Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Chatterbox

Postby Uschi » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:04 pm

I am glad that I was too young for block mascara. It was always wands from as long as I was able to reach Mama's cosmetics in her cabinet. :o

Postby Seatallan » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:37 pm

I remember when I started secondary school there were some 'big girls' that used it. I was terrified of them.... :)
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:59 pm

Block mascara was better value even than Miners and definitely cheaper when the children were small and we didn't have much money. So much fuss about hygiene these days - who didn't suffer having their face washed with spit on a hanky? :lol: :lol: (ok, I clearly understand why it is unhygienic). I have been known to spit on a wand to make the mascara go further too :oops:.

Postby scullion » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:33 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I have been known to spit on a wand to make the mascara go further too

i extend mine with a dribble of boiling water into the tube, along with leaving that part in a cup of boiling water for a while and plunging the brush up and down to mix (along with pushing the solidified bits that accumulate round the openings back down into the tube). works a treat - i keep doing it until there's hardly enough to coat my lashes. i'm such a cheapskate!
Earthmaiden wrote:So much fuss about hygiene these days - who didn't suffer having their face washed with spit on a hanky?

it wasn't so much the spit (yeuk - didn't know any better at that age) as the smell of the hanky. a sweet sickly perfume/handbag smell.
i vowed i would never do it to my young - although i did make them spit on a tissue to remove stuff from their own face on the odd occasion.

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:38 pm

Yep, put the tube in e mug of hot water to soften the contents.
If I'm in a hurry I hold the tube under the hot tap for a minute.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:42 pm

For much of the past 45 years I have lived in houses with downstairs bathrooms and applied makeup in bedrooms upstairs. Spit is so much more convenient in such circumstances ;).

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:18 am

Earthmaiden wrote:For much of the past 45 years I have lived in houses with downstairs bathrooms and applied makeup in bedrooms upstairs. Spit is so much more convenient in such circumstances ;).

Even though my bathroom and bedroom have always been on the same floor, I always use the bathroom to apply make-up (that now seems so long ago since I last did that :o ) as the light is so much better in there .

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:03 pm

I have always tended to use the bathroom for make up, possibly because in my case the make up period was the same as the contact lens period and I needed running water as part of the overall process of getting ready, and for emergency clean up of mascara coated lenses

Postby scullion » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:10 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Spit is so much more convenient in such circumstances ;).

i don't do the rehydration every day, just every month or so, and in the kitchen. i know you're not meant to use a mascara for more than a few months because of the build up of bacteria but i do it in the hope that the heat kills any bacteria!
i use it in the living room - where the light is much better.

Postby dennispc » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:49 pm

Something else I thought I'd posted didn't appear recently.

Our Yorkshire family's chicken, plus foil, eating dog, Bella

Bella.JPG

And the recent chocolate orange one, Betty

Betty.jpg

Postby scullion » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:17 pm

hahahaha - pet shaming!
i could do that with one of our cats - she's been a very bad girl.

Postby jeral » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:24 pm

Butter wouldn't melt. Far too adorable.

Postby Jrc123 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:55 am

Hello. :newhuggy

W@@@ has been getting in the way. I am now also chair of a local charity. I have screwed up and slipped in the bathroom night before last.

Went to walk in centre yesterday who decided I have broken a load of ribs near my spine. Every time I try and move I am nearly reduced to tears. I am allergic to Tramadol, Codeine and anything Morphine based so am having to rely on my regular Pregabelin.

Only good news I’d as of yesterday Bob has been furloughed again so he is home to help me out.

My back is slowly going black so Bob is going to get some arnica but this really isn’t funny. I can’t even blow my nose without it hurting. :cry:

Hope everyone is staying safe. :newhuggy

Postby Suffs » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:57 am

Oh Jrc!!! :shock: :( hope you're on the sofa ... here's a :mug:

Postby Jrc123 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:08 pm

Suffs wrote:Oh Jrc!!! :shock: :( hope you're on the sofa ... here's a :mug:

Thank you. Yep, made it to the sofa. I am awaiting a call back from the GP to see how much I can increase the Pregabelin by. I have never known pain like this. Or what I can take as a combo. Just really appreciate having Bob home.

I am meant to be doing the business accounts today but I can’t see that happening.

Hope everyone is ok. :newhuggy

Postby Renee » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:28 pm

Oh no Jrc! :o What a terrible thing to happen and the pain must be awful. Thank goodness that you're not on your own.

Postby Jrc123 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:49 pm

I am lucky to have Bob home.

He has popped out to get a couple of things. We also look after our 92 year old. She is the only person in our bubble.

Still waiting for GP to call so keeping the phone line clear. I looked up re arnica and decided to abort as apparently you are not meant to take it if you are on blood thinners. :roll:

Hope everyone is staying safe. :newhuggy

Postby Seatallan » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:30 pm

jrc, I do hope the pain eases off soon. Thank goodness Bob has been furloughed! Healing hugs.... :newhuggy
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:59 am

Good to see you post jrc but not so good to hear you've been in the wars. It sounds nasty. Take it easy and I hope that there is some sort of pain relief which can help :newhuggy.

Postby Jrc123 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:05 pm

Really struggling today. Very limited on pain relief I can take due to being allergic. :cry:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox