Register

Veganuary

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Veganuary

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:16 pm

I notice that Atul Kocher (Great British Chefs) in his (easy) Beetroot Poriyal uses mustard oil. Is this available now for culinary use? Ta.

I too thought the article was very good. I think it´s important to point out that Mustard Oil was only deemed unsafe in the USA because of lab tests made over 60 years ago. I´ve been using mustard oil for cooking for over 40 years and I always say to myself - well, if half a billion Indian families use it, there can´t be much wrong with it. I should add, the flavour it adds to a dish is phenomenal.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:48 pm

It’s also not saleable for food use in EU and UK, it has to have the external use only label

I think the 60 year old research is applicable to the development of Canola, I’m pretty sure there has been research on erucic acid since

Postby Seatallan » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:01 pm

I used to use it a great deal in Asian pickles and chutneys . It was easy to get in Reading as all the Asian supermarkets/corner shops sold it. I can't easily get hold of it up here, which is a shame as it works so well.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby jeral » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:22 pm

Thanks for the info on mustard oil and informative linked article too :)

If one can get it, I'd have thought that the small amount most people here would use would be neither here nor there in health terms. My blasé view is that safety might kick in if using every day, so possibly a cumulative effect. Now, to find some...

It was interesting that if heated first, some hotness heat evaporated so it wasn't as pungent on the tastebuds.

Postby Seatallan » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:29 pm

Mamta says it loses the pungent smell when heated too, but I have to confess I've rarely bothered especially if using in pickle or chutney.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby jeral » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:54 pm

Thanks Seatallan (forgot my manners for a moment).

I think heating mustard oil was a Don't Panic if using it as a sizzling oil in a ladle with other spices that's drizzled over. Arguably, you'd want the hotness if adding to pickles. Good to know Mamta agrees 8-)

Postby Amyw » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:32 pm

Finally made a vegan dinner though it’s not the most attractive plate of food . Squash , aubergine , broccoli and peas simmered with red lentils , Thai green curry paste and coconut milk . The paste wasn’t that intense , so I added extra chilli, garlic and some bashed up lemongrass to it . Very filling and leftovers for tomorrow

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:54 pm

Amyw, it looks delicious! And from the way you've described it, extremely simple to make! Did you use a recipe or just wing it with the ingredients you had to hand?

Postby Amyw » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:31 pm

Oh literally winged it !! Cooked off all the veg starting off with the firmest first with the garlic and chillies , then added half a jar of the paste , 1 tin of coconut milk , then filled it with water and added again , then threw in the lentils and simmered till all cooked .

Feels nice and healthy with all the veg but really filling so not too rabbit foodie !

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:52 pm

Brilliant, good to know :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:29 pm

An interesting (but nice) mix of ingredients Amy.

Realised that my dinner was vegan tonight too. My favourite bean (or pulse) burgers made from blitzing a tin of pulses (mixed ones today) with grated carrot, onion, mushroom, a dash of garlic powder and dash of tomato ketchup and some walnuts and a little water to help it in the food processor. A few oats added then shaped into patties and dipped in panko crumbs. Learned that at my first wholefood cookery class circa 1978 and have loved them ever since. Eaten with cauliflower & broccoli and small helping of rice with pumpkin seeds. Not as calorific as it sounds. Plenty left for tomorrow.

Postby Amyw » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:13 am

Yeah it was a right old mish mash of veg , would have Thai people everywhere rolling in their graves .

Those bean burgers sound nice ... I’m a bit funny with pulses , but do like black beans so think I’d use those . Might give them a whirl

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:36 am

Excellent dish, Amy! I´m sure it was delish!

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:54 am

Sounds good - but if you really want vegan do check the label on your Thai curry paste, nearly all contain fish sauce and/or shrimp paste

I use Mae Ploy, and all the main types are quite heavy on the kapi (shrimp paste), there are plenty of seafood free recipes for the pastes online but a quick look didn’t find any ready made though I bet they exist

Postby Amyw » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:21 pm

I did check mine , no mention of either

Postby scullion » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:47 pm

one of the ones that's a 'special' in lidl, sometimes, has no shrimp paste etc in but as those are few and far between i now cobble my own together.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:13 pm

We've talked waffles on another thread recently, mostly made with an egg & milk pancake type mixture, usually with SR flour and baking powder and often with whipped egg whites to make them even lighter.

I've just read a recipe in my vegan cookbook which calls for an almost identical amount of SR flour, baking powder, soya milk and oil to a normal waffle recipe plus 70ml orange juice and the zest and juice of a lemon. No egg (obviously).

Everything is mixed and poured into a waffle maker for 8-10 mins (which seems a long time).

Do you think they'd work? Would the acidity of the juice help the mixture 'rise'?

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:03 pm

Another vegan recipe round up from The G.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ked-salmon

If any aspiring young vegans do Insta can I recommend looking at lauthevegan. She’s a co-producer on C4’s Sunday Brunch (and also happens to be my niece). :oops: :oops: :oops:

Postby Kacey » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:34 pm

After reading the waffle thread on here I asked OH for a waffle maker for Christmas (it does toasties and paninis too) I made waffles using Smitch's recipe, I must admit the egg bit was a faff, I hadn't thought to look for a vegan alternative. Must do some research

I was very pleased with the results of my first attempt. Next go will be a savoury version.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:13 pm

Do let us know if you try eggless waffles Kacey. I can let you have exact quantities of ingredients if you are interested, but cannot vouch for the results! Not sure why you found eggs a faff - beating the whites is optional.

Interesting recipes PP. As usual, a good few I wouldn't eat whether vegan or not. I was very interested in the ingredient mentioned in the Nut Pie - " homemade kishk, which is fermented bulgur wheat, and has something of the texture and taste of feta". Never heard of that, must investigate.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox