Register

General Wellbeing

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: General Wellbeing

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:30 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
I have completely missed this thread and never think to look on 'Other Stuff'

Pat, I find that if I go to "board index" and select "view unread posts" I will see exactly that - the posts that I haven't read!
I can then go directly to the first post I haven't read on a particular thread by clicking on the little red arrowhead next to the subject line of the thread ...

It took me a while to get used to this after moving over from Wildies; I have "board index" bookmarked in my bookmarks bar (I use Chrome) so can go straight there.

I haven't managed to access this board satisfactorily on my phone so only use my laptop for it.

Talking of hearing aids, I only found out that my sister has been wearing a hearing aid most of her life last year sometime. She's only 77 :lol:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:24 pm

halfateabag wrote:Thanks peeps. EM the hearing unit (small) sits behind your ear with a very thin tube (much thinner than my Dads) comes from that unit over the top/front (of ear) and goes into your actual ear. I was concerned that it (the whole apparatus) could easily dislodge and I might loose it, so far no problems, so much so that I can't feel the unit when its in use.

I have been lip reading for some time, but not realising that I was doing it, face masks put paid to that !

As long as 'my ears' go on first I don't have problems with the glasses (even with a string to keep them around my neck). Mask goes on last, so far so good, I have not been tangled up.

Very impressed with the NHS service and quality of goods. I had my audio test on 21st Dec and had them fitted within 5 weeks.

OH tried them on and seemed impressed as well.

I have completely missed this thread ....I never think of looking under 'Other Stuff' in fact forget it is here :roll: :roll:

Postby Amber » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:37 am

I remember seeing a special mask adaptor for people who wear hearing aids. It was called something like a Barber attachment?

eta similar to this https://www.fastcompany.com/90488090/th ... with-masks

But there are also some good ideas for home made adaptors available too.

Postby scullion » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:56 am

a button on either end of a strip of thick tape or a couple of layers of fabric works, too. like this - and easy to make.

Postby Pampy » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:07 pm

Amber wrote:I remember seeing a special mask adaptor for people who wear hearing aids. It was called something like a Barber attachment?

eta similar to this https://www.fastcompany.com/90488090/th ... with-masks

But there are also some good ideas for home made adaptors available too.

I bought some of those from Amazon but they're difficult to put on and the loops of the mask still sometimes get caught on the hearing aid.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:26 pm

No hearing aids (yet) but between hair, earrings, specs I end up carefully putting my mask on in front of the mirror before I go out, it's easier in the long run

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:08 pm

A friend just posted this on FB, it's sobering ...
https://vip.politicsmeanspolitics.com/2 ... Q02PGBuNRc

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:19 pm

I've just read this on the NYT - I'm not sure what the subscription basis is for it - OH has one so I have no problems accessing it. But it's allowing me to share it ... sometimes they make wellbeing/health articles free to access ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/19/well ... =url-share

Anyway, I think it is an interesting take on what the pandemic has done to our mentail health. I think many of us are familiar with "languishing" as described.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:00 pm

Oh that's very good KC2.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:38 am

Very good, KC2. Very good indeed!
Today I was languishing. I sat down in front of the telly at 2pm and watched all sorts of rubbish until 8.30. And I´m not a telly person!!
I shall have to go back to when the pandemic began, which was (at least over here) 403 days ago. Yes, I keep tabs on it. At the start, I said to myself: " If I don´t develop a routine, or at least a vague plan of what I´m going to do each day, I´m going to go nuts".
I did. And I didn´t, because the only way out of this ghastly situation is to "do something" every day, even if it´s only picking up the leaves off the lawn.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:51 am

I liked the article although it made me quite sad. I realise that I have spent a good deal of my life Languishing. Lockdown has shown me a whole new way of living. Tasks don't have to be completed on the day they are started, I can say no to people even more than I thought and the place I live isn't as bad as I thought. For the first time in 50 years I don't feel the need to escape at every opportunity. I really, really hope that it doesn't change!

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:58 pm

Finally read it, had to do it on iPad as NYT is illegible on pc for me

Excellent article, I definitely suffer from retaliation bedtime procrastination

I just wish they hadn’t chosen languishing as the name, which I’ve always thought of as rather poetic, and probably imposed on you, like the Lady of Shallot languishing in her tower

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:53 am

Yes, I thought that about the choice of "languishing" too, Sue.
I guess it's just another word that is taking on new meanings as a result of the pandemic!
Not that I've come up with an alternative ....

KKA, to be fair on yourself, you did have to spend an awfully long time Languishing on your own, while your family were trapped elsewhere :newhuggy

Postby ZeroCook » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:55 am

Thanks for posting that KC2. Haven't visited Other Stuff for ages - not very access friendly and foodies in the news was moved to the main mb but noticed today that a link has now been placed on the main mb page.

The term languishing is not quite right, i agree. I decided to look up various definitions and quite often languishing is defined as a precursor to death, which this state of mind or of being really isn't imo. But what the article describes is pretty spot on I think. Last year was very fight or fight, very full on psychologically. I found that everything changed (for me) with vaccination and the US election at least this way. I think the right term - for me, anyway, is more like a state of semi suspension or semi animation as in suspended animation as I can do quite a lot of work related things online from home. But there's still a huge action and interaction and progress gap and intermittent lack of focus. And there's the groundhog day syndrome as numbers dip, places open up, numbers spike and places close down again. I won't get started on ego and money driven corrupt political agendas that helped get the pandemic underway. The tiresomeness of that is too epic.

I find music hugely good as a ballast. And non fiction books. And not watching tv. Perhaps we will emerge like strange butterflies ... or moths :D

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:03 pm

I have been struggling with (small) nosebleeds, scabby nostrils and a sore throat, on and off, for some weeks.
Antihistamine tablets, my usual nasal spray etc etc have made no difference.

This week I washed my masks in non-bio and all symptoms have just about gone.
Phew.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:15 pm

Goodness WW, that's interesting! How fortunate you thought to do that.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:17 pm

ZC, interesting. For me, I think that "semi animation" or "semi suspension" doesn't quite get the depression aspect, which is definitely there, although it does capture the "limbo-ness". Were I not on fluoxetine I would certainly be a whole lot worse all the time - I get some really bad days - as do we all, I'm sure.
ZeroCook wrote:I won't get started on ego and money driven corrupt political agendas that helped get the pandemic underway. The tiresomeness of that is too epic.
hear, hear!

Having had both doses of the AstraZeneca jab, I was quite taken aback that I'm negative for antibodies, whereas OH is positive. I am on immuno-suppressants, and I also heard that apparently women are less likely to develop the antibodies. Stokey Sue, I have a feeling that you were negative for antibodies despite the fact you had the plague? I can't quite remember but think that you might have said that? Certainly one of my friends has had it and is negative.

It just adds another layer of insecurity. Even if you have the antibodies, you could still get it although perhaps not as badly, whereas if you haven't got the antibodies, although you might still be well protected against it, you're less confident that you are.

One of my bros is an oncologist and deals with methotrexate (which I'm on) and much worse for his patients all the time. He commented that the Indian variant is "vicious" and advised extreme care to avoid it. Given that India only goes on the red list tomorrow, one can't help thinking that the govt missed an opportunity to reduce its import to this country, and I'm afraid your groundhog day continues, ZC.

WW, :crossed you've found the cause.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:40 pm

WWordsworth wrote:I have been struggling with (small) nosebleeds, scabby nostrils and a sore throat, on and off, for some weeks.
Antihistamine tablets, my usual nasal spray etc etc have made no difference.

This week I washed my masks in non-bio and all symptoms have just about gone.
Phew.

:thumbsup
I have known so many people have bad reactions to bio laundry stuff I don't have it in the house (apart from stain removers for spot use), but I suffer form contact dermatitis so I'm very careful verging on obsessive

I mentioned before I had recurrent mild sore throats, sore tongue, sore gums - turned out to be sodium lauryl sulphate in toothpaste: I knew I had a skin reaction to it, but hadn't appreciated it was in toothpaste too!, Sensodyne seems to be safe though it doesn't taste very nice

I doubt the delay in adding in India to the red list will make much difference as it stops direct passenger flights from resuming, rather than stopping any that are already happening, just looked, only 2 direct flights arriving from Delhi today at LHR

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:03 pm

People flying in from red countries have to quarantine under supervision which I find quite reassuring as I'm not sure I would trust everyone to do it otherwise.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:18 pm

We’ve used Persil non Bio for years. We are an eczema-prone family, particularly the boys. I’ve tried other non Bios and still get a skin reaction. The latest was a Lidl replica (or poss Aldi). Not great.

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff