Register

Pork chops

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Pork chops

Postby Amyw » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:03 am

Hi everyone ,

I bought some beautiful pork chops from the butchers and am going to cook them at work tomorrow . My go to is normally spreading with a mustard grated apple and cheddar mix then cooking , but I fancied doing something a bit different . I work with adults with learning disabilities but have a good range of herbs and spices . I’m thinking cooked over potatoes Boulanger so the juices drip onto the potatoes but open to ideas

Re: Pork chops

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:29 am

There´s a town near Caracas called Colonia Tovar. The population arrived from Bavaria in 1867 and set up a German town. It´s a popular tourist spot.
I once spent a week there, and on the Saturday, Helga ( the hotel´s owner) invited us to lunch. Home- reared porky pigs, she said, pork chops marinated in the peaches they grew in the orchards, with a touch of garlic ( we all love garlic) and Liebfraumilch.
I don´t eat meat.
But I ate those pork chops and they were divine.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:07 am

That sounds wonderful, KKA.

I don't fry usually, but the pork is fried on medium in butter with apple chunks. Keep turning everything until brown.
Lift out the apples (I discard), deglaze with calvados or brandy.
Cream.

And serve with broccoli. Best not to clutter this dish with onions and mustard and more. Simply does it, pork apple brandy.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:26 am

I usually bake them. In the past with a lid of apple sprinkled with thyme, nowadays with a thick slice of onion on top instead, usually with baked apple and potatoes roasted in the rendered lard. :yum

Served with some sort of greens and a glass of cider of course. :wino

Postby Suffs » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:46 am

I usually start them off on the hob on a ridged griddle to get colour on both sides, then pop them in the already hot oven to finish off ... it only takes around 10-15 mins. Sometimes they go into the oven still on the griddle, and sometimes they go on top of the potatoes or veg that are already cooking in there, slices of fennel braising in a little white whine or Pernod and a knob of butter. Sometimes on top of wedges of apples and cabbage (red or white) braising in a spiced mix of veg stock and cider vinegar ... or sometimes after the initial griddle time I smear them with a mixture of honey and wholegrain mustard and pop them on top of the potatoes Boulangere or dauphinoise to finish.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:18 am

The Blessed Delia's pork chops with apple & sage is nice, too.

Postby Seatallan » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:04 pm

I have a lovely recipe for pork chops marinaded in orange & ginger. It's best done with Seville orange juice to get the bitter-sweet effect. I can post it if you like. I'm making it next weekend as it happens. :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Amyw » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:52 pm

Yes please

Postby Seatallan » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:13 pm

Pork Chops with Orange & Ginger (serves 4)

4 pork chops
15g butter
50g soft brown sugar
3 tablespoons wine vinegar
half teaspoon ground ginger
1 Seville orange
2 level teaspoons cornflour
Salt & pepper

Melt butter in a frying pan. Brown chops over medium heat until browned on both sides. Pour away any excess fat. Blend the sugar, vinegar, ginger, juice and zest from the orange and a seasoning of salt & pepper together in a basin. Pour over the chops in the pan. Cover with a lid and leave to simmer gently for 30 minutes. Lift chops onto a hot serving dish. Drain off the pan juice into a measuring jug and make up to a quarter of a pint with water. Return to pan. Blend the cornflour with a little cold water until smooth and add to the pan juice. Stir over a medium heat until simmering and thickened then pour over the chops and serve. :yum
Last edited by Seatallan on Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby liketocook » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:19 pm

Nigel Slater's Pork Chops in Mustard sauce from the Kitchen Diaries is very good https://foodlifework.wordpress.com/2012 ... ard-sauce/
I usually serve it with boiled baby spuds, savoy cabbage and steamed carrots which work well with the rich sauce.

Postby Seatallan » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:22 pm

Another one I do fairly often is Jamie Oliver's 'Old School' pork chops with apple & sage.

https://www.edamam.com/recipe/old-schoo ... 330d38cd/-

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:28 pm

Baked fennel goes well with pork chops - parboil halved fennel bulbs, top with butter, parmesan & thyme & bake until tender & golden brown.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:46 pm

Smothered pork chops - chops lightly browned on each side on the hob, put into an oven dish, and covered (smothered) with what is essentially a pizzaiola sauce - onion, garlic, bell peppers, tomatoes, herbs and/chilli to taste, Bake until done, really nice with jacket suds to soak up the tomato-y juices,

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:18 pm

For the record, here´s Gordon´s pork chop with creamy mustard sauce.
https://www.youtube.com/watch/OsS21DdkpFw

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:15 pm

I heart GR
:D

Postby Amyw » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:29 pm

Thank you all , I ended up cooking them on a bed of finely sliced onions and apples with sage and stock poured over , then added some gravy granules to the juices to make the gravy . Went down well

Postby jeral » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:58 pm

Very nice too. I was wondering if your diners would miss your usual apple and sage mix if you did something totally different.

Perhaps spices would go well on something different another time e.g. as a rub on a shoulder piece for slow cooked pulled pork? I've made that (not recently as no meat eaters) in a Dutch oven on the hob, with the meat sitting on a trivet of veg, and it was always well received. Also, the residual gravy reduces into very flavourful jelly, and usually enough to keep some for sausage/mash etc. Yorks Puds a must ;)

Postby Suffs » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:18 pm

Looks very tasty ... great Yorkies too :yum

Postby Amyw » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:40 pm

Thank you , apparently it’s national Yorkshire pudding day today and one of the ladies loves them .

To be fair they’ll both eat pretty much anything , as long as it’s not too spicy .

Postby Pampy » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:52 am

They are VERY lucky to have you cooking for them!

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox