Register

Foods that keep you warm

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Foods that keep you warm

Postby jeral » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:49 pm

I came across this article when wondering why I suddenly felt hot after eating two or three squares of dark chocolate:
https://tribune.com.pk/story/986485/6-f ... -in-winter

I haven't got far with the science of chemical release of brown fatty acids etc as gobbledygook to me, so suffice to say you probably know which foods work that way on you.

Ginger is one I knew about and porridge because of that advert "Ready Brek - Central heating for kids".

Sprouts, er, what? There was a TV prog recently where a farmer said that sprouts had now had the bitterness bred out of them so were far removed from erstwhile school dinner ones.

Any that you notice?

Re: Foods that keep you warm

Postby Amyw » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:19 pm

I find more liquid based foods such as soups or stews seem to do a good job of warming you up , not sure if there’s a science be hind it or not .

Piping hot creamy hot chocolate preferably drunk down the beach hits the spot .

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:17 pm

Interesting.
I´ll definitely give the iced coffee a miss - I think it´s vile. Same goes for iced tea. :vomit
Chocolate - I´ll buy that, the same with oats.
Sprouts???
I´d have put some lentils in there somewhere, especially if well-spiced.
And a prawn vindaloo, of course :gonzo

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:05 pm

This got me reading up about hypothermia and the recommended things to give sufferers. It seems that warm drinks, soups etc always warm people up from the inside and adding chocolate and other high energy foods help hit the spot quickly (so nibbling chocolate at home probably does the same thing!).

I've noticed feeling hot when eating a couple of times lately. I'm not usually the sort of woman who goes round with a fan so was a bit curious. I think it has been carb foods so that would make sense. I see ginger is on several lists but not chilli. If I want to warm up I am fond of coffee made with hot milk and sugar ( I usually drink it black with no sugar).

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:19 pm

Amyw wrote:I find more liquid based foods such as soups or stews seem to do a good job of warming you up , not sure if there’s a science be hind it or not .

Piping hot creamy hot chocolate preferably drunk down the beach hits the spot .

I think liquids do it for me too, possibly because I simply consume a bigger volume of hotter stuff than I would if I had drier foods such as a sandwich or a burger or even a roast dinner. I'd think nothing of wolfing down300 g of hot soup, but I don't usually eat a 300g burger, and it's not very hot after the first few mouthfuls

When the weather is like this (currently about -2 outside) I always wish I could drink hot tea but it's vile

The article is a bit grating - "plant-based protein," (yup, that's plant protein or vegetable protein in places where English is spoken), "veggies" (meaning apparently vegetables in this case, not vegetarians)

Postby halfateabag » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:31 am

Porridge for brekkie is very warming. So, for a change (and I bought a bag of it for 34p) he has been having semolina for brekkie over this cold snap. He seems to be enjoying it.

I vary the flavourings, lemon zest, orange zest, mixed spice and raisins. I cook it on the wood burner, very slowly.

Am I right in thinking that semolina is also polenta????

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:02 am

The article seemed to confuse 'avoiding the cold' with 'avoiding colds' at one point as well as the iced coffee/ice tea mix up. Poorly written nutribollocks; as a consequence, if there is any truth in there I'd not rush to try it. I know they've got to fill their pages and make a living but it doesn't tempt me to read any more articles on the same site or by the same author. A bit like the Aussie Guardian ones, I find those off-putting.

In this house it's porridge in the morning, soup for lunch and pretty much any hot meal in the evening.

Zosh, I believe that semolina is coarsely ground wheat and polenta is ground maize, certainly if you buy them in the UK, but there might be places where the terms are interchangeable.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:32 pm

I agree - semolina is wheat, specifically the hard white part from the middle of the grain, polenta is maize meal

Postby scullion » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:09 pm

i was a bit annoyed by the article. it was confusing as to whether they meant the sort of foods that made you feel, psychologically, warm and cosy or the sort that had a metabolic effect - like 'meat sweats' etc.
i never use the term 'veggies', apart from the confusion of meaning i can't help saying it with an australian accent in my mind.
cornmeal porridge is good too, made with (diluted) condensed milk with some added nutmeg, jamaican style.

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:43 pm

cornmeal porridge is good too, made with (diluted) condensed milk with some added nutmeg, jamaican style.

I'm now singing No Woman, No Cry... :D

Postby scullion » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:54 pm

never a bad thing !

Postby Amyw » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:31 pm

halfateabag wrote:Porridge for brekkie is very warming. So, for a change (and I bought a bag of it for 34p) he has been having semolina for brekkie over this cold snap. He seems to be enjoying it.

I vary the flavourings, lemon zest, orange zest, mixed spice and raisins. I cook it on the wood burner, very slowly.

Am I right in thinking that semolina is also polenta????

Oooh I love semolina . I remember when it was served at school dinners , pretty much everyone hated it apart from me so I had extra ! I never thought of having it for breakfast and indeed never have made it

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:27 pm

The original version of The Pauper's Cookbook gives a recipe for gnocchi made from semolina. I use it to make Handvo, a spiced savoury loaf with vegetables.

I've always like milk puddings. Rice pud used to be a favourite, it puzzles me why it fell out of fashion. I still like tapioca too.

Postby scullion » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:38 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:I still like tapioca too.

your cred is slipping. if you say you like sago pudding, too, it'll crash to the floor!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:46 pm

I like sago - but not tapioca, which I think I may only have had once!

Postby scullion » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:16 pm

bleugh, frogspawn!

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:54 pm

Bubble tea anyone?

Postby scullion » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:26 pm

frogspawn and tea - sounds like the combination of nightmares.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:51 pm

I insist - i´ll stick to prawn vindaloo.
You can keep the semolina and tapioca for a rainy day :lol:

Postby MagicMarmite » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:57 pm

The only porridge I like is congee, but then I'm not a fan of sweet foods generally and I'm just not strong enough to make wet polenta.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox