Register

What are you baking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What are you baking this week?

Postby Amyw » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:54 pm

Oooh that looks good ,clotted cream is a perfect accompaniment to a chocolate dessert

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:44 pm

Made this today. I'm very pleased with my new cake plate which is the perfect size for a 1lb loaf tin. It was £5.00 from M & S.
Attachments
Boiled fruit cake.jpeg
Boiled fruit cake.jpeg (105.12 KiB) Viewed 3151 times

Postby Rainbow » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:19 am

Looks good, KC2, and I like the plate.
When/if I make a fruit cake it's always a boiled fruitcake recipe :)

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:23 am

Thanks, Rainbow. It was Ratatouille/Joan's recipe, minus the sugar - it didn't have that much in to begin with and each time I made it I added a bit less, and now it's just the fruit, which I usually boil in tea.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:07 am

That looks divine,OMCO!!

Postby aero280 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:36 pm

Made some meringues this evening. First time ever that I've made them. A trial run for a pavlova on Sunday maybe. Theses merigues came out OK. A bit dark because I used golden fairtrade sugar. There was a trial pavlova base which I tried in a tin, but it came out in bits. So maybe an Eton Mess will be best today or tomorrow.

IMG_3606.JPG
IMG_3606.JPG (74.39 KiB) Viewed 3078 times

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:32 am

On the subject of pavlovas...
My wife made a pavlova for New Year´s Eve. Don´t know why, but she did. Anything with meringue, cream and strawberries simply has to taste good.
Now we´re getting 2 pavlovas a week, because she´s unhappy with the meringue :gonzo She says it´s too chewy. Any thoughts, all you wonderful bakers? How long should the meringue be cooked, and at what temperature?

(meanwhile, I´ll happily chomp my way through the chewy ones :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo )

Postby Binky » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:44 am

aero, those meringues look lovely. I'm not fond of the bright white ones myself as they look like they came from a factory.

karadekoolaid, about 40 years ago an Australian cousin told us that our meringues were too brittle, and if you wanted a more chewy one to add vinegar. I think it's in all recipes these days, but I haven't made a meringue for so long that I can't be sure.

Postby aero280 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:38 pm

The vinegar addition is interesting. The attempt at a Pavlova in a shaped baking tin broke up when I took it out of the tin. It was only after I had filled the tin that I realised that I had skipped the paragraph stating that a teaspoon of vinegar and a teaspoon of cornflour should be added. I added a bit of each to the meringue left in the bowl and used it to make the meringues in the picture. There were eight. We ate the other two and, although not necessarily more chewy in the middle, the outside “skin” is far less crumbly than the remains if the pavlova.

The “pavlova bits” made a nice Eton Mess for supper! :)

Postby jeral » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:39 pm

I saw this last night and immediately thought "use a different recipe" as I didn't reckon time or temp was the issue.

Anna Olson is very good at basic baking recipes. She uses just egg whites, cream of tartar and sugar for crisp shells:
https://www.annaolson.ca/recipe/details ... irds-nests

For what it's worth, I've never seen or heard of making meringue in a tin, even a springform, only ever directly onto greaseproof. Draw round a plate for the size you want, turn the paper over so the line shows through and pipe/spread within the line. Use a blob of meringue to glue the corners of the paper to a baking tray to secure it whilst spreading the meringue.

Chewy ones for me please. A friend of ours was proud of his chewy ones, to which he added maybe nutmeg, or ginger powder, or even chilli powder. Often a few of each and twice as many as he knew we loved them :D

Postby Busybee » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:03 pm

It’s my mums birthday next week and I’m going to bake her favourite cake, coffee and walnut.

Any t&t recipies?

I made a chocolate cake recently using my magimix and I’m tempted to try using it again, but don’t know if it was a fluke. Does anyone else use theirs for baking?

BB

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:36 pm

"Pavlova has a crisp and crunchy outer shell, and a soft, moist marshmallow-like centre, in contrast to meringue which is usually solid throughout. It has been suggested the addition of cornflour is responsible for the marshmallow centre, although it has been debated that the cornflour is just another egg white stabiliser in addition to the acid.[24]"

KDKA - sounds like too long or hot a bake?

Pavlova is soft and marshmallowy on the inside, crisp on the outside.
This sort of thing:
https://www.thehomecookskitchen.com/bes ... va-recipe/

Having said that, my mothers' always came out chewy !

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:16 pm

BB - Nigella's recipe uses a food processor
https://www.nigella.com/recipes/coffee- ... layer-cake

Haven't made it but many swear by her. 8-)

Most recipes are pretty similar - basically equal measures of butter, sugar, flour. I made one for a friend's birthday a few years ago. Can't recall whose recipe I used.

Suelle might be around - am sure she'll have a very t&t'd

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:49 pm

BB - I have just mentioned on another thread the coffee and walnut cake I made last year. I was invited to be one of several people to make a cake for a funeral tea so I wanted it to be perfect. I used to make coffee abd walnut a lot but decided to go for Delia's recipe to be on the safe side.
It was very good and I was pleased with the result. I think I even used mascarpone for the icing as she does too. I made a triple layer cake so tweaked the amounts pro rata.
https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/int ... ponge-cake

Delia also has a recipe for an Austrian coffee and walnut cake which looks rather nice but the sponge is soaked in coffee which might not be quite what you want.
https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/typ ... ffee-cream

Postby Busybee » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:00 pm

Thank you all, just what I needed. Incidentally, I had asked Dad if he had any Camp coffee, to make this cake, it’s what I remember mum using. Alas none, but I can just use instant coffee.

BB

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:19 pm

I wondered about Delia's, EM. Marscapone sounds good for a change from buttercream. Toasted walnuts sound good in the Austrian variant.

Postby aero280 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:16 pm

A mixed up day today. I made a couple of victoria sponges and stuck them together with some whipped cream which was studded with the meringue pieces from the failed pavlova yesterday. Then I had a think and stuck some strawberries around the edge. I managed to make a "pavlova" in the same heart shape., which was going to be a layer, but it's thick and will make the cake look too high. So that will be a straight pavlova for supper.

So, a work in progress. I'm thinking that a chocolate ganache topping would work with the rest of the strawberries on it...

IMG_3608.JPG
IMG_3608.JPG (158.29 KiB) Viewed 2960 times

Postby aero280 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:03 pm

The reason why I tried a meringue base in a tin was to get it the3 same shape as the cake and use it as a layer, but it's making the cake too high and would make it difficult to cut.

So I piled some cream and chopped strawberries on top and we had some for supper. :D :yum :yum :yum

IMG_3609.JPG
IMG_3609.JPG (125.83 KiB) Viewed 2956 times

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:22 pm

They both look wonderful aero! Drizzled melted chocolate would work if you are keen on adding chocolate.

Postby aero280 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:18 am

The cake is finished. I'm happy with the way it looks. A nice heart shaped cake. :) Let's hope it tastes OK!!

i may give it a dusting of icing sugar tomorrow once the ganache has set...

IMG_3611.JPG
IMG_3611.JPG (80.51 KiB) Viewed 2945 times

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox