Register

Summer picnic quiche

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Summer picnic quiche

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:24 pm

Re: Summer picnic quiche

Postby Amyw » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:13 pm

I swear telepathy occurs on this board as just today I bought a quiche tin and ingredients to make one , possibly tomorrow. I’m cheating and using shop bought pastry though . I normally use whole eggs with cream and dash of milk but I might try the three yolks , 1 egg tomorrow . I agree cheese is a must . I think mines going to be asparagus , cheese and tomato tomorrow . Beauty of a quiche is you can add many different things , though I tend to think only three or four main ingredients at a time , similar to pizza , it just gets a little “busy”.

It’s a great thing to use up the odds and sods where you’ve got a hard little nun of cheese left or just couple of mushrooms

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:00 am

I agree AmyW, a quiche will take all kinds of leftovers and isn't bad if you've only got milk (although of course, cream makes it special). I've made so many over the years, including when I was involved with a wholefood cafe. The filling that people always fall over themselves for though is cheese and onion - lots of sauteed onions topped with a nice strong cheese. Very cheap and easy!

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:12 am

When I’ve been able to get smoked salmon trimmings they make a very good quiche and of course people think it’s a bit of luxury

Bacon scraps, aka cooking bacon also work well both types of trimming can be a bit salty but the custard and pastry sorts thatout

Postby Amyw » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:12 pm

This my quiche I made using the three yolk, 1 egg method . Gave a beautiful custard and the asparagus , cheese and tomato was a good match. Just a bit annoyed the crust cracked a bit that’s all

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:39 pm

If I can get the fridge fixed today I´m going to make an artichoke and bacon quiche. Artichokes were really cheap at the market this week, so I bought far too many :lol:
I don´t think I´d want to waste three egg whites to make a quiche. It´s that I won´t use them; the one who uses egg whites to make meringues, etc., is stuck in a tiny village in South East Switzerland, thanks to the Covid19!

Postby jeral » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:05 am

Just retrieving this quiche thread to add this 7min video from Delia about quiches and tarts:
https://www.deliaonline.com/cookery-sch ... -and-tarts

In the first section, you can see how Delia prevents pastry shrinking down too much and certainly no soggy bottoms in sight.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:04 pm

OK, I know it´s not summer, but a good quiche is delicious at any time.
Yesterday I made a Swiss chard, bacon and cheese quiche. The chard was sweated with onion and bacon, sprinkled with a few sundried tomatoes and topped with grilled courgettes, just to make it look pretty.
I only used about 200 gms of chard, and the next time I make it, I´ll use double the amount.

Postby Amyw » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:52 pm

I saw your quiche on IG , KKA looks lovely

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:29 pm

Thanks, Amy!
I wasn´t too happy about it; I wanted more chard flavour, but the wife snaffled it down.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:43 pm

Just had a request from a friend of my wife for some quiches. Poor lady is in a wheelchair, as a result of a terrible, but ridiculous accident: she slipped off a chair and broke her back.
Very, very few restaurants/caterers offer quiche here. The only one I know, a high-end pastry café, used to make them, but when I called they said they´d not made any for ages.
I offered her:
Roasted leek and pepper
Broccoli, smoked ham and ricotta
Fresh artichoke and bacon, with cream cheese.

Postby jeral » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:40 pm

All delicious and perfect with pickle, so maybe a new complementary niche business sideline? ;) I'd like to make a mushroom, thyme & hint of garlic one if I could work out how to get melty mushrooms and avoid excessively chewy slices or bobbly-bits of mushrooms.

Your wife's friend was seriously unlucky; a heartfelt hug to her. I narrowly missed that fate when I fell backwards across a metal bar about five or six years ago and was eternally grateful even through the pain mist that I could still wiggle my toes. Luck really is the flip of a coin.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:05 am

It´s been a while since I´ve cooked mushrooms, because (a) they´ve almost disappeared from the market and (b) the ones which do appear retail at about 10 quid a kilo.
The secret to cooking mushrooms ( so my cheffy friends tell me) is to sauté them in butter (or olive oil, if you prefer) - no salt - until they begin to leach water. Once the water has evaporated, you can add salt, garlic or what ever else you want. That way, they absorb all the wonderful flavour and stay soft.

Postby jeral » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:12 pm

How were your quiches received? I imagine they were very much welcomed :)

Thanks for the mushroom technique info. I'm thinking I could go berserk and skip buttons instead going for shitake and oyster, which I can get although not necessarily at he same time. I rather wish flat field mushrooms hadn't been replaced by Portabellos.

I'm planning a smoked salmon one, scant amount as it's too strong otherwise, with either broccoli or spring onion, or both, or if I go out for mushrooms, I might be able to get chives instead. I'm not averse to sliced toms in quiche, or on top if it's one that suits a fine cheese scattering like parmesan on top too.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:31 pm

The quiches are for Tuesday, so I haven´t made them yet.
As for different mushrooms - they all cook differently and have different textures. I love Crimini and Shiitake because they retain a sort of chewy texture when cooked. Whilst button mushrooms are the most commonly available, I think they´re often a bit bland and lacking in flavour. Oyster mushrooms are great on the grill, just lightly basted with olive oil, a bit of balsamic and garlic. And when I can get my hands on porcini, fresh or dried, I´m in for a delicious risotto.

Postby Amber » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:36 am

My favourite quiche pastry uses equal amounts of flour and jumbo oats. Lovely, no rolling.

And don’t forget the tip from someone on here, to add those dried fried onions to your pastry. I love the idea, but haven’t made pastry since

Postby Rainbow » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:56 am

Amber wrote:My favourite quiche pastry uses equal amounts of flour and jumbo oats. Lovely, no rolling.

And don’t forget the tip from someone on here, to add those dried fried onions to your pastry. I love the idea, but haven’t made pastry since

Can you give us that quiche pastry recipe please? I like the idea of using oats and definitely the idea of no rolling!!

Postby Amber » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:19 pm

Here it is, it was roughly copied from a Scandinavian recipe.

2 ½ dl coarse grain flour. Whole. (I often use ordinary)
salt
125g butter
2 ½ dl porridge oats – jumbo
water to mix

Mix flour and salt. Rub in butter. Mix in oats and add water to form dough. 10-12” deepish well
greased and floured quiche tin. Press dough into tin – high on sides and flat (thin) on base. Refridge
until needed – min 1hr. Sprinkle cheese on base now?

I haven’t made it for a few months but I think it made more than one quiche last time. Because it can be quite thick, it needs a deep and tasty filling.

Postby Rainbow » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:47 pm

Thanks for that, Amber.

But why are flour and oats in dl? I presume its a decilitre = 100ml? so 250ml of flour and oats - or one Australian cup!!
Weights (in grams!) certainly make life easier!!

Postby Amber » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:31 am

Yes, decilitres. I usually prefer scales too, but I enjoy making this recipe in dl, just because it’s different. :D

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox