Register

Jackfruit

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Jackfruit

Postby mark111757 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:45 pm

Saw this in my travels and thought I would share.
There was a recipe in one of the Saturday magazine supplements..and the tinned stuff I can lay my hands. The.one place that offered it fresh wantef $20 or more for it
Thanks I will pass......

Re: Jackfruit

Postby Suelle » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:30 pm

Pushing jackfruit as a meat substitute really angers me.

I've tried it and quite like it in things like vegetable casseroles and curries - it's texture is similar to pulled pork. But - it is a fruit, not a grain or pulse, and as such it's protein content in minimal.

It may make you feel as if you are eating meat, but it adds very little except texture to a dish - certainly not the equivalent nutritional values of meat.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:50 pm

Canned jackfruit is becoming ubiquitous here
I have had fresh, as fruit and liked it but wouldn’t rave about it

A local vegetarian tapas bar used to do jackfruit “ meatballs”, which were delicious, and of course fine nutritionally as one among several small plates, usually including nuts and pulses

Postby Renee » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:23 pm

I did buy a can of jackfruit from Asda several months ago, but I haven't got around to using it yet.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:38 pm

I agree with Suelle in that adopting a vegan diet requires quite a bit of nutritional education, as we've said before. I don't think you can approach it as just substituting ingredients and sticking to traditional meals. I read quite a few recipes which do not replace traditional meals nutritionally.

However, by planning and calculating the nutritional value of all the meals in a day it can somehow add up satisfactorily, especially if you know the quantities of, say, protein, you need in a day. After all, many omnivores just have fruit or a salad for lunch. I am pretty sure that a number of people do not have this knowledge though. It really is something that TV programmes could address.

I've had Jackfruit as a fruit and as 'pulled pork'. It works for texture but the sauce I was served was vile.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:57 pm

I tasted it for the first time in Mexico city. Fresh. An intriguing flavour and an interesting texture.

Postby Seatallan » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:59 pm

When we still lived in Reading, there was a fabulous ethnic greengrocers close to where I used to work. They sometimes had (fresh) jackfruit and I rather liked it. I used to really enjoy have a good look at what was on offer and never could resist trying things I'd never seen before (breadfruit was another example).
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Amyw » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:07 pm

I love shops that sell unusual ingredients to try . We’re lucky to live in such a multicultural food world these days

Postby mark111757 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:24 pm

The bro send me this he found in his travels

That translates in to £29 or €32 for almost a kg

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:54 pm

Demonstrates why we are all thinking of canned!

Doubtless you can usually get fresh jack fruit in Chinatown, if you know where to look - fresh prepared Thai jackfruit flesh is advertised at £6.99 per 250g pack, but I suspect not available due to Covid at the moment

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:34 pm

I bought some pulled jackfruit from the RTC section a while ago, just to try it.
It was in a barbecue sauce and although it wasn't really really awful it was very sweet for a main course.
Probably won't bother buying it in that format again.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:26 am

I found tinned Jack fruit on the shelf at Tesco this morning

Postby Seatallan » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:52 pm

I don't think Penrith is yet ready for Jackfruit unfortunately... :)
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby scullion » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:28 pm

WWordsworth wrote:I bought some pulled jackfruit from the RTC section a while ago, just to try it.
It was in a barbecue sauce and although it wasn't really really awful it was very sweet for a main course.
Probably won't bother buying it in that format again.

i did the same a year or two ago (make that two or three - i've accidentally wiped last year from my memory).
i wouldn't have bought it at full price it would have been an expensive meal that would still need a protein addition - and the sauce was very sweet.
i have had a couple of tins in the cupboard, for some time, that i haven't got round to using yet, too.

i found, a couple of years ago, that it can be bought fresh by the kilo from that 'south american river company'.
not sure i fancied buying it like that.
now, you can buy a whole one via them. 14 kg, £148.50 - free delivery (i would hope so at that price) - any takers?

Postby Renee » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:14 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:I found tinned Jack fruit on the shelf at Tesco this morning

What are you going to do with yours Pat? I haven't decided yet what to do with mine!

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:36 pm

Renee wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:I found tinned Jack fruit on the shelf at Tesco this morning

What are you going to do with yours Pat? I haven't decided yet what to do with mine!

I didn't buy it Renee ... I was a bit put off by others who have already tried it. However, in the interests of Science, if it's there when I next go shopping I will buy a can ..(iirc I think it was over £2 a tin)

Postby Pampy » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:56 am

Waitrose do a jackfruit biryani ready meal.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:11 pm

I hope it's better than their Jackfruit with BBQ sauce which I couldn't finish as it was so vile.

I do find it annoying that many ready meals (and many recipe suggestions) take the easy option and just blast blander meat alternatives with curry spices and hot sauces and charge the earth.

Postby Amyw » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:09 pm

I find most shop bought things with BBQ sauce in are awful , really sweet and full of additives .

Postby Suelle » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:19 pm

I noticed Aldi had tins of 'young' jackfruit for 99p - it was in their central bins for 'specials' not on the shelves.

If you add natural jackfruit to one of your usual vegetarian dishes, it's a better test of whether you'll like it than buying it in a manufactured sauce. I added it to a chilli sauce, using beans for a source of protein.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox