Register

Fishy February

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Fishy February

Postby Pampy » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:22 pm

It was halibut, not hake. And Gigha too, which is normally very expensive. But I agree, it was far more than I'd normally expect to pay. They said the upper fillet was 600-800g - so at the lower weight, that would make it around £72.50/kg - that's eye watering! I bought some from Booths just before Christmas which was, IIRC, around £40/kg - and Booths isn't known to be particularly cheap.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:29 pm

A propos not much has anyone else noticed Mark Hix's column in The Telegraph? He made his name on the Great British Menu, specifically as a fish man, and ended up with three or four restauarants in London and his first one in Lyme Regis. I think he got a bit greedy and he went bust a couple of years ago but Covid has really done for him and he now sells fish out of the back of a van on the Dorset coast. Met him once. Nice bloke.

Postby halfateabag » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:13 pm

Sorry Pampy, was probably still a bit sleepy... :oops:

Postby Renee » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:23 pm

I've discovered a fish van in nearby Bamber Bridge and there is also a proper traditional butcher just across from there, also the Morrisons supermarket. It might be handy for you to go there Pampy. I bought 2 fillets of Finney haddock, one of hake, three of good sized sea bass and it came to £45. They were all skinned and boned for me. I portioned up the fillets.

http://www.darrensfreshfish.com/menu.html#
Last edited by Renee on Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:11 pm

To be fair to Mark Hix I thought his financial difficulties were more due to muddle than greed? one of those people who needs to be tethered to an accountant to run any kind of business

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:23 pm

Yes probably Sue. But his London restaurant prices were eye-watering. Maybe he didn't have the right people looking out for him.

Postby Busybee » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:07 pm

I read his columns in the telegraph, I believe that in addition to the fish van he has also bought a pub, in his childhood village. Obviously, closed at the moment.

I think it comes across that he certainly isn’t a fan of the business side of things, and it makes me wonder why he has bought a pub, almost as if he is going to repeat the cycle.

BB

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:51 pm

This is the pub
https://thefoxinncorscombe.co.uk/

One of those horrible websites that’s all sliding pop ups and makes you go to the Contact page to get the location (it’s on Pound Hill in Dorchester, and last time I saw it we commented it needed some tlc)

Postby Pampy » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:03 pm

Renee wrote:I've discovered a fish van in nearby Bamber Bridge and there is also a proper traditional butcher just across from there, also the Morrisons supermarket. It might be handy for you to go there Pampy. I bought 2 fillets of Finney haddock, one of hake, three of good sized sea bass and it came to £45. They were all skinned and boned for me. I portioned up the fillets.

http://www.darrensfreshfish.com/menu.html#

Thanks Renee - looks just up my street - and I could go to Mercer's at the same time! Can't wait to escape from shielding and shop a bit further afield!

Postby Renee » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:07 am

I bought four chicken supremes from Mercer's this morning. They freeze down well being freerange and are a good size. I paid £8.25.

Postby dennispc » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:43 am

Hake, cod and haddock are about £17/18 a kilo at our fish van, but they don’t deliver. Now I think it’s safe for me to join the queue as it’s outside, everyone social distances and wears masks.

Postby Pampy » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:12 pm

Renee wrote:I bought four chicken supremes from Mercer's this morning. They freeze down well being freerange and are a good size. I paid £8.25.

That's an excellent price!

Postby Renee » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:15 pm

Also, there's an AGE UK on the site which is brilliant to take clothes and books to, although closed at the moment of course.

Postby halfateabag » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:05 pm

Swordfish steaks for late lunch today, I put garlic, oregano and S&P on them in a cast iron pan on the wood burner, they went well with mixed veg and pasta for me and a baked tato for him. The S. was moist and tender and quite Greek.

We then watched This fishing life in Cornwall, it's a good programme.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:37 am

Swordfish is a difficult fish to nail perfectly, as it´s flesh is very dense. Overcook? you´ve got cardboard.
It does work very well on a grill, however, because the heat can seal the steak and keep in the juices.

Postby jeral » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:26 pm

Help please on what makes a good fish pie? (I have cod, salmon, small prawns, flaky & shortcrust and spud.)

What do you add, e.g. carrot, leek broccoli or spring onion? What spices or herbs, assuming a white sauce?

Pastry or mash or flavoured mash?

Believe it or not I've never made one, except for a cod and mango/herby crumble-topped one which I've lost the recipe for but which was very good but not standard at all.

Ta for all thoughts :)

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:40 pm

I've never made one, either, jeral ... not sure why as I always enjoy them when friends make them for us!

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:31 pm

I'd use three fish, a white, a lesser amount of a smoked fish (but not always) and salmon and/or prawns.

Yes, a white sauce, I like just lots of parsley and lemon juice. I wouldn't usually add veg except maybe a handful of peas or a small amount of sauteed onion. Some people add cream or cheese to the sauce and some like to add halves of hard boiled egg.

Topped with creamy mash. Could be cheesy mash.

The fish and white sauce would go equally well under a puff pastry crust.

This Mary Berry one is fairly traditional. I wouldn't go for such a high proportion of smoked fish.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mary ... _pie_79943

Postby Busybee » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:50 pm

I’ve used the Mary Berry recipe before, keeping the total weight of fish the same but using cod, haddock, salmon and prawns.

It’s not something I make often, I’m not a huge fish fan, but I do like this version.

BB

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:06 am

Those fish pie mixes are OK but Mrs B prefers less smoked fish so I might bulk out a pack with prawns and white fish. I have often used coley but it seems less freely available now for some reason. Pollock is easier to find. Both are improved by salting for a few days.

ETA white sauce, maybe a splash of cream. Onion or leek. Mash on top. If adding veg I'd stick to a few peas or sweetcorn, but otherwise serve those separately. Other popular side veg would be baby carrots and broccoli.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox