Register

Bratwurst?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Bratwurst?

Postby slimpersoninside » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:59 pm

Hubby likes Bratwurst and as Morrisons no longer stock them we are going to have a go at making some. I've got a recipe from the internet which looks fine but a couple of questions have arisen.

In the recipe it says to poach them and then finish on the grill or by frying, but makes no mention of how long they should be poached - does anyone have any idea of the timing please?

Some other recipes don't have the poaching stage, just cooking as we would the good old banger. Any idea if the traditional way must involve poaching?

I'm pretty sure the Morrisons ones were poached but this might have been for packaging and preservation.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Bratwurst?

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:11 pm

I think there are different regional styles, just as there are for British bangers, Lidl sell several different styles, all I think named for different regions but I go straight for Nürnberger (Nuremberg) which are small, raw, and just need frying

So there might well be differences in how they are prepared

Postby ZeroCook » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:17 pm

Boil then brown. I use that method to cook them (and most types of sausages) through then finish off by sizzling/searing in a hot frying pan with a tiny bit of oil to stop sticking. Fifteen to twenty minutes on a low simmer partly covered, in just enough water to cover. Works straight from the freezer, too.
Last edited by ZeroCook on Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby jeral » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:32 pm

I looked up "how to poach bratwursts" and one (of many hits) specifically says they should be poached first, presumably to avoid the dreaded raw middle bbq curse. Method seems typically: in a decent amount of water or beer, brought to the boil then simmered for 5-10 mins, one said until firm to the touch. I can't think how simmering them for longer or even for ages would harm them if enclosed.

However, if making yourself, what about casings? You could poach them by swivelling in suitable cling film like ballotine and chill, which would help to compact the sausage enough to fry or grill subsequently.

Lidl is good if you're anywhere near one. PS, thinking back, the instructions on the Lidl ones were to boil them to cook them if that helps re "need to" question.

Postby ZeroCook » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:35 pm

It's not traditional, just quick and cooks sausages through evenly. I do it so that sausages don't sit cooking in their own grease and it takes out the guesswork of knowing when they're done.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:37 pm

Thinking about it jeral, instructions for pre-cooking BBQ bangers usually tell you to poach “until stiffened”

Postby jeral » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:51 pm

I imagine "stiffened" sausages is a function of the fat melting and enclosed air expanding? Would that apply to wurst which seems more densely mealy than fatty (as our bangers are)? Just curious as ever.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:07 pm

I´d just poach them for a few minutes until they swell up a bit, then finish them on the grill.
I can feel some hotdogs coming on... :D :D

Postby slimpersoninside » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:27 pm

Thanks very much all.

I shall cook both ways and see which are prefered.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox