Register

pancakes

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: pancakes

Postby slimpersoninside » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:41 pm

We probably will........but won't let on to our daughter ;) .

Postby northleedsbhoy » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:00 pm

scullion wrote:you can always have two pancake days.
like having an un-birthday in summer, we are going to have another, un-christmas day with family when we can so i don't see why pancake day shouldn't have an 'official' day, too.

Yep, I agree with that. Hopefully I’m going to have a Boxing Day party on 26 June at the friends house that I normally go to for Christmas. Something to look forward to :crossed I hope.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:00 am

I finally got around to reading the actual recipes
Not going near the coffee ground ones - I don’t even like those choc covered coffee beans - but the banana ones might be ok, it’s the texture not the flavour of raw peel that’s nasty, once cooked into a light pancake it would be fine I think

I will probably just buy a pancake from The Coolios after Tai Chi. I might go mad and have a sweet one

Postby northleedsbhoy » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:12 am

I’ve asked a friend for this for breakfast next time I can go down and visit them :yum :yum

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/flu ... ggs-royale

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby scullion » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:07 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Not going near the coffee ground ones [...] but the banana ones might be ok, it’s the texture not the flavour of raw peel that’s nasty, once cooked into a light pancake it would be fine I think

i would be the other way round - i would have already drunk the coffee - but i would be disinclined to eat banana skins unless i was really sure i knew what had been sprayed on them.

Postby Amber » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:45 pm

I like lemon, sugar, lemon and sugar, vinegar and sugar (try it - it’s lovely), syrup, but I’ve never actually tried maple syrup. Definitely one for next week :) .

Postby jeral » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:06 am

These Vietnamese Banh Xeo Crepes would be right up my street I think, if I can get any rice flour. (Cooked with spring onion, prawns, and with bean sprouts and dipping sauce.)

Courtesy OcadoLife magazine trailer email:
https://blog.ocado.com/food/vietnamese-crepe-recipe/

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:11 am

Intrigued that the very non-Asian ingredient maple syrup crops up again - but I found a recipe from Andrea Nguyen, doyenne of Vietnamese-American food and she uses it as an alternative to sugar, so maybe it adds a note that feels right - perhaps that flavour is reminiscent of Vietnamese palm sugar?
Here’s her recipe
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/vietn ... ice-crepes

I’ve been unable to find palm sugar in lock down, may have to wait until I can get to one of the bigger Asian stores

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:37 am

I made pancakes for breakfast today. 1 cup of flour, 1 cup milk, pinch of salt, 1 tsp bicarb, vanilla essence, 2 eggs, a splash of veg oil ( because I couldn´t be bothered to melt the butter)
I had mine with home-made strawberry jam and a dollop of cream.
None left.

Postby Seatallan » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:34 pm

Gosh, I've never thought about adding vanilla essence to pancakes. Mine are just flour, milk, egg and melted butter.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:45 pm

Adding butter or oil is new to me :oops:.

Postby scullion » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:31 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I found a recipe from Andrea Nguyen, doyenne of Vietnamese-American food and she uses it as an alternative to sugar, so maybe it adds a note that feels right - perhaps that flavour is reminiscent of Vietnamese palm sugar?

i always bung in a small bit of maple syrup in the thai-esque curry i make (the -esque is to cover the changes i make when i can't get stuff like galangal and palm sugar etc). i used to have some palm sugar but when it ran out maple syrup was the closest in flavour i could find - a sort of caramel flavour different from other brown sugars.

Postby Binky » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:04 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Intrigued that the very non-Asian ingredient maple syrup crops up again - but I found a recipe from Andrea Nguyen, doyenne of Vietnamese-American food and she uses it as an alternative to sugar, so maybe it adds a note that feels right - perhaps that flavour is reminiscent of Vietnamese palm sugar?
Here’s her recipe
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/vietn ... ice-crepes

I’ve been unable to find palm sugar in lock down, may have to wait until I can get to one of the bigger Asian stores

Also, if it's for the American-Vietnamese market, maple syrup would be a well-known ingredient or addition to pancakes. Ever had a pancake stack at an American restaurant or hotel breakfast room? Three pancakes, crispy bacon on top with a pouring of maple syrup.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:17 pm

I do normally have palm sugar in the house, but the last lot was very syrupy and when the tub disintegrated I didn#t manage to save any

I can see a resemblance to maple syrup, but in the amounts I use light brown cane sugar is fine, and I take the point that most US cooks would have maple syrup around

I love a pancake stack with real maple syrup and not "pancake syrup" but I prefer the bacon separate

Seatallan wrote:Gosh, I've never thought about adding vanilla essence to pancakes. Mine are just flour, milk, egg and melted butter.

If you are going to reheat them or roll them they tend to stay a bit more malleable with a little butter or oil, I don't find the flavour of the butter really comes through

Postby jeral » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:46 pm

Thanks Stokey Sue for the alternative recipe which has some very glowing comments. It has more precise instructions too, which is helpful. It seems odd to put a lid on thin pancakes, although both recipes include that step so it must work.

Maple syrup is no doubt much cheaper (so normal rather than special) in the US than here. I won't be buying a bottle of the pure stuff just for it to disappear under the chilli etc tastes. It might not be added for flavour, only for ease as it doesn't need melting. (Edit: I have some strong flavoured honey which should work in the dip.)

I always add a teaspoon of oil to any batter incl. Yorks puds that'll hit hot oil. I thought it was to help it not stick, but if added to e.g. tom soup it does emulsify it. Grapeseed is best to stop things sticking.

karadekoolaid, the saving grace of pancakes is not having any sugar in them so can throw self restraint to the wind :oops:

Pancakes

Postby halfateabag » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:48 am

Some ideas from the Gruniad for todays delights https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/f ... -duck-dosa.

I made some roti so they are nearly pancakes, not sure what to put in them, might make a mushroom omelette and roll it all up together.

Lemon and sugar has to be one of the simplest and tastiest.

Postby scullion » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:01 am

We are having dosa tonight - I actually remembered to make up some batter last night.
Would it be too piggy to make ordinary ones for pudding?

Postby Lokelani » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:16 pm

I think the Zero Waste ones are more likely to cause waste here, when we throw them away if they're horrible!

We both find pancakes a real comfort memory thing probably from our Mum's cooking them & still like them exactly how we remember. For me with fresh lemon juice & sugar & for Mr L, strawberry jam.

I also like savoury pancakes, but rarely make them as Mr L considers them a waste of good pancakes!

Postby scullion » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:33 pm

to be fair, the coffee grounds in that recipe are a tiny amount, by weight, of the ingredients and are unlikely to make a significant difference in texture and maybe just a slight one in flavour.
i haven't read the original instagram post to see if there's any feedback from there.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:45 pm

I was idly wondering this morning how the tradition of lemon on pancakes for the masses started. Lemons aren't really commonplace on British trees, let alone in Feb/March after all. I wondered if it was a modern thing invented by 'jiffy', although crepes suzette have nod to orange.

I found this. No idea if it's true .. https://www.google.com/amp/s/danibiscui ... cakes/amp/
...it sounds plausible though.

My parents, born in the 20s, seemed to expect to put lemon and sugar on pancakes so I imagine they both enjoyed them in childhood - before the advent of the plastic lemon! At times like this one really wants to ask grandparents for their memories!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox