Register

What are you baking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What are you baking this week?

Postby jeral » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:30 pm

To convert 225ml 1% skimmed milk to 3.5% whole milk, add 12ml 48% double cream and deduct 12ml skimmed (a scant 15ml tablespoon).

I don't know if it would make any difference given all the other ingredients, which should make a delicious stollen either way :)

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:07 am

I think jeral is right, add a smidge if it's going spre, but it makes little difference

I have been trying off and on to make some decent bread rolls, neither rock hard nor pappy
Finally cracked it, half white half wholemeal flour, light as a feather - think I'll make a half quantity next time, not sire how many I can get in the freezer, they are not petite :bounce:

Postby Rainbow » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:10 am

They look really good, Sue. What recipe did you use, or was it one of your own?

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:56 am

They look perfect. You've certainly cracked it, Sue.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:36 pm

Rainbow wrote:They look really good, Sue. What recipe did you use, or was it one of your own?

Apart from the flour it was this one; I made 10 and they are about the same size as you’d get from a high street bakery

http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?e=368

Compared to previous attempts the tweaks seem to be more liquid and less heat, 160°C fan is quite a low oven for bread. I don’t have a stand mixer so kneaded well by hand, the dough wasn’t that sticky after a good mix with my dough whisk

Postby ZeroCook » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:53 pm

Re Stollen and milk type: What the others say - it's about fats and liquids and proteins when eggs are added. If adding cream, just count it as part of the liquids. And wouldn't hugely matter if only 1% was used IMO.

Very perfect looking rolls, Stokey. Eat, eat, and repeat! :D

Postby Suffs » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:27 pm

Thanks folks ... it’ll probably depend on how much cream we have left by the time I bake it ... we ought to have some left ... I ordered double the amount we actually need :lol:

Postby aero280 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:07 pm

Another stollen! :) This time the Dan Lepard one. More of a deep tray bake.

Just out of the oven and waiting to cool a bit before being brushed with butter and wrapped up until needed.

IMG_3585.JPG
IMG_3585.JPG (85.16 KiB) Viewed 3879 times

Postby scullion » Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:14 am

Stokey Sue wrote: more liquid and less heat, 160°C fan is quite a low oven for bread.

my partner makes quite a wet dough and, often, the tube out in the garden only gets up to that sort of temperature (minus fan) but still makes a good loaf. i'm not sure that bread making is the exacting art that we are led to believe!

Postby herbidacious » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:45 pm

The royal icing that went on the C cake yesterday afternoon has not set. any tips? It's in a tin. Should I take the lid off? Not iced the sides...

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:00 pm

Can't help, Herbi, have never ever made royal icing :lol: :oops:

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:19 pm

It does have to dry so leaving the lid off may help. My well- used icing 'bible'* suggests building up the icing in thin layers and leaving in a warm place for 2-3 days to dry. I expect if you apply it more thickly and possibly used glycerine it would take a while.

It will still taste nice if not quite dry but perhaps you wanted to apply elaborate decorations?

*Cake Decorating and Sugarcraft by Evelym Wallace. Hamlyn 1967.

Postby jeral » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:15 pm

Yes, I recall it takes two or three days for royal icing to dry/harden, although when it does it is rock solid, enough to be sandpapered smooth. If the cake is a rich fruit mix, leaving the lid off won't hurt it, or the icing. If not set after that sort of time, maybe it won't.

Postby scullion » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:28 pm

apart from the fact that i haven't made a christmas cake for some years (the kids don't like it and my partner complained that he was eating too much of it - his choice) i never put the icing on - we had a 'pee in the snow' sort of decoration with just the marzipan. neither of us like the icing layer.
we were given a small christmas cake, yesterday. we both ditched the icing in the bin and ate the cake and marzipan layer.
i think that's the disappointing thing about some wedding cakes. lovely decoration on some but a real heart sink if you get an edge piece with a thick layer of icing, hardly any cake - and with only a thin layer of dried out marzipan.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:19 pm

Well if it doesn't, it doesn't. I put marzipan and icing on it for husband, who likes it (but just on the top, as I don't so much.)

But thanks. Will try to be patient. It smells so good...

p.s. no glycerine. i didn't have any. (Well actually I did, but didn't realize it. For future reference, glycerine from Boots would have been fine? I bought it for making soap bubbles!)
No eleaborate decoratoins...

Thanks all!

Postby ZeroCook » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:18 am

How was the DL Stollen, Aero?

herbidacious wrote:The royal icing that went on the C cake yesterday afternoon has not set. any tips? It's in a tin. Should I take the lid off? Not iced the sides...

Takes best part of a week for a full icing job, Herbidacious, possibly less for just the top, depending on thickness, but definitely let it sit out - helps it dry. Think meringue meets spackle. But it's quite nice semi-set too - squidgy-meringue-y, if you like that sort of thing. :D

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:55 am

neither of us like the icing layer.

I like my Christmas cake naked and I eat it with a chunk of cheese.
Wensleydale by choice but I failed to buy any so we're on Cumbrian cheddar.

Postby Pampy » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:04 am

Me too!

Postby slimpersoninside » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:23 pm

Anyone else doing any post-holiday baking yet?

Sunday I baked a yoghurt loaf cake.

Sorry no photo, it's been savaged :oops: :lol: .

Postby aero280 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:21 pm

I'd forgotten about this thread.

I made the Dan Lepard stollen. It baked well, but I should have remembered that the quantity of marzipan he specifies is a bit too much for my taste, and overwhelms the cake. It ends up as lumps of marzipan surrounded by cake mix, rather than cake with bits of marzipan to taste.

Because I made the other full size traditional stollen earlier, I waited until that was finished, before starting the DL one, so we have only just finished the two. The DL one was wrapped in foil. The trad one needed some gentle microwaving to soften it towards the end.

We needed a quick loaf because I'd forgotten that we were getting low. So I didn't have time for the overnight prove of the sourdough. I made a white loaf, but added a 100g of rolled oats, just for fun. It was really nicee. I'll probably do it again when I need a loaf in a hurry.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox