Register

Foodies In The News

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Foodies In The News

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:49 pm

I really enjoyed that KK although it made me hungry!

Nancy Birtwhistle fans. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... -rainwater

Conkers?? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Postby Busybee » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:57 pm

Ive heard of using conkers as a laundry detergent before, not that I’ve tried it.

I do use vinegar a fair bit whilst cleaning, windows and glass etc. I also use it as a fabric conditioner with lavender essential oil added, it supposed to be better for your washing machine and your clothes. Can’t say I’ve noticed much difference to the clothes, just as good as using a conditioner but my detergent drawer in the machine gleams it’s so clean!

BB

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:10 pm

I am half convinced - I am really worried by the amount of cheap chemical fragrance that goes into things, I’ve mentioned before that the pong from the local sewer vent is much the same as that from the launderette, that’s a lot of complex chemicals, mostly aromatic in both senses of the word, going into water, and I don’t suppose the manufacture is particularly eco-friendly. I wouldn’t mind if they actually did smell nice - but mostof them I find repulsive, does anyone really need socks scented with fake floral scents? But this article recommends instead the use of essential oils, which can be toxic (after all, they evolved to repel things that ate the plants) and are expensive

I think we need as a society to cut down on all the unnecessary “household” chemicals we use but I can’t see all the inhabitants of the Thamesmead estate dashing out to pick ivy leaves, which is just as well as there wouldn’t be enough and they’d be sure to pick up some irritants, allergens, and toxins along the way. This is not how we save the planet, though it’s a nice hobby for those with the time and resources.

Postby jeral » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:46 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:... puff pastry ...
Is there something different about ready rolled? Maybe it has already been through too many rolling processes.

I imagine the makers have worked out the best compression ratio of the fat layers to accomplish the desired steam lift necessary during baking. A programme on TV (Inside the Factory re pasties) showed them using two different fats, one for flavour, one for lift, which probably has a bearing. Perhaps all-butter or single fat (marg) pastry means that identical layers can cope with more flattening? That said, freshness is definitely a factor as, if fresh is near sell-by date, the rise is minimal I find.

I noticed a recipe yesterday advising something
we were always taught years ago but is rarely suggested now, which is flaying or grooving with the back of a knife the outer edge of a double-crust pie to aid rise. (Also avoiding excess water to seal that makes the edge gloopy.)

Postby jeral » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:00 pm

On cleaning, I'm now the proud recipient of five litres of white vinegar as I read that a 50:50 solution kills moth eggs and larvae. I'm still living in hope that one day will see the end of my moth invasion (like the Kodak ad skit
One day my prints will come ♪. Getting rid of every last moth or egg is no mean feat. Hey ho, onwards and upwards.

Postby scullion » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:11 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I think we need as a society to cut down on all the unnecessary “household” chemicals we use

i agree. i gave up using fabric conditioner some years ago and other than the overwhelming perfume the only thing i miss is the build-up in the washing machine. i don't really notice any difference in the fabrics.
we do have to be careful with what we put into our drains, anyway, as we're not on mains drainage.

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:03 am

I don't use fabric conditioner either.
When I stay with bro and SIL I don't sleep well as the fragrance on the bed linen is so strong.
She would be upset if I mentioned it.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:10 am

The last time I spent a weekend at a friends before lockdown I really noticed the scent of detergent + conditioner on the bedding, to the point where I had to wash my pjs when I got home

I do use unscented conditioner on some things

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:34 am

I think we had a thread on vintage cookbooks when we were Wildies. In the absence of restaurants to review Jay Rayner is looking at his favourites. The late, very much lamented, Gary Rhodes.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/j ... ary-rhodes

I’m not sure I’ve ever cooked a Gary Rhodes recipe.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:08 pm

I don't think I have either. He was so good but possibly only remembered by certain generations as he disappeared off the radar. I always remember how innovative his mushroom and onion steamed suet pudding seemed, intended, I think, as a veggie alternative at Christmas. I have always meant to try and make one.

Postby Pampy » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:46 pm

I still make his mushroom risotto.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:19 pm

I don't have that book, I have others,
Gary's recipes tend to be very long which can be daunting, but if you take the plunge it's because he is telling you everything you need to know in the order you need to know it, more as if you are being coached than given the usual vague outline

I now want the smoked haddock rarebit - I had the recipe on a magazine cutting, which of course I have lost (found it online but can't link to it easily)

Postby Pampy » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:52 pm

Smoked haddock rarebit sounds lovely! Would you mind posting the recipe if you manage to link to it please?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:44 pm

I can't gwet a link - the point of Rhodes recipe is that he makes a rarebit topping that he can mould like plasticine, and store frozen, then he tops a slap of lightly poached smoked haddock with the rarebit and flashes under the grill then serves on tomato dressed with vinaigrette
Here's Jame's Martin's version, I'm not sure about the beer myself
https://www.jamesmartinchef.co.uk/recip ... h-rarebit/

Postby scullion » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:44 pm

i've lifted this from an allotment forum where a member had asked for his recipe-

Gary's welsh rabbit. Gary is my Guru :)

700g mature cheddar
150ml milk
25g plain flour
50g fresh white breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon of English mustard powder
2 shakes worcestershire sauce
salt and freshly ground white pepper
2 eggs
2 egg yolks

Slowly melt the cheese and milk. Do not boil or the cheese will separate.

When the mixture is smooth and just begins to bubble, add the flour, breadcrumbs, mustard and cook for a few minute until the mixture comes away from the side of pan and begins to form a ball shape.

Add seasoning and worcester sauce.

Leave to go cold then put it into a food processor. With the motor running SLowly add the eggs and egg yolks. (if you do not have a processor use a mixer or beat like crazy with a wooden spoon.

Chill this mix in the fridge to cool. When cool it is very easy to use a bit like playdough.

The mix freezes beautifully. Divide it into 3 or 4 batches for use another time.

He uses this in top of his smoked haddock recipe which is divine.

it's a little different from james martin's.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:32 pm

Yes that's the one, thanks, - James, in all fairness says his is "inspired by" Gary's, not the same

I might have a go at Mr Rhodes', a half quantity, as it's a nice quick topping for quite a lot of things doesn't have to be smoked haddock or toast, frozen in half amounts, I remember watching him making it on TV many rears ago

Postby Pampy » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:42 am

Thanks, both. An excellent freezer standby.

Postby scullion » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:25 am

Stokey Sue wrote: I remember watching him making it on TV many rears ago

if i didn't know better i would think you were a serial dieter!

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:26 pm

The Guardian has a round up of best curry recipes today.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/j ... ry-recipes

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:17 pm

Not recipes - but fans of Kitchen Cabinet will know that Tim Hayward is a bona fide foodie, and he has written a detailed account of his Covid ICU experience.
It’s very good but quite heavy going
https://www.ft.com/content/2b0dbba3-6fe ... e87261d436

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox