Register

Waffles

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Waffles

Postby Binky » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:45 pm

I've looked at the pancake thread but fancy waffles for some reason. To that end, I've bought an electric waffle maker from Lakeland which should arrive fairly soon.

In the meantime I've been looking at recipes. Jamie Oliver mixes all the ingredients together, but Nigella (and others I have discovered) favour whisking the egg whites before folding in to the mixture.

Has anyone tried both methods, and if so, is there a clear favourite?

Re: Waffles

Postby ZeroCook » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:26 pm

Binky there's a big thread on waffles started before xmas about buying a waffle maker and making waffles - loads of info etc on there.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4830&hilit=waffles

American recipes generally add beaten egg whites to lighten the mix while getting the height in a waffle pan. I looked up Kaiserschmarrn recipes after Aero mentioned them on the pancake thread and saw that they use beaten egg whites - probably where that comes from.

Prefer beaten egg whites for waffles. Lighter crispier result.

Postby Binky » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:30 pm

Thanks ZC. I hadn't realised that the topic had been aired already and so recently.

I hardly dare read it though in case there are bad reviews of my Lakeland waffle maker!

Postby scullion » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:51 pm

i've skimmed through for you and can't see that anyone's mentioned the lakeland one - so you're safe!

Postby Amber » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:07 am

It’s a long time ago, but I think I used to add a pinch(?) of sugar to the waffle mix.
(foreign Rowenta waffle maker recipe, probably bought about thirty years ago :shock: :) )

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:07 am

Did you get this one, Binky: https://www.lakeland.co.uk/62585/Lakela ... ffle-Maker

I like the wattage = 1200. I got the Duronic, and am very pleased with the maker: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08 ... UTF8&psc=1

When you get it, can you let me know what the vent is for in the lid. Anyone know?
It doesn't mention anything in the instructions of mine, and I leave it closed.

I love them. They take longer than you think, I cook mine for about 10-12 mins, and can now perfectly judge the batter so it doesn't spill over, and to make 8, some for the freezer, which I then toast from frozen.
I've only made the savoury whisk egg white ones as I like them so much.

Belgian Endive is going to get me a potato recipe.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:26 am

Gosh, mine don't take anything like that long (and are quite thick). I am a fan of adding beaten egg white and of adding potato (for savoury ones) to make them lighter.

Postby jeral » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:04 pm

It could make a difference if the waffle maker is shallow or deep (called "Belgian waffle" ones) as the worst thing complained about in reviews I've read is expansion spillage that's impossible to get at to clean away on some models. So, irrespective of taste, puffy egg white might not be your friend depending on which model you've bought.

Postby Binky » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:08 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Did you get this one, Binky: https://www.lakeland.co.uk/62585/Lakela ... ffle-Maker

I like the wattage = 1200. I got the Duronic, and am very pleased with the maker: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08 ... UTF8&psc=1

When you get it, can you let me know what the vent is for in the lid. Anyone know?
It doesn't mention anything in the instructions of mine, and I leave it closed.

That's the one Gill. And when it comes, I'll find out what the vent is for and when to use it.

The introduction of potato into the waffle mix sounds good. Years ago I had a recipe for bread made with a cup of mashed potato. I was sceptical but tried it and it was delicious.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:45 pm

Thanks Binky.
I did wonder if you could grate potatoes and cook them rosti style?

Postby slimpersoninside » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:27 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Thanks Binky.

I could be mistaken but I think Kavey did this and posted about it on her blog.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:32 pm

slimpersoninside wrote:
Gillthepainter wrote:Thanks Binky.

I could be mistaken but I think Kavey did this and posted about it on her blog.

She certainly did
https://www.kaveyeats.com/parmesan-papr ... to-waffles

I reckon the key thing to note is the pre-cooking in the microwave

Postby Binky » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:21 pm

Gill, the waffle maker has arrived.

I've opened it up and it isn't a vent on the lid - it's the red/green light to tell you when it's switched on (red) and then ready for waffling (green).

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:40 pm

I've managed to find out what the vent does.
It is to let the steam out, obviously, during cooking, so definitely should be open when in use. It is supposed to make them crispier that way - although that isn't an issue with the ones I've made so far.

Happy waffling, Binky.
Poached eggs, waffles - what's not to like.

By the way, I mixed my batter one time - got a phone call from Fraser my brother, an hour later cooked the waffles and they were still perfect.

EM
Maybe my waffles will cook quicker with the vent open, like yours do?

Postby Binky » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:37 pm

I can't get into the kitchen at present as OH is re-plumbing the kitchen sink waste pipe so that he can fit one of those sliding metal shelf thingies. So you can fit more stuff in the cupboard.

There are tools spread out over the floor, screws on the table, a lamp in the kitchen cupboard, and all the cleaning materials from the under-sink cupboard on the worktops. It will be nice when he's done.

I was planning a test drive of the waffle maker, but it will have to wait. He's already said he wants waffles, blueberries and maple syrup tomorrow. I can sit at the table and manage the waffle mix, he'll do the rest.

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:02 pm

Binky, I don't know if you are thinking about putting blueberries in or with the waffles but here is a cautionary tale. My waffles usually don't stick to the plates except the twice I have put blueberries in the batter (I tried a second time as I thought maybe I hadn't oiled the plates well enough). Despite the resulting mess tasting really nice (once I'd managed to scrape it off the plates) I have decided bluberries will be cooked into a compote or something and served alongside ;) .

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:34 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Maybe my waffles will cook quicker with the vent open, like yours do?

Maybe! My waffle maker hasn't got a vent but steam gushes out of the sides during cooking.

As waffle batter isn't dissimilar to Yorkshire pudding or pancake batters it probably improves with being left to stand.

I don't think I would add fruit etc to the mix to be cooked in the waffle maker. I do add grated cheese for savoury ones though and it works very well. Don't ask me how much, just a couple of handfuls. Most experienced cooks would have an inkling of what might be too much I think!

Postby Binky » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:38 pm

No, the blueberries will dropped artistically on top of the cooked waffles. I have put blueberries into a pancake mixture in the past and it made things stick a bit, so not keen on doing that with my waffler.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:41 pm

Binky wrote:Gill, the waffle maker has arrived.

Thought you had named your waffle maker Gill, Binky ;) :lol:

Pioneer Woman made waffles this morning... the theme was trying things for the first time. It wasn't making waffles, but having them with fried chicken and a very sweet looking sauce :o

forgot to add her waffle maker looked much the same as the Lakeland one, so you're both in good company ;)

Postby Binky » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:08 pm

Waffles for breakfast. The fruit I had planned to scatter on top was used to make smoothies instead.

I didn't whisk the egg white separately. The whole lot of ingredients was wizzed up with a Bamix and formed a lovely gloop

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox