Register

Cake mixes?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Cake mixes?

Postby slimpersoninside » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:06 pm

Suelle wrote:If you can't bake from scratch, wouldn't it be easier to just buy cake?

It would but can't see us hurrying back to in person shopping (neither of us thought much of it before the latest turnout) and this seems to me to be the best way to ensure as and when cake making.

As it's only going to be every now and then I can't see it being much of an issue.

Postby jeral » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:43 pm

Doesn't hurt to have a packet in the cupboard. Some smaller ones can be microwaved successfully too (assuming not a big 9" three tier sort).

A good thing is that the same brand and style will always turn out the same if cooked the same way and consistency is a big plus for any baking.

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:56 pm

Thought I'd give a quick update.

I bought 2 cake mixes, Devils Food and Zesty Lemon.

I made the lemon up as a lemon drizzle loaf cake, alas no fresh lemons so bottled juice for the drizzle :( . It's quite nice, flovour is good but the consistency is different from a home made sponge, I can only describe it as softer and fluffy, I prefer the slightly more robust home made crumb.

If needed I will certainly be happy to use it again, so I think that qualifies it as a success :thumbsup .

P1004757 1.jpg
P1004757 1.jpg (229.19 KiB) Viewed 817 times

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox