Register

Veganuary

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Veganuary

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:33 am

I hear what you are saying, and fully understand.
I always say vegan is a fine cuisine, and it should stand up for itself.

But I go the other way. I find the use of familiar favourite terms inclusive. Especially if I'm actually cooking the vegan dish, I like to know what the result is going to be.
That is to say, I know what I'm getting, but realise it will taste a bit different.
Vegan cream for example does not taste like the dairy one, but I do like it.
Shop bought or homemade with cashew.

One thing I do do, when cooking vegan, I keep it true to the recipe, and that means animal free. I won't sub an ingredient with an animal alternative if I'm taking the trouble to produce vegan.
I feel quite proud when I'm done too.

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:13 am

Isn't this another version of the argument that used to rage on the BBC boards about a gratin of beetroots called Dauphinoise or Coq au Vin made with hens?

No matter how strongly held the belief that certain dishes must be made with certain ingredients, it's lost before it starts. :D

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:54 am

I think that’s a minefield - is a sausages a sausage because it’s made from meat, or because sausage is the usual English name for a small cylinder of savoury food generally served hot after frying or grilling? Cf Glamorgan sausage, which is I think quite traditional

I agree that vegan garlic butter Parmesan is a nonsense but I don’t think spaghetti normally contains egg, I’ve not had spaghetti containing egg either here or in Italy that I remember, and good commercial spaghetti like De Cecco or Barilla is egg free - edited to add that as spaghetti is made by extrusion through a die it’s not commonly home made

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:16 pm

Is Barilla egg free? That's good to know (on this thread), as I'm a recent convert to it.
I think it's a great brand for pasta and choose it, where before I always used de Cecco.

Postby Pampy » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:30 pm

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:50 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Is Barilla egg free? That's good to know (on this thread), as I'm a recent convert to it.
I think it's a great brand for pasta and choose it, where before I always used de Cecco.

I think most dried pasta is made with just very strong wheat flour and water, if it’s an egg noodle it will say so on the package - it’s a selling point

But you need to check the package of course

Postby Amyw » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:03 pm

I think I’d only expect egg in pasta to be found in the fresh stuff myself

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:27 pm

I'm sure I remember packets of pasta all'uovo years ago before fresh pasta was commonly available, but haven't seen it for ages. Chinese egg noodles are still common though.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:36 pm

That’s what i meant really - if dried Italian pasta contains egg it will be proudly proclaimed but I didn’t remember all’uovo, good call

Chinese egg noodles are odd - most don’t in fact contain egg as it’s the generic term for yellow wheat flour thin noodles, but some do so you have to read the label. My current pack (from Asda) contains egg but my last (from the Asian grocer) didn’t
I think Ching said that in the Chinese characters there’s no obvious difference between “egg colour” and “egg containing”?

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:02 pm

I didn't know that. It sent me scurrying to the cupboard to check the packet of Sharwood's we've got. They do contain egg.

I can't help thinking that calling a product 'egg noodles' and not putting egg in them might invite litigation. :D

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:45 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:can't help thinking that calling a product 'egg noodles' and not putting egg in them might invite litigation.

Yes, I think EU legislation may mean that those with a package intended for the UK or EU market and labelled egg noodles probably will contain real egg

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:46 am

I was in the supermarket today and, because I (mistakenly) believed that all pasta was made with eggs, I took a gander at all the imported pasta varieties, NONE were made with eggs. Di Cecco, Barilla, etc.etc., all made with something called semola durum - which I imagine is fine ground semolina.
You learn something every day.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:56 am

Semola, semoule, semolina - the point is the durum (literally hard) wheat from which it is the endosperm (the dense white bit in the middle

Durum wheat has a very high gluten content, you only need egg to make pasta from low gluten flour I think, and it’s usually used in home recipes

Postby scullion » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:24 am

it's also cheaper to make and has a longer shelf life, for transportation, than pasta made with egg - which may also make a difference - financial aspects always do!

Postby Pampy » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:08 pm

Postby jeral » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:05 am

I'm spending far too long reading/saving/printing Vegan recipes from collections people are posting, leaving no time to make any, doh.

I notice that Atul Kocher (Great British Chefs) in his (easy) Beetroot Poriyal uses mustard oil. Is this available now for culinary use? Ta.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:07 am

You can definitely get it in the Indian supermarket stores.
I seem to remember mine had no disclaimer on it.

Postby scullion » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:53 am

jeral wrote: mustard oil. Is this available now for culinary use?

this article has information as to why the bottles have the 'for external use only' disclaimer on them.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:44 pm

Vegan apple pudding cake looks nice. https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/j ... dding-cake

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:57 pm

scullion wrote:
jeral wrote: mustard oil. Is this available now for culinary use?

this article has information as to why the bottles have the 'for external use only' disclaimer on them.

Very good article IMO - Nik Sharma irritates me sometimes but he’s a scientist turned foodie and when he gets it right he nails it

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox