Register

Favourite pasta dishes

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Favourite pasta dishes

Postby Kacey » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:18 pm

Oh Coriander and green chilli pesto! Delicious, we have it with pasta and broccoli. I think it came from Efcliz from the old board, she had some great posts for vegan foood.

Postby Wic » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:35 pm

Yes, KC, it was basil pesto, but I’m sure it would work well with any other version.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:56 pm

Dug out some of the pesto I made when I stripped my basil plants last summer and dressed some veg and wholemeal fusilli with it and some Parmesan, as I don add that to the pesto before freezing

Tonight I’ve made a mishmash lasagne, Nigella’s vegan spag bol sauce (recommended) layered wi Napoliina lasagne sheets and topped with cheese sauce (ordinary, not vegan), arguably a bit short on pasta, the Napolina sheets claim to need no pre-cooking and to be ready when the pasta has baked for 35 minutes, and they are very thin which makes this plausible

Postby Seatallan » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:33 pm

It's a lovely combo that isn't it? (with avocado I mean). I do it sometimes. Really have the urge now.... :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Kacey » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:39 pm

Made Ottolenghi's mushroom traybake ragu yesterday and had some of it with spaghetti for tea last night. Absolutely delicious, and two more portions for the two of us are now in the freezer

Postby Lokelani » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:22 pm

This thread has made me crave pasta. It's something I haven't done over or since Xmas.

It often becomes a meal I just throw whatever wants using up in. Favourites are:

Spag bol - but I do more the ragu route of half pork or veal, half beef mince, tomato puree, bit of milk, onion, celery, carrot, pancetta, stock & lots of red wine.

Spag carbonara - I stay fairly authentic with this

Chilli, lime, garlic with either prawns or salmon

Pesto - I make the Antonio Carluccio pesto recipe as it has tons of parmesan in compared to others & it freezes well in little pots. I do this one with extra toasted pine nuts, or olives, or if I have antipasti type veg from tubs or jars to use up, they go in.

Pancetta cubes again, I often do this one with bits from the above one.
Ditto chorizo, whole, sliced or crumb (which fries up super crisp & is amazing).

Simple passata & mascarpone sauce consisting of just those if in a hurry! If not, I add onions, peppers, garlic or whatever. Again that sauce freezes really well.

Ricotta, I usually do this one with courgettes, or frozen edamame beans, then add lemon zest & juice.

Sage butter - the most simple one, or talking of simple there is of course Nigella's marmite, butter & grated parmesan, actually very tasty!

My special occasion pasta:

Scallops, reduced sauce of white wine, lemon juice, garlic, cream, parsley. Parma ham fried until crispy enough to crumble over at end

Postby Suelle » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:48 pm

Kacey wrote:Made Ottolenghi's mushroom traybake ragu yesterday and had some of it with spaghetti for tea last night. Absolutely delicious, and two more portions for the two of us are now in the freezer

I used a portion of this for a vegetarian shepherd's pie yesterday. :)
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby halfateabag » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:53 pm

Smoked salmon trimmings put into a pot of single cream and left to stand for an hour ( I have also added dill and or garlic) serve over pasta and warm gently. So easy but so delish. :yum

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:14 pm

I found a pack of raw whole king prawns and half a dozen (king) scallops in the freezer, as well as a bag of shell-fish shells for broth and some HM crab bisque (or my interpretation anyway :roll: )

The whole lot eventually made into a shelf-fish sauce for tagliatelle that daughter declared absolutely delicious :yum :yum :yum I didn't think it was bad either ;)

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:39 pm

Wow Pat. How fabulous!!!! :yum :yum
I wish I could unexpectedly find things like that in my freezer!

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:04 pm

Great stuff - again!

Lokelani, really good list.

Pat - absolutely lovely stuff - I love making stocks with saved shellfish shells n fishy bits - I keep ziploc bags of bits in the freezer - always a treat. Just the best. I do a cioppino type of thing with homemade fresh pasta in the soup. Just glorious

Not an Ottolenghi fan, me. I must be the only one. But hey.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:17 pm

Wonderful recipe idea, Patsy!

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:53 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Wow Pat. How fabulous!!!! :yum :yum
I wish I could unexpectedly find things like that in my freezer!

I've still got the rabbit, but used the lobster up in a similar dish :thumbsup

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:26 pm

Tonight we had pasta with ham and peas - I had a packet of prosciutto that needed using up.
OH made it. He fried off the prosciutto and melted the shallots in the juice, added peas, parmesan and cream. He also made a mash of some of the peas and cream like a sort of thick sauce to go with the rest of the whole peas. We had it with our favourite Waitrose Egg Pappardelle.

It was excellent.

Postby jeral » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:13 pm

Fried crispy ravioli anyone? Recipe, well method, for freezing bought ravioli, dipping each in egg/milk mix, dipping in seasoned breadcrumbs (parmesan, sage, rosemary, black pepper), freezer'd to chill, then deep fried. (I would like these as I like tortellini pot stickers.) I imagine they could be oil dipped once chilled and airfried to cook.
https://foodnetwork.co.uk/recipes/crisp ... e-ravioli/

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:20 pm

I had pasta for dinner
Homemade pumpkin gnocchi from the freezer - cooked some broccoli florets, added them to a pasta bowl with a bit of homemade tomato sauce booted with a tsp of bought pesto, cooked the gnocchi in the broccoli water,added them, bit of cheese on top

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:00 am

Stokey Sue wrote:I had pasta for dinner
Homemade pumpkin gnocchi from the freezer - cooked some broccoli florets, added them to a pasta bowl with a bit of homemade tomato sauce booted with a tsp of bought pesto, cooked the gnocchi in the broccoli water,added them, bit of cheese on top

Sounds lovely, we've always wondered, are gnocchi hard to get right? It must be quite a messy job?

We've got a massive BN squash and maybe it's time for us to try with half of it!

Postby Amyw » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:20 am

That sounds lovely Sue have you got a recipe for the gnocchi ?

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:27 am

I didn’t find it too messy but not sure which recipe I followed, will have another look tomorrow

I think it prolly was BNS

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:57 pm

Sue, I've been checking out recipes for pumpkin/bns gnocchi. How did you make your mix? Did you use a ricer or a food processor, or a hand potato masher, or a sieve?

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox