Register

snacks and nibbles

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: snacks and nibbles

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:07 am

Cream Tea! We love them. I could always make up a batch of scones.

Clive, energy balls are the thing over here. They're (usually) lovely, and I've used them often before or after my training, when you cannot eat too much.

I've turned around on breakfast.
I used to skip it, but now make a substantial meal of it.

Pepper, if I snack when I have eaten well, you are right. I'll bang on the pounds. At my studio, next to the art school, ladies would bake cakes, bring biscuits, we had a kitchen, and we'd sit and have a lunch together (remember those days). I did it for 2 years :oops:
I really had to change my approach to overeating.
Booked into the personal trainer in the building, with the landlord who had the same problem. And we both got our act together.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:16 pm

I really like these

Wordsworth, they're delicious. Tony agrees. I've just had a bowl of salted lentil curls with my cuppa.
I do like most things lentil, I was brought up on them, pearly barley, broths etc. These are a bit like poppadoms.

Next up, EM's power balls.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:20 pm

I don't snack either, really, so these really rather nice, if quite pricey, crackers would be a very light lunch, eaten with just butter or some proper cream cheese (Waitrose do a French full fat one which us very good.)

https://www.petersyard.com/product/seed ... ingle-box/

I am keen to try some of the other flavours... pink peppercorn, caraway...

Various colleagues' semi-dieting standbys were those thin rice or corn cakes coated quite thickly with chocolate.

Postby Pampy » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:52 pm

I was gifted a selection of cheeses just before Christmas and it came with seeded sourdough crackers. I liked the taste but did find them exceptionally hard.

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:53 pm

Ooh Gill, did I introduce you to something?
Or perhaps you were already acquainted?

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:14 am

WWordsworth wrote:I really like these, very crunchy and not many calories.
There is sour cream and chive flavour too; I prefer these ones.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /297348848

Other supermarkets do them too. I cannot stop at a respectable helping :oops: :oops:

Postby northleedsbhoy » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:42 am

I’m not normally a snacker but lockdown has turned me into one :oops: although I try to limit it to a couple of times a week. My preference is cheese and red grapes but I also occasionally have some of these especially the sea salt and balsamic vinegar. I also sometimes buy Sainsbury’s prawn crackers.

https://www.jacobs.co.uk/products/cracker-crisps/

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:31 am

You introduced me to them, WW, thank you.

Peters Yard are lovely. I agree.
Yes my days of biting hard crackers without a care are over, Pampy. This new molar crown cost a fortune and is still sensitive.

I shall look at the Jacobs new offerings too.

I just never look in the crispy aisle so most of these things are new to me. Not that I want to over do it. ;)

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:25 pm

i get confused by the number of "dietary interventions" (tongue firmly in cheek) that can be covered by the term "snack"

I looked it up in the dictionary, which revealed mainly that lexicographers are as confused as the rest of us

The Oxford Learner's Dictionary makes most sense
Snack a small meal or amount of food, usually eaten in a hurry
- a mid-morning snack
- I only have time for a snack at lunchtime.
- Do you serve bar snacks?
- a snack lunch

When I was a child, I understood a snack to be a replacement for a meal, as Earthmaiden says some snacks such as elevenses had their own titles so didn't need to be referred to as snack

But since grazing became such a feature of modern life snacking/grazing seems to have become a big thing, and people snack on things I wouldn't think of, people stock their fridges with hard boiled eggs for snacking, my friend was amused by her student son & his friends checking they had plenty of snacks to take on any outing however minor - though unlike us at that age they probably wouldn't plan a lunch stop or even regard lunch as an essential part of their day

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:08 pm

That's list doesn't cover what I get from a snack.
More of a treat. Something a bit "specialer", than say a piece of fruit to keep you going.

Talking of special, those powerballs are excellent, EM.
1 x tweak as I don't like cinnamon (I was put off of it by a cup of coffee with a thick, thick sprinkled layer on top that made me feel ill).
So I used desecrated desiccated coconut, not too much just a tablespoon. That too can be a bit much.

I prefer them without the almond crumb, so stopped dusting after 6 (5 in the picture plus one to taste test). Lovely both ways mind you, exactly my sort of thing.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:42 pm

I'm glad you like them, Gill. I think the almond crumb is supposed to stop them sticking together in storage but it has to be applied sparingly!

Perhaps a snack is just the opposite of a 'substantial meal' ;).

Postby Pampy » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:16 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby jeral » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:44 am

<- Re smileys, I was wondering before I saw them how many powerballs I'd wolf down for a snack... I suppose as many as I took out with me and therein lies the discipline.

In home lockdown and if like a lot of truffles they're made in sixes, I'd probably feel honour bound to save one for supper ;)

I could only think of small tall scones (the crumbly egg sort), either cheese or with sultanas or cherries. A semi-dry treat snack would be (for me) 1" cubes of Jamaica Ginger dipped in dark chocolate.

PS Re new crown, is it a bit too high and needs a touch grinding off to ease your bite on it?

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:57 am

Correct, Jeral.
It's been ground down twice now, and I don't want to go back to a dentist for a while.
I told her I'd give it 6mths to calm down - it's been 5 now and it's loads better. When I next go, I'll get her take a tad more off, and that's it.

Computer generated, 3D tooth printer teeth in 1hr, ain't what they used to be.

EM
I had the opposite problem, my mix was quite dry. I added tahini liquor to bring them together.
Tony loves the taste, but not the texture - he's not used to scoffing these types of snax.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:15 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Tony loves the taste, but not the texture - he's not used to scoffing these types of snax.

That sort of texture does take some getting used to if you're unfamiliar with it I think.

Jeral, they are quite dense in texture and sweet. I can be quite greedy with 'small morsels' but wouldn't want too many of these in one go.

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:54 pm

Enjoying Tesco lentil curls with a g&t
Because I can :D

Postby jeral » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:20 am

I bought some Asda mildly hot cauliflower bites, like little falafels in texture. Such things tend to be disappointing to me but these are quite good when oven-heated for 8-10 mins. They can be eaten straight from the pack which has 16. I cooked six and was full after four. I haven't figured out what dip would be best yet, although the minty Marie Rose I made sort of worked.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:48 pm

I´d make a minty yoghurt , rather than Marie Rose. Mayo and tomato ketchup would clash with the flavours; I´d want something a bit acidic and fresh.

Postby jeral » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:33 pm

Thanks karadekoolaid. I thought of mint/yoghurt but they're not hot enough to need cooling which'd kill it, yet not mild enough to need extra spice in a dip as the heat builds as you eat them. Still, I bought two packs (32) so 26 are left to play with, grin.

Taking your lead, a side of minty lemon/lime dressing on finely shredded coleslaw or maybe even carrot matchsticks would work. The slaw will have to be sliced (raw) pak choi stems for now - it's an underrated veg I reckon.

Postby MagicMarmite » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:06 pm

I really like the barbecue Graze snack packs, though they are v expensive.
I've also just discovered Serious Pig crunchy snacking cheese and of course I love it, because cheese!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox