast it without peeling?

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:26 pm

Evening KC,

Yes, we halve, de-seed, stab the flesh a bit and add a drizzle of oil and s&p. Roast for 30-40 minutes and then we scoop out most of the flesh (leaving 1cm edge and bottom to help keep its shape). We mix the scooped flesh with the other ingredients before packing back in and roasting for another 20 minutes or so. So it’s served in its skin. We have tried various fillings but always come back to this one!

We had the parmigiana for dinner and it was pretty good. We made a batch of fruit and nut muffins during mid morning break from school and I’m tempted for one now. I was good earlier but I’m craving something sweet after such a savoury dinner.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:59 am

Definitely dining with OMCO or KK this week! I've made pumpkin ravioli before, might try it again sometime.

I had quite a few mushrooms lurking so decided to make Mushroom Stroganoff from a recipe I had when on a low everything and vegan diet. The recipe doesn't look very nice but every time I've made it I've really enjoyed it, especially now I give it a few tweaks (like using good turkey stock and garlic and adding extra veg ;) ). It was really nice. You're suppose to have it with noodles but I had some cooked rice to use up.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:15 pm

I have never managed to make ravioli etc. stick to itself (although not tried to for years.)

In general, I am not good at 'parcels'. I probably put too much filling in. Those look lovely.

I am finally making Ottolenghi's dirty rice tonight. It's all prepped. I just need to add the (already cooked) rice and take it from there.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:07 pm

..and don´t forget the dirt, Herbie. :gonzo :gonzo

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:06 pm

I really fancy the dirty rice dish! I might add it to the food list for next week.

I made little lamb koftas for dinner with roast potatoes with lemon and oregano. I made a salad alongside of gem lettuce, tomatoes, olives, cucumber, pomegranate and parsley. If I’d have stopped there it would have been fine. However in the absence of feta (which I’d planned to add but forgotten we’d finished off) I decide to grate parmesan on top. Parmesan and pomegranate was not good :roll:

Postby herbidacious » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:14 pm

We really enjoyed it.

Only faux dirt, Clive :)

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:23 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:Evening KC,

Yes, we halve, de-seed, stab the flesh a bit and add a drizzle of oil and s&p. Roast for 30-40 minutes and then we scoop out most of the flesh (leaving 1cm edge and bottom to help keep its shape). We mix the scooped flesh with the other ingredients before packing back in and roasting for another 20 minutes or so. So it’s served in its skin. We have tried various fillings but always come back to this one!

Thanks, OMCO! Next time I get a whole squash I'll try that. Unfortunately I've got a half atm but cut around the middle so the bulbous half with the seeds is the half that's left!

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:28 pm

herbidacious wrote:We really enjoyed it.

Only faux dirt, Clive :)

It looks delicious.
Did you have the cajun spice and black garlic? (What is black garlic btw?)

Edited to add that I looked it up and will get some - it looks amazing!

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:35 pm

Black garlic is lovely, KC2. It is milder than ordinary garlic, you can just eat it!

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:57 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Black garlic is lovely, KC2. It is milder than ordinary garlic, you can just eat it!

In that case maybe I should get the 250g pack!!
https://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/p ... -250g.html

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:23 am

Indian takeaway tonight, so no cooking, only reheating.
Vegetable bhuna, a lamb dish, rice and bread.

And a couple of glasses of Cobra.

Don't often do takeaway, think this was our 4th since Jan 2020.
We were vaccinated this evening and couldn't be bothered to cook.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:15 pm

Black garlic is aged. There are health claims made for it that suggest it's even better than fresh. It's very sweet.

I actually followed the recepe to the letter, for once. Ah, apart form using curly father than flat leaf parsley. I am incapable of following a recipe to the letter... but I came close

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:31 pm

We freeze black garlic when we can get it. I break the bulb into cloves and freeze them loose in a tub.

I am so happy that padron peppers are back in our veg box. It's pretty much the only time we have a pre dinner snack. A quick dry fry (or bbq) and served with parmesan and sea salt.

8C167CAD-08C3-450E-B721-1CA54A97F250.jpeg
8C167CAD-08C3-450E-B721-1CA54A97F250.jpeg (217.63 KiB) Viewed 3514 times

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox