Register

Pork chops

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Pork chops

Postby Wokman » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:16 pm

I like to marinate any kind of pork with harissa paste mixed with a little oil. Leave in the fridge for about an hour before cooking.
It's not too spicy and it's something different.

Postby Lokelani » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:04 pm

They look delicious.

Ideas for future - I enjoyed making the Jamie Oliver ones years ago from a recipe book. The roasted beetroot & roasted carrot were lovely with the orange & balsamic. Reminds me I haven't made them for ages.

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/por ... ork-chops/

Also a Rick Stein inspired one where you cut slits in the pork chops & fill with sage & butter. Simple but delicious.

Otherwise if I have time, I cut the rind & fat off, cut it into small pieces & fry until crispy. Then sear the chops, finish in the oven. Deglaze pan with a tiny bit of honey, marsala, or cider, bit of dijon or wholegrain mustard. Or for a more indulgent version, a tiny bit of cream, mustard & grated cheese, cheddar, gruyere or parmesan. Just as well we don't have pork chops very often!! :lol:

Postby northleedsbhoy » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:38 am

I like thick cut loin chops cooked on the stove top in a lidded sauté pan in a mixture of sherry and water. I start by frying onions until we’ll done, then browning the chops before adding the liquid. I add carrots or swede or anything plus mushrooms towards the end. Cooking time for me is about an hour depending on how thick they are. The sherry liquid gives it a nice sweetish flavour that can be thickened with granules or just simply cornflour.

One of the things I miss about Sainsbury’s closing the Deli and meat counter is I can’t get the chops cut to order. The nearest butcher is too far to travel in the current climate.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby halfateabag » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:03 am

We had thinnish P.C. for supper last night, there were 4 in the pack and I had previously sprinkled them with oregano, garlic and S&P and left them in the fridge with a weight on them. Very Greek and the house smelt divine when they were cooking. I was back in Greece overlooking a very blue Aegean........ Can't wait to go to Rhodes again.....

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:13 am

These days I find pork chops a bit disappointing. They never have kidney attached and they are often tough because of lack of fat.

Postby scullion » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:30 am

Hahaha - the only thing I remember about pork chops was the huge amount of unpleasant fat round a tiny bit of muscle and bone.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:21 pm

Scullion, did nobody ever feed you any meat fit for human consumption? :lol:

A good pork chop has more delicate lean meat than I can eat in a single meal and enough fat to protect it during cooking, and if it’s a really good one a strip of cracking too

Postby scullion » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:02 pm

as meat is comparatively much cheaper, now, than it would have been when i was little that may have a bearing on the quality we (and many) were fed (it is also killed much leaner nowadays).
my mother went down in family history for her lack of cooking skills - but maybe i'm confabulating pork and beef chops. it's been over half a century since i had to eat them so it may be a memory i've tried to erase. i remember one with a thick layer of mouthcoatingly gruesome fat and the other with lots of bone with a proportionaly small bit of muscle.
i wonder if the current problem for pig farmers will result in a flush of extra fatty pig meat on the market.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox