Register

farms to feed us

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

farms to feed us

Postby scullion » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:11 pm

website with database of farms, all over the country, from whom you can buy direct.
https://farmstofeedus.org/about

Re: farms to feed us

Postby Suelle » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:45 am

This was featured on 'Rick Stein's Cornwall' TV programme, I believe. Great idea, but not an easy site to use in it's current format
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby scullion » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:58 am

yes it was - i thought it was a useful site to link to.
- and i found the database spreadsheet easy enough - which is the important, functional part, really. i didn't look around the other stuff.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:36 am

I can’t use it certainly on a tablet, might be ok on my desktop
Accessibility is very poor - I appreciate it’s done on a shoestring but there’s no call for that amount of visual clutter

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:28 am

Most of the ones local to me joined forces at the start of the first lockdown and have been innovative in setting up combined local schemes for food boxes, pop up markets, supplies to farm shops etc. I would rather buy from local people where possible.

This could be useful to see what's around but I agree about the format and am a little surprised at the huge number of people who seem to be involved with setting it up (who seem media types rather than hands on food producers). I hope it does well but can't work out who its aimed at.

Postby Suelle » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:03 am

Earthmaiden wrote:
This could be useful to see what's around but I agree about the format and am a little surprised at the huge number of people who seem to be involved with setting it up (who seem media types rather than hands on food producers). I hope it does well but can't work out who its aimed at.

Rick Stein was talking to one of those involved with setting it up in Cornwall. Initially it was to help Cornish food producers sell directly to the public, at the start of the pandemic when people were scared to go to supermarkets, but could still travel to farm shops to pick up fresh food (or have it delivered).

It's since expanded nationwide but seems to have lost something along the way. One link I followed lead to a meat producer who didn't sell directly to the public, but only listed places where their products could be found - and some of those were restaurants rather than shops.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:56 am

I've had a look at this site and never did find how I search for a farm near me :roll: :?

Postby scullion » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:47 pm

there is a menu at the top of the page that says 'database'. if you click on that and then on the 'view the database' button a little way down the page it will take you to the spread sheets. if you then chose the 'national' sheet tab at the bottom of the page it will take you to the list of all the suppliers who do or do not do online order. if you choose the 'local and national' tab it has a longer list of suppliers but with little information of what they do.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:46 am

thanks Scully ... I will dig a bit deeper ;) :? :roll: :lol:

And I found it only to discover there is nothing remotely near my neck of the woods... I do have a farm shop not too far away though where I can get their own chickens and lamb :thumbsup

Postby herbidacious » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:53 am

No, no farms near here, not surprisngly :) But various independent shops.

Cornwall does rather well :)

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox