Register

Veganuary

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Veganuary

Postby Amyw » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:33 pm

Sorry Dennis totally missed you posted the link first

Postby jeral » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:50 pm

Is there a philosophy or "mind" thinking behind January being chosen to switch to Vegan food? Yes, it's New Year and maybe a psychological backlash and fresh start welcome, but surely everyone's fridge and freezer is still full of meat, fish and cheese that they probably eat much less of normally and in the summer when salads come into their own. So why January?

I wondered especially when my accomplished and knowledgeable vegan friends (now of about 5 years) had nut roast for Christmas. Surely many carnivores will just sigh at that thought in winter months? In context, my friends have put on whole table spreads of vegan food for gatherings but were only two for this Christmas so I'll let them off ;)
---

I'm prepping lots of veg tonight. A decidedly concerted effort. Ginger, onion, carrot for trinity. Samosa fodder: typical spud, carrot, peas, spinach. Chopping of leek, shallots, onions. Mushrooms sliced and sauteed with thyme, garlic in some.

Should be enough "bases" with not much else needed for pastries, pastas, soups for a day or two ;)

Postby scullion » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:03 pm

jeral wrote: So why January?
because it makes an easier slogan than any of the other months?
and maybe because it's the month that people think of dieting after christmas/making new years resolutions.

Postby jeral » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:24 pm

That what I mean, it's superficial and possibly media catchy but without meaningful thought. I mean no one will have extra money to start splashing out on chia/flax/sunflower seeds, quinoa, wild rice, expensive nuts, tofu and Quorn, agave syrup, obscure pulses and spices, vegan milk/cheese/yoghurt - and expect to pay their heating bills!

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:38 pm

I always think the same thing about 'meat free Mondays'. Traditionally, people have roast meat on Sundays with some left over for the next day - which is Monday.

I think a lot (not all of course) of people doing Veganuary without much preparation will partake of the many ready prepared vegan foods available nowadays both from supermarkets and takeaway. Those who take it seriously and continue into February will buy new ingredients gradually, or may have some of them already.

Postby Amyw » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:52 pm

Is it any more expensive to go vegan than continue as an omnivore though ? Surely it depends on your type if good choices within each diet but I’d imagine going vegan would probably be a cheaper option overall.

Lentils , pulses and beans are cheap as chips , dried or tinned . I don’t think tofu is particularly expensive compared to say a pack of chicken breasts in a curry.

If you’re someone that enjoys cooking a lot , you’d have a pretty extensive food cupboard already I’d have thought and your carb choices could just be the same as an omnivorous diet .

With regards to the weather choice of Veganuary , I think you can make lots of hearty , warming vegan dishes . Curries, tagines, chunky soups etc

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:34 pm

Postby Rainbow » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:42 am

dennispc wrote:Hi AmyW, couldn’t help wondering why your link to the blog goes to a different page than the one I posted. Perhaps my link is from when it started. Not a problem as both work.

Way back (2017?) he thought he lost most of the blog, but Riocaz helped him get it back.

Just made me think - has anyone heard from Rio recently?

Postby jeral » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:49 am

Gosh, Pepper Pig, that's not exactly an awe inspiring vegan collection selected by The Guardian is it? I suppose because the emphasis was on quick.

Amyw, I agree that one can become vegan successfully even in winter. I just wonder why anyone would want to bother to try casseroles, curries or soups without meat knowing that a sausage, bacon, or even mince would improve them in their eyes. (Ditto Meat-free Mondays Earthmaiden.)

Maybe scullion got it (the choosing of January) by mentioning the diet incentive after Christmas, since most will assume vegan is rabbit food and bird seed.

I'd think a diet warning is due in that some might find themselves eating more to make up for the meat umami taste they're missing until knowledge improves as to how else it can be created.

Postby Pampy » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:59 am

Postby dennispc » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:01 am

Amyw wrote:Sorry Dennis totally missed you posted the link first

:D Not a problem Amyw, glad you did otherwise I wouldn't seen the different page.

(I thought I'd posted this yesterday, obviously pressed the wrong button, or didn't press Submit.)

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:40 am

Pampy, the chocolate one looks fantastic.
I can see myself making it for much needed treats.

Postby scullion » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:50 pm

jeral wrote:I'd think a diet warning is due in that some might find themselves eating more to make up for the meat umami taste they're missing until knowledge improves as to how else it can be created.

i don't think that would happen nowadays. there are plenty of meat substitutes that give the required umami kick and make it easy for meat eaters to transition to a vegan diet.
i have to say that i don't look down on the meat substitutes. many parents have to disguise meat and fish to get their children to eat it (i was allowed fishcakes rather than proper fish when i was little - with a lot of tomato sauce). i consider that they are a veg protein in a shape recognised in food production rather than a meat mimic - and if there's a lower carbon footprint all the better.
it's a long time since i've eaten meat so i don't really know if they taste like it but to me they smell better than most meat when cooking.

Postby Amyw » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:56 pm

I agree scullion about the meat subs . Most omnivores buy bacon sausages etc which are processed so I don’t see the difference between veggies/vegans buying diet suitable sausages , Kiev’s etc.

I think the main thing missed from going vegan would be more the texture of meat , particularly the crispy bits rather than the umami taste . Smells as well , I think the main reason most people crack when it comes to bacon .

I was just about to post my vegan lunch , which was quorn vegan pieces cooked with peppers mushrooms onions , lots of garlic and chillies and a paprika heavy tomato rice with lemon and coriander rice . I then realised I’d covered it with grated cheese , doh!!

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:28 pm

Sober October, Dry January, Veganuary, Meat Free Monday... it's all about alliteration, rhymes and general word play :) Plus the traditional new resolution thing and it seems psychologically easier to start things at... the start (of the year, the month, the week).

I had an email about the new Hotel Chocolat vegan range.

Amy, is most Quorn vegan, now? (If you don't add cheese :) )

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:06 pm

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:42 pm

That's really useful.

My favourite non-dairy chocolate mousse is made with avocado.

Postby Amyw » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:05 pm

herbidacious wrote:Sober October, Dry January, Veganuary, Meat Free Monday... it's all about alliteration, rhymes and general word play :) Plus the traditional new resolution thing and it seems psychologically easier to start things at... the start (of the year, the month, the week).

I had an email about the new Hotel Chocolat vegan range.

Amy, is most Quorn vegan, now? (If you don't add cheese :) )

Here’s a list of all the vegan products Herbi. https://www.quorn.co.uk/products/vegan-food

The Tex Mex nuggets are nice

Postby slimpersoninside » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:27 am

WWordsworth wrote:I intended to make celeriac risotto tonight, but things changed and we had cottage pie.

Nothing about veganism I'm afraid.

I've only just looked on here after a comment elsewhere about Smitch no longer posting :( .

I read the above post and thought WW was going to make an eccentric risotto :oops: , my excuse is it's past my bedtime!

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:59 am

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/j ... o-tiramisu

I´ve got a problem with this. ( No reflection on your posting,PP!! You´re just the messenger :clap :clap )
Why, oh why, does vegan (or vegetarian ) food have to use omnivore monickers?? What is wrong with giving a vegan/vegetarian dish an original name and selling it for what it is ? Where has creativity gone? :? Modern restaurant menus describe their dishes in as sensual a way as possible, in order to attract their clients, but...

I can accept vegan/vegetarian "sausages" or "burgers" ; guilty as charged; I´ve been making them for over 40 years and they´re now part of standard vegan/vegetarian nomenclature.
However, "Garlic butter parmesan spaghetti" is absurdly named in the Grauniad. Butter is from cows; parmesan is cheese and (proper) spaghetti uses eggs. Never can be vegan - ever. be creative - call it something else. i´d love to eat it.
A "Vegan pulled pork sandwich". Puleese! Pork is from piggie-wigs - they´re animals for goodness sake! Not even with jackfruit.
Sunday Roast. The first thing anyone will think of is roasted meat with a load of veg. I´m happy (and have been for years) to leave the meat to one side and eat all the lovely potatoes, parsnips, cauliflower, braised cabbage, and honeyed carrots.
Tiramisú: mascarpone. Try me - and I´ve tasted some delicious, delightful vegan "cheese" products - but you´ll never, ever get close to the special creaminess of mascarpone. So why steal the name?

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox