Register

Any Pickling experts out there ?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Any Pickling experts out there ?

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:23 pm

Looks really lovely Pat but I've realised that that sort of thing sits in my cupboard forever. What do you eat it with?

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:05 am

I'm still stuck on once opened, longevity is limited. Maybe hot vinegar just gives slightly longer longevity once jar is opened? Or am I being thick?

No, Jeral - you´re not being thick at all! You´re just worried about something. In fact, I´d say your looking for a problem, rather than a solution. There´s nothing to worry about longevity.
A month ago, I opened a jar of pickled gherkins - home made. ( I actually took a photo, but the bloomin internet doesn´t want to pass the photo to g-mail. Never mind) . I keep them outside the fridge, in the cupboard, in a tropical climate. They´re fine. What´s more, if they DO go funny, you´ll notice: either you´ll see loads of bubbles rising through the jar, or the vinegar will go very cloudy (ie.white), or there will be mould on the top.
In the 10 years I produced chutneys, pickles, hot sauces, jams, etc. for the Venezuelan market, I only had ONE jar returned. A pineapple pickle which went off. The lid was faulty. 1 out of about 3,000,000 isn´t bad, I reckon.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:33 am

Earthmaiden wrote:Looks really lovely Pat but I've realised that that sort of thing sits in my cupboard forever. What do you eat it with?

I now put the B&B pickle on my cheese and crackers. I don't usually buy stuff like this for the same reason as you Em, however, as I've made this and I love the sweet/sour/heat of the pickles I think I will be having it with salads more often. I already buy, regularly, the hot and fiery beetroot from Tesco, I will eat my own instead. :thumbsup

Postby Amyw » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:22 pm

Yeah I love that beetroot Great with strong cheddar in a crusty roll

Postby Lokelani » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:43 pm

I love pickled beetroot with cold cheese or meat & always buy a jar at xmas.

Glad I read that about not boiling the lids, I've been doing that wrong for years. I didn't realise pouring over boiling water would be good enough. I know you can't sterilise them in the oven like the jars, due to the plastic melting I guess. So have always boiled them for 5 mins, same with the rubber seals from clip top jars.

The only one I've ever had a concern with was piccalilli having white crystals on the rubber seal of a clip top jar when opening months later. I think I read they were some sort of harmless substance though. Lived tot tell the tale anyway! :lol:

They look so pretty, lovely colours.

Postby Seatallan » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:48 pm

I've been pickling and preserving for yonks and the only time I've ever had a problem was with a random batch of apple cheese which, for some reason, fermented in the jars and blew the lids. It was the same recipe I'd made many times previously so I have no idea why it happened. Actually, it worked out rather well as the fermented cheese made a brilliant yeast starter! :D

Occasionally, I find jam eventually develops a wee layer of mould if the jar has been opened for a while (usually soft fruit jam and especially when the weather has been warm) but to be honest, I just scrape it off like I would with cheese.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:19 pm

Seatallan wrote:Occasionally, I find jam eventually develops a wee layer of mould if the jar has been opened for a while (usually soft fruit jam and especially when the weather has been warm) but to be honest, I just scrape it off like I would with cheese.

Phew, thought I was alone in doing that .. ;) :thumbsup

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:41 pm

I was brought up to do that too 8-).

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:06 pm

me too.
My mum used to make jam in the summer with any fruit we could get our hands on. The top of the jam was covered with a disc of greaseproof paper, and the jar was "sealed" with a cellophane top and an elastic band.

Mould? scrape it off with a spoon!

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:59 pm

I remember taking my bike on emergency dashed to the newspaper shop, to get another pack of jam pot covers :lol:

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox