Register

lamb dishes

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: lamb dishes

Postby Seatallan » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:56 pm

I do a lamb meatball tagine quite often. In fact, all told I really like lamb. It's one of my favourite meats.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby jeral » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:57 pm

I remembered Nigel Slater's roasted cauliflower with white onion sauce to serve with a decent sized piece of lamb or Barnsley chops. It takes a while so is more useful for a lazy Sunday lunch I reckon maybe with mashed swede (or spud/swede) added:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/m ... er-recipes

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:57 pm

That looks fab Jeral. I can’t always get onions past the OH but might have a go with that.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:50 pm

I know it's a bit of a cheat curry, but I love this, so can just make a portion to eat and one to freeze

https://greatcurryrecipes.net/2017/04/28/lamb-achari/

Also a fan of lamb tagines

And my cousin in Washingon made this when I went to see her

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food ... beans-5922

But my favouritist of all is roast leg of Welsh lamb

Postby ZeroCook » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:52 pm

Some lovely recipes here.

I love lamb in slow cooked dishes - curries, tagines, stews. I could eat those til the cows come home. My preference is for lean lamb and I'm not a fan of fatty, gamy mutton.

Other than that, my absolute favourite is long and slow roasted lean leg of lamb with garlic and rosemary.

Here for old times sake is a Heston link with a link to three very worthwhile long cooked lamb recipes
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... k.shopping

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:54 pm

Mutton is a funny thing and I’m not surprised it went out of favour. The big Tesco on the North Circular at Neasden has a huge Halal section and mutton features heavily. I’ve tried it but I honestly can’t get it tender enough.
Last edited by Pepper Pig on Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby jeral » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:55 pm

Gruney2 wrote:I'm mad on kapuska, at the moment - it involves lamb mince. I've been rhapsodising over it to my daughter, who doesn't eat meat, and she really wants me to make it for her, using Quorn mince. I'm up for it, but fear it may be a little bland - any ideas, please?

I too had to look up kapuska. The vegan/veggie versions seem the same except no meat, i.e. heavy on hot red pepper paste and flakes, plus tom paste, black pepper. I'm not sure what it's selling point could be without any flavour from meat.

One recipe suggested serving it with yoghurt and pickles, the latter not defined. Maybe gherkin/cornichon type, although that might be much of a muchness; piccalilli? Beetroot? Mixed English sort?

My thought for umami would be a spot of veggie Worcestershire sauce, or a tablespoon of veggie oyster sauce. Or, blitz 3 or 4 sauteed shitake mushrooms into jarred red peppers for the paste to be used. A flavoured bread (like focaccia or dark rye), or garlic/cheese baguette crouton slices, or Cheddar/D.Gloucs cheese scones with caraway seeds, would add interest. But hey, you're promoting it for what it is, so ignore all the above :lol:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:57 pm

jeral wrote:I remembered Nigel Slater's roasted cauliflower with white onion sauce to serve with a decent sized piece of lamb or Barnsley chops. It takes a while so is more useful for a lazy Sunday lunch I reckon maybe with mashed swede (or spud/swede) added:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/m ... er-recipes

Oooh, that looks very yummy ... that's my Sunday lunch sorted :yum :yum :yum

Postby ZeroCook » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:13 pm

I also love Raan, Indian spiced encrusted roast leg of lamb.
Can't find a Madhur Jaffrey recipe link but lots of others around.

Here's a classic bbc Madhur Jaffrey episode
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XqwNROT0zBY

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:19 pm

I like good mutton - the sadly short lived La Troussade restaurant in Islington sourced lovely Herdwick mutton from the Peak District, and it was wonderful, if I buy it though it's for a variant on curry goat so cooked slowly for a long time - my problem is that the stew/meat is usually sold diced with the bone in place, and I don't like the little shards

If you are experimenting with roasting, the currently fashionable slow roasting until it falls to pieces produces a completely different effect from roasting more rapidly to leave the meat slightly pink, I prefer the pink style, both require garlic, rosemary, and preferably a few anchovy fillets rather than salt
Roast lamb in France is often served with flageolet beans (canned rinsed and drained are fine) heated in some of the oniony and garlicky natural juice and finished with butter and parsley (the butter sounds unecessary, even wrong, but isn't)

Pot roasting a rolled and stuffed shoulder or even breast is different again, and I have often pot roasted the blade half of a shoulder with leeks and small potatoes (a la bonne femme) - breast can be stuffed with haggis

To me the ultimate stew is a navarin
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... amb-recipe

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:52 pm

Sloe-Gin wrote:But my favouritist of all is roast leg of Welsh lamb

Spot On Sloe-Gin.......!!! Just can't be beaten - especially salt marsh lamb.......the best! :thumbsup :thumbsup

Mutton makes the best curries - long 'n slow - then left for a day or two to develop - wonderful!

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:08 pm

Some great sounding ideas on this thread.

Some of our favourites are lamb biryani (using neck fillet), Lancashire hotpot with pickled red cabbage, Tessa Kiros’ lamb tava with cumin and feta and Ainsley Harriot’s lamb shank rogan josh.

I can rarely resist rack of lamb on a menu. Cooked well it is one of my favourites.

Postby Renee » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:35 pm

PP, thanks so much for the Lancashire Hot Pot recipe! I did make it a few times many years ago, but lost the recipe. It's the best one ever! :clap :clap

Postby northleedsbhoy » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:12 am

Just seen this Ottolenghi recipe for pulled lamb with orange and spices. It looks lovely but it’d be too much of a faff for me to make it - it’s the second recipe down.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/f ... outh_email

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:18 am

That looks nice NLB. I wouldn't mind giving it a try but I'd leave out the cumin because I don't like it and would be happy with the other flavours.

Do you think it really means two tablespoons of ground cumin? :? I can't remember ever using that much of any one spice in one dish.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:21 am

Renee wrote:PP, thanks so much for the Lancashire Hot Pot recipe! I did make it a few times many years ago, but lost the recipe. It's the best one ever! :clap :clap

Thanks Renee. It really is. Michael Smith was a genius.

Postby halfateabag » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:56 am

One of our fave meats.... Lamb with yoghurt and dill from an M&S cookery book bought decades ago, it has dill and spring onions and the yog. really sets it off. Totally delicious in my opinion.

I always buy RTC minced lamb when I see it and it goes in the DF for shepherd pie.

When in Greece and see a whole lamb on a spit (normally Sunday lunch) we go for that as it can't be beaten with a salad and chips. We suspect that sometimes it is kid/goat which is slightly gamier but still :yum

Postby Seatallan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:21 am

Lusciouslush wrote:
Sloe-Gin wrote:But my favouritist of all is roast leg of Welsh lamb

Spot On Sloe-Gin.......!!! Just can't be beaten - especially salt marsh lamb.......the best! :thumbsup :thumbsup

Mutton makes the best curries - long 'n slow - then left for a day or two to develop - wonderful!

Indeed- as I mentioned earlier in the thread. We get salt marsh lamb from the Solway and it's to die for... :yum

Love mutton too. In fact, some years back we had roast mutton for Sunday lunch at a pub now local to us and we still salivate about it! :D
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:17 pm

Anyone else remember The Dish? Or am I just old? :evil:

http://www.lindseybareham.com/the-dish- ... whitehorn/

Postby MagicMarmite » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:13 pm

Mamtas lamb biryani is amazing.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox