Register

Foods that keep you warm

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Foods that keep you warm

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:36 pm

I always loved the traditional milk puddings, especially tapioca, popping the little bubbles in my mouth and semolina at my grandmother's for supper with bottled blackberries. I think I like rice pudding least. I don't like them too creamy or any of the tinned ones.

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:29 pm

At the risk of my cred going subterranean, there's a lovely recipe for a cold dessert soup. Tapioca cooked in sweetened coconut milk, chilled and mixed with liquidised melon. :D

Postby jeral » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:03 pm

For me, it's not the frogspawn I dislike - I like that, lumpy porridge etc, it's the milky taste. Might be why the coconut milk version rises above methinks.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:12 pm

That sounds very interesting BM. Is the recipe just as described or is there more to it?

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:40 pm

That is pretty much all there is to it. Soak the tapioca in water, then cook with coconut milk and sugar. Allow to cool and chill. Liquidise a ripe honeydew melon. Stir the two liquids together.

The recipe is in Ken Hom's Vegetable & Pasta. That book predates the interweb, not sure if online but there must be similar recipes to be found, I would have thought.

Not very warming though! :D

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:47 pm

Er, no! It sounds very refreshing though.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:34 pm

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:54 am

My highly personal opinion of rice pudding is that it´s just plain boring. You can add exotic spices to it, or call it "arroz con leche", put mango in it or make it thai-style - it´s still boring. It´s certainly not something I´d eat to keep me warm.
Still, the most important thing is that lots of people love it, so thank goodness we´re not all alike! :D :D

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:52 am

Sichuan pepper. I make a toasted Sichuan chili oil recipe that has whole Sichuan peppercorns in it, which induces a warm glow a couple of minutes after eating!

Quite agree about rice pudding! :lol:

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:39 am

ZC. I love rice pudding but OH hates it so it’s not something I’ve made much but you’ve reminded me of the most disgusting thing my mother, who is a very good cook, used to make when I was small. Macaroni pudding anyone?

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:10 am

That used to be one of the Ambrosia tinned options I think and wasn't bad. I had a lodger who'd make quick macaroni pudding in the microwave and it looked horrible. Thankfully, my mother made very good savoury dishes with macaroni. I have never managed to make macaroni cheese quite as good as hers.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:19 pm

We had macaroni pudding once or twice at school. Yuk.

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:27 pm

I loved macaroni pudding!!!

Not had it in over 40 years. Might have to remedy that.....if I can sneak it past hubby.

Postby Lokelani » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:25 pm

I never liked macaroni pudding, too stodgy. Love a really creamy rice pudding though.

Until I found a recipe for polenta that used milk with a stock cube, instead of water, a bit of butter, lots of parmesan & also lemon zest & chives, we both hated the stuff. Love it now, I have to actually stop myself making it too often as it's so yummy.

Wrapping hands around a hot cup of coffee definitely works for me. :lol:

Food in general warms me up, I often get bright red cheeks when eating. Some foods seem to do that more than others, I've never found which.

When doing the 5:2 fasting thing I get really cold on the fasting days. That was when I realised just how much food warms us up.

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:46 am

Pepper Pig wrote:ZC. I love rice pudding but OH hates it so it’s not something I’ve made much but you’ve reminded me of the most disgusting thing my mother, who is a very good cook, used to make when I was small. Macaroni pudding anyone?

Why not! Never had it but possibly could be a bit like lokshen kugel :? https://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/sweet-lokshen-kugel/
On second thoughts perhaps non ...
This could be nicer https://www.jamesbeard.org/recipes/lokshen-kugel

Postby Grasshopper » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:45 pm

scullion wrote:bleugh, frogspawn!

That's what we used to call it at school, and yes, I liked it.

We had beef stew & dumplings on Sunday - THAT warms you up! :yum
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby Grasshopper » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:47 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Bubble tea anyone?

Sounds horrible :vomit
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:25 pm

DS sent me a video of Domino pizza toppings unique to certain countries the other day. Unique to Taiwan and Japan for a limited time was the Bubble Pizza with a topping of boba pearls (sweet tapioca balls), cheese, honey and a sachet of maple syrup to add to your liking.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:52 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:DS sent me a video of Domino pizza toppings unique to certain countries the other day. Unique to Taiwan and Japan for a limited time was the Bubble Pizza with a topping of boba pearls (sweet tapioca balls), cheese, honey and a sachet of maple syrup to add to your liking.

That sounds vile, EM!

I'm trying to remember what the equally disgusting sweet Zizzi pizza topping was being advertised outside when I used to walk past it on my way to work. I think it may have had bananas in it but I have erased it from my memory! On the other hand, I confess, I used to like fried bananas with fried chicken in my early '20s ... and grilled goat's cheese is nice with a drop of honey and oregano or similar ... I think it must be the association of slimy tapioca balls with "pizza" that is so repulsive :D

Postby Pampy » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:11 pm

A local pizzeria near me sells a pizza topped with chips! And they're actually Italian.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox