Register

Book Club

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: Book Club

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:18 pm

You won't be reading the Duchess of York's forthcoming masterpiece then?

Postby scullion » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:29 pm

i think that would be a given - without the mills and boon label!

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:34 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby scullion » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:55 pm

the carousel - rosamunde pilcher - a skinny book that's like an extended version of the stories that used to be in my great aunt's 'woman' magazine, in the early seventies.
not deep.
the sort of book that would be useful on a hiking holiday if you had too little space in your rucksack for a loo roll...

Postby Grasshopper » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:55 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:
Has anyone read The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman? It’s terrific.

I found it quite an entertaining story, but Mum wasn't so keen on it.

Can't wait 'till the next one.
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby scullion » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:01 am

'the librarian of auschwitz' - a compelling but uncomfortable read.
i need a bit of 'easy' now - going back to mapp and lucia.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:00 pm

Just read Circe by Madeline Miller.
Thoroughly enjoyed it, great to get the "back stories" from so many of the myths that you've known all your life. It also felt as if I were reading about my old friends, as all the gods and goddesses etc are so familiar.
I'm thinking for getting her book about Achilles now, and it made me want to re-read Pat Barker's The Silence of the Girls.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:53 pm

Not a book but I’ve been working my way through the back catalogue of Natalie Haynes Stands Up for the Classics on BBC Sounds, entertaining and informative 30 minute shows about personalities from the classical era, such as Homer, Plato, Pliny, Suetonius etc and I’ve ben thinking I might read something related, so Circe might fit the bill

Edited to remove a lot of typos

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:02 pm

Do you read on Kindle, Sue? I found it fine for Circe. There are some books that it's really not good for, particularly ones with maps etc.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:12 pm

I do read on Kindle, well the Kindle app on my iPad, hardcopy is too tiring in quantity, I can manage a recipe or a letter, but not a book of prose

Currently reading Lucy Inglis (rhymes with Pringles) Georgian London, as it was on offer at 99p, I may miss out on illustrations a bit though I think those are better on iPad than on my old Kindle Fire

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:30 pm

I was recommended this and am really enjoying it. Not my usual thing at all.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/ ... s-liaisons

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:48 pm

I saw that review and wondered. Thanks for recommending. I've got so many books to catch up with I mustn't get any more!

Postby Busybee » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:49 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:Just read Circe by Madeline Miller.
Thoroughly enjoyed it, great to get the "back stories" from so many of the myths that you've known all your life. It also felt as if I were reading about my old friends, as all the gods and goddesses etc are so familiar.
I'm thinking for getting her book about Achilles now, and it made me want to re-read Pat Barker's The Silence of the Girls.

I’ve always been interested in Greek mythology, and on your recommendation I read this book, thoroughly enjoyed it. So much so that I am just about to start on The Song of Achilles.

Thank you.

BB

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:09 pm

BB - delighted to hear that. We had our book group on Zoom last night and everyone absolutely loved it. Rare for there to be seven raves about a book!

Apparently, according to one of us who has read both, The Song of Achilles is better! I'll be interested if you find that too!

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:40 pm

I liked Pat Barker’s The Silence of the Girls. I will also check out the Madeline Miller books, thanks.

I have been reading Midnight Chicken and other recipes worth living for. I think it was recommended in one of the Sunday supplements a month or so ago. It’s like Nigellas latest...good to dip in and out of.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Midnight-Chick ... 71&sr=8-14

I’m also reading JK Rowlings The Ickabog with my eldest.

Postby scullion » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:59 pm

i read the ickabog, online, last year.
jk rowling posted it a chapter per day as a lockdown 'present' for kids prior to it being bought out in book form.
good story.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:37 am

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:07 pm

scullion wrote:i read the ickabog, online, last year.
jk rowling posted it a chapter per day as a lockdown 'present' for kids prior to it being bought out in book form.
good story.

I love that she posted it online last year for free. I also like that it’s illustrated by children...we are enjoying the illustrations almost as much as the story.

Herbi, I’ve got Adults on my to read list. I read her book Animals a while back. I’ll order it from the library when they reopen.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:36 pm

I've just finished Behind Her Eyes which has been turned into a series on Netflix. There was a load of hoo-ha when it came out about the plot twist at the end - I admit I didn't see it coming! Its a bit silly and farfetched but I do want to watch the Netflix version now to see if I notice any of the clues they have apparently dropped in.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:50 pm

Since last posted, I have read Jasper Fford's The Constant Rabbit (and possibly something else?) and am now reading The Absolute Book by Elizabeth Knox. It has been compared to Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell and Northern Lights, but 140 pages in, I am not convinced. Mind you I could never get into Jonathan Strange. All those foot notes were off putting. I should probably try again. I think the book is in France, though.

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff