Register

Wild about Chatter ... Vol. 5

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Wild about Chatter ... Vol. 5

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:42 pm

Morning all, sun shining here too! Not sure how long it's going to last. Must pop out to post a 90th (!) birthday card to my cousin.

Skipped the supermarket delivery tomorrow as there seemed to be too much in the fridge to make it worth doing, so we'll have to pick up some yogurt and milk from the local Tesco.

The leek quiche I made a few days ago is delicious, and still a bit left. I think I probably re-rolled the ready rolled pasty a bit too thinly as it sprung some leaks! (Sorry about the pun ... :oops: )

Have a good day, everyone.

Postby mistakened » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:43 pm

Suffs wrote:A house around the corner (small cul de sac) has been having a Wiltshire Farm delivery swiftly followed by a Tesco delivery around 9am every Tuesday during lockdown... we had mused on potential problems should they both arrive at once ... we need ponder no more ... they both arrived at once and were then blocked in by parents’ cars dropping off children at the school up the Rise. As predicted, there were ‘problems’.
Hours of free entertainment :lol:

I tried to send a routine movement permit SMS message before having my tootsies trimmed. My new phone was dead, I tried topping it up on a different charger, nothing happened. Luckily Deb had scanned and filed a paper movement permit, I completed that, not that the police have ever asked for one but Sod's Law says that I will be stopped on the day that I do not have one.
Before returning the phone to the shop I decided to reinsert the battery. I found that was not pressing to on switch hard enough or long enough. My little old fashioned Nokia only took a light touch to turn it on. Thank heavens I did not go back to the shop where some twelve year old would start it first time :oops:

Moira

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:16 pm

Morning all! :wave. Today's the day where a full sun was to appear for two hours at lunchtime according to the BBC. This is no longer the case but it's a lovely day anyway. I'm due for a hobble in the park with a long-suffering friend tomorrow but might go today as well rather than just walking round the boring block.

You've all been busy! An excellent curtain-twitching exercise Suffs :lol:. Well done re the hats, what a good thing to do. Let's hope we can work towards a bit of a cultural change as we go into the future. There was such a sad case here this week, a homeless man collapsed as he walked the miles towards a bed that had been found for him for the night. As he lay on the ground, someone stole the two rucksacks he was carrying which contained the little he owned including precious family photos. The only good thing to come out of it has been raised awareness and numerous offers of help for him and others.

So glad you can get away for your mother's birthday weekend, Herbi. I'm sure you can turn it into a nice jaunt away from the city as well as what I hope will be a happy celebration.

Off to enjoy this lovely day .. might even venture into the garden (shock, horror!).

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:41 pm

EM, how sad, there really seems to be a bottomless pit when it comes to this sort of craven behaviour.

Sorry you're still hobbling :(

Couldn't believe how strong the wind was walking back along the river - you really had to fight it to make any forward progress! At least it wasn't cold, though.

Postby Busybee » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:53 pm

Beautiful red sun rise this morning.

Birthday cake baked for OH in readiness for tomorrow, chocolate complete with the obligatory chocolate buttons.

Just about to take the dog out for a walk, it’s very windy here but bright blue skies.

BB

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:32 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:
Pampy wrote:Does anyone know if there was any mention of people who have had to extend shielding until 31st March? Is this still the case?

I couldn't see anything on the news websites Pampy. All my OH's shielding stuff has come from the NHS by snail mail. He had one letter last week (the seventh)! saying he must continue to shield until after his second jab when he'll be notified again. At present that is sceduled for the middle of April.

I have walked the dog. It's very pleasant out indeed. Next adventure is the tip at 9. Just removing the last of my son's junk.

Pampy, I think I’ve just heard on the BBC TV News that shielding will finish at the end of March.

Postby Pampy » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:38 pm

Thanks PP!

Postby miss mouse » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:57 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Good morning
Sunshine here!

Need to to get a dishwasher engineer, I’m not even sure there’s very much wrong with it, stuff comes out perfectly clean but it often doesn’t empty and that’s a bit risky in a first floor flat with wooden floors. The local yokels on FB almost unanimously recommend Ben, so I’ll check him out.

I suppose you have checked the dishwasher filter and waste pipe? Also on the Seimans slimline one the "9" mins to the end of the prog can look like a zero. IME.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:11 pm

miss mouse wrote:
Stokey Sue wrote:Good morning
Sunshine here!

Need to to get a dishwasher engineer, I’m not even sure there’s very much wrong with it, stuff comes out perfectly clean but it often doesn’t empty and that’s a bit risky in a first floor flat with wooden floors. The local yokels on FB almost unanimously recommend Ben, so I’ll check him out.

I suppose you have checked the dishwasher filter and waste pipe? Also on the Seimans slimline one the "9" mins to the end of the prog can look like a zero. IME.

I am slightly obsessive about dishwasher fettling - I clean the filter weekly and run a cleaning cycle every 6 weeks
I have carefully unkinked the inlet and outlet hoses (which weren't obviously kinked) and flicked its tap on and off a few times, it seems to be OK and sits in the fully open position

It gets so far through its cycle then sounds an alarm, and when I look it's full of water, and showing error code E1 = Long inlet time. If I switch it off and on again and I'm quick I can get it to pump out the water itself before it tries to refill, so there's no outlet blockage, and the pump sounds good to me. I have really good water pressure, especially since they replaces the water main last year

Although it's not an old dishwasher it is attached to fairly old plumbing, my guess is that the inlet is furred up but it could be anything really.. We shall see when someone comes to look at it next Tuesday

Postby aero280 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:32 pm

Does your inlet hose have a built-in mesh filter? If it does, it will be in the end that screws to the control tap. Might be worth turning off the tap and unscrewing the hose and checking.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:47 pm

[quote="aero280"]Does your inlet hose have a built-in mesh filter? If it does, it will be in the end that screws to the control tap. Might be worth turning off the tap and unscrewing the hose and checking.[/quote

It could be something that simple, but I don't think I can undo it with my fingers or any tools I have, and I'm loath to risk damaging it further

Postby aero280 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:29 pm

The filter is a fairly easy thing to check. It would be an insert sitting, either in the end of the hose at the wall or in the union where the hose connects to the machine. Just a disc, usually. But getting the hose unscrewed is key. Most modern hoses are only screwed hand tight.

Filter.png
Filter.png (186.07 KiB) Viewed 202 times

I'm sure it's quite straightforward as these things go, but as I said, I don't think it would be a good idea for me to try, these things feel a lot more complicated if you can't see what you are doing

Postby herbidacious » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:46 pm

That's awful EM. If he was obviously homeless and it was not just malicious, I suppose the thieves must have ben pretty desperate. Or is that making assumptions I shouldn't...

Just rang my mother and she seemed very confused. She has also gone from hour long conversations to 5 minute ones of late, which worries me. I hope she makes it to May...

I had an ok day. We went to get my contact lenses at lunch time and popped into M&S and bought naughty treat (mezze type) things and a couple of bunches of daffies. (Diet still not started... :? ) We went to get my lenses the weekend before last but something awful had clearly happened right in front of the 'shop'. I still don't know what. There was a police tent... Also had nice online chat with my office room people, which we've not done for ages. One of them is volunteering for 6 weeks to help with vaccinations.

I am not sure now what to make for dinner. The Husband has his 'philosophy' course right now, until about 7.00 and I have a BL talk to attend at 7.30 - Brian Cox on the Golden Record. Should be interesting.
I have another BL thing on Friday that's to do with food...

Postby herbidacious » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:06 pm

I forgot to say, anathema although it might seem to some, I can recommend M&S chilli and cheese hot cross buns (toasted with butter.)

It's gone really windy here. 40kph gusts. I hope my mimosa blossom survives.

Postby Suffs » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:11 pm

Oh dear ... sad tales :(

Herbi ... do you think your mother needs her Care Assessment updating? If might be that she needs more hours if her confusion is increasing. :newhuggy

We’ve given each other a haircut today ... we’re both quite pleased with the results 8-)

Supper was simple ... good pork sausages with jacket potatoes and broccoli.

Now we’re dozing on the sofa ... nearly bedtime ... night night all ... :yawn

Postby mistakened » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:01 am

Good Morning Campers, our weather is returning to normal, I may be able to remove a layer :o

Moira :mug:

Postby northleedsbhoy » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:54 am

Morning all. Tesco delivery arrived yesterday and put away so I have sufficient to last me for the next two weeks, well apart from bread and milk etc that I’ll need in between.

Was pondering yesterday, which is a pretty dangerous thing for me to do :lol: . Bumble has said that by mid June that he hopes all Covid-19 rules will come to an end - but what does that mean exactly? Obvious things include no limit to meeting friends and family etc but what about others like working from home? Are employers going to demand that people return to the workplace for example? I’m glad I’ve retired because I would’ve found it extremely difficult to work at home as I get distracted so easily, watching two flies climbing a wall for example :lol:.

Anyhoo, the next few days are sorted because the cricket is a day/night game so it’s on from 8.30. Happy watching those who do.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:23 am

Happy watching those who do

Fingers crossed it is... :D

Postby icelesley » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:25 am

Good Morning Campers. It's raining. :roll: Thankfully we managed to barrow the three tonnes of topsoil and compost yesterday, it was windy but dry. Today we can sit and nurse our aches and pains from the strain. My shoulder and wrists are worst, I was on shovelling, OH barrowed around to the back garden and filled the raised bed. So we are ready to put the shrubs in once it stops raining maybe tomorrow after I have been shopping. :D Today I shall slowly fill the washer and have a nap with Frankie an my knee, :shock:

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:35 am

That'll be me watching the cricket too. I got up early because of it, walked the dog - there was a lovely sunrise - and have been to an almost empty Waitrose for soft drink supplies to keep me going all day. Also bought some RTC "Outdoor Reared Chipolatas". The mind boggles. :lol:

One of the girls in the park, younger than me, lost her best friend to Covid last week. BAME community, underlying health issues. Horrible to get this far along the road as well. It's still out there folks. I'm not taking any chances. NLB, I'm hoping they'll be a klaxon sounding the All Clear at some point.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox