Register

What's everyone cooking this week? 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week? 2

Postby ZeroCook » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:34 am

karadekoolaid wrote:5 cans of coconut milk, EM???
Time to make a piña colada - with Venezuelan rum, of course :lol:

Yes please!
I bought an 6 pack of coconut milk last year just in case the world ended ... :lol:

Cioppino was had with the salmon, along with some braised fennel and covolo nero.

Last night it was whole grilled spatchocked chicken very generously rubbed with evoo, garlic, herbes de Provence and rosemary. A house fave.

Tomorrow something with leftover chicken...

Postby herbidacious » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:45 am

I am pretty sure I have at least two cans of coconut milk. I really should go through things. I hate doing it because the cupboard is very deep (and generally very big) and inevitably there will be things pushed to the back well past their dates, especially with periodic 'over buying' by normal standards in the last year because of Covid-related things (not panic buying so much as not being able to shop more than once every 4-6 weeks and not really having experience of how to do that efficiently.) I hate wasting food.
I think I have quite a lot of tins of tomatoes... which is a good thing.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:35 pm

Cupboards, just like fridges, need to be regularly sorted.
My wife pulled a tetra-pak of cream from the cupboard a couple of weeks back and complained that it wouldn´t beat up into soft peaks. Use-by date: September, 2017 :shock: :shock:

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:29 pm

I came across an ancient can of coconut milk, bought quite some time before we moved in 2012. The longer I left it because I couldn't decide whether to use it or not, but couldn't bring myself to throw it out, the older it got ...

In the end I used it and it was absolutely fine. The tin hadn't blown, I would definitely have chucked it if it had.

Postby jeral » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:42 pm

Extra tinned toms bought here too as a craving had arrived typically just when there weren't any around.

So tonight is: Hob: shallot, cumin, garlic, red pepper, toms, mustard powder, capers and balsamic simmered down. Oven: Roasted squash/rosemary and sage & onion stuffing balls, then tom sauce spooned over cod loin in gratin dish to bake when squash is nearly done.

The leftover sauce goes well with Mexican-spiced roast spuds with an egg and spinach, so minimal effort needed for tomorrow's grub.

Postby Pampy » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:10 pm

Because I often get snowed in, I have an old office cupboard in the garage where I store extra tinned/bottled supplies. Usually things like coconut milk, red kidney beans, chickpeas, cannellini beans, coffee, tuna, salmon, squash, longlife milk etc plus detergent, dishwasher tabs, shampoo, shower gel, bleach etc.
I also have an additional freezer in the garage. I reckon I could survive for 6 months without having to shop!

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:04 pm

And now I know where to come Pampy............. ;)

Postby Amyw » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:38 pm

Very simple tonight . As there was a glimmer of spring , big side salad , some homemade “oven” cheesy chips and pork chop which I’d marinated with garlic and a little bit of cider

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:59 pm

Looks very tasty Amy!

I made green goddess dip/sauce yesterday which the girls had with chicken breasts, homemade chips and veg, and we had with cod and salmon fish cakes, homemade chips and veg.

Tonight we made Nigellas fish finger bhorta for the first time. Not bad. Reminded me of something we’d make back in the day when we’re starving and back from the pub :D We’ll probably make it again. Ours was a lot wetter than hers because I had a bit of the previous evenings herby sauce to use up. Plus we were having it with rice and I didn’t want it to end up too dry. The fish fingers kept their crunch though.

C0F3489C-B70D-4E98-BAC6-BA3A65740FC0.jpeg
C0F3489C-B70D-4E98-BAC6-BA3A65740FC0.jpeg (84.21 KiB) Viewed 3205 times

Postby Pampy » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:06 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:And now I know where to come Pampy............. ;)

You're more than welcome! :D :D

Postby Renee » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:46 am

Lovely meals Amy and OMCO!

I made Malaysian pork curry with Mak Tok Malaysian curry paste. Photo not good. :thumbsdown

Mak Tok Pork (1).JPG
Mak Tok Pork (1).JPG (152.46 KiB) Viewed 3187 times

Postby halfateabag » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:05 am

All those plates have me salivating and it is only 7am !!!

Snap! OMCO I made that dressing as well and we have been enjoying it on a shared green salad for lunch this week.

We finished the 2 pork chops (cooked previously) and they were succulent tender and tasty. I marinated them with oregano, MSG, garlic, and pepper.

Tonights supper is ckx. drummers, slashed and marinated with tandoori yogurt mix, garlic and lemon juice with basmati rice.

A fish finger tiger roll and salad for tomorrow.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:05 am

I've just had my St John At Home order delivered. It's a good job that the OH doesn't have a big appetite because quite frankly there is only just enough food for 2 for one meal. The Cote at Home package did us for three days!!!

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:35 pm

That curry looks the business Renee!

halfateabag wrote:Snap! OMCO I made that dressing as well and we have been enjoying it on a shared green salad for lunch this week.

It's so versatile isn't it! Such a brilliant way to use up yoghurt or cream and any soft herbs.

I made a 'breakfast loaf' earlier from a Karen Mordechai book. It contains espresso and cocoa powder and I added some chopped pecans. We had it warm with a dollop of crème fraiche mid morning.

We have been having our boiler replaced and moved to a different location today. It's freezing and there is a lot of mess. I just cant be bothered to cook so i've asked DH to collect a McDonalds when he picks up youngest from nursery. The kids will be delighted.

Lamb and falafel mezze feast will feature tomorrow evening instead :D

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:21 pm

Tonight was chilli from the freezer and a baked potato.
It bit the spot!

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:27 pm

I want that WW. OH will not touch chilli so I don’t bother making it. I need to rethink my priorities.

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:30 pm

Make a batch and freeze it, then you only need to cook one meal for your husband when you fancy chilli.

Will he eat a baked potato with cheese or coleslaw?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:14 pm

I had a chilli day on Thursday - planted seeds and made a veggie chilli

Annoyingly I have 2 portions of good chilli con carne I made in autumn frozen, but can't eat them as they contain beef. coriander & cumin, all off the menu

So I made a veggie one using cooked rose coco beans, onions, garlic, carrot, red peppers, a half can of chipotles in adobo, and lots of oregano and some allspice, meant to add bay leaves but forgot. Very nice, some portions for the freezer. Will make some cornbread to have with it tonight

Postby Renee » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:12 pm

OMCO, I took the photo with a new camera and thought that the setting A meant Automatic. It means Aperture. :roll: Automatic is Ai so I've changed the setting. Everything is getting more and more complicated!

I made Ratatouille today using cut up aubergine, courgette, shallots, garlic, can of tomatoes, the usual herbs and seasonings. It was good served in a bowl with grated and melted cheese on top.

Postby Amyw » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:26 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I had a chilli day on Thursday - planted seeds and made a veggie chilli

Annoyingly I have 2 portions of good chilli con carne I made in autumn frozen, but can't eat them as they contain beef. coriander & cumin, all off the menu

So I made a veggie one using cooked rose coco beans, onions, garlic, carrot, red peppers, a half can of chipotles in adobo, and lots of oregano and some allspice, meant to add bay leaves but forgot. Very nice, some portions for the freezer. Will make some cornbread to have with it tonight

I think chilli is one of those dishes , which is as good vegetarian as it is a version containing meat

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox