Register

M&S raw turkey crown - do not reheat instruction?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: M&S raw turkey crown - do not reheat instruction?

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:58 am

I´ve got no problem with correct labelling and instructions. That´s how it should be; although I sometimes think they go over the top. I bought a packet of peanuts the other day and the packet said " WARNING: contains nuts"
Is that really necessary?
I also wonder, out loud, how many people actually READ the instructions/calorie count/ingredients/ nutritional information.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:01 am

Those who need to certainly do read them and I would always support campaigns for improved food labelling. DD's ex was allergic to nuts. I am interested to see what spices are in things and also the calorie count and sometimes % of meat or sodium for instance. I tend not to read cooking instructions until I am going to cook something - most annoying when you discover what you thought was a microwave dish needs thawing and cooking in the oven (I have been known to microwave and use my trusty food thermometer). Of course, I am not an expert but feel I know enough about food safety and hygiene to take reasonable risks (such as thoroughly reheating sliced turkey and checking the temperature before serving).

Postby Suffs » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:30 am

karadekoolaid wrote:I´ve got no problem with correct labelling and instructions. That´s how it should be; although I sometimes think they go over the top. I bought a packet of peanuts the other day and the packet said " WARNING: contains nuts"
I also wonder, out loud, how many people actually READ the instructions/calorie count/ingredients/ nutritional information.

But of course, that pack didn’t really contain nuts did it? It contained pulses ...

Postby aero280 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:44 am

Safety warnings can go far beyond common sense, but manufacturers have to cover themselves because the law allows people without common sense to use things.

A friend bought a brand new motorbike. One third of the owners handbook was safety instructions and warnings! It even included one saying “Do not smoke when wearing a safety helmet”! :o

You even have to change wording as fashions change. There is a growing number of young people who don’t recognise terms like “clockwise”, etc.

Postby smitch » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:54 am

In the UK/EU, it is the law to list common allergens on the label. As Suffs pointed out, peanuts are not nuts so the warning would be needed for those with a tree nut allergy.

It might seem obvious to people and something to joke about, but allergies can kill and the clearer the warnings the better. If I’m in a busy supermarket, it is much easier to check through the ingredients list for the stuff in bold text and then I know if I can have it or not.

Too many places don’t take allergies seriously enough. Mine isn’t anaphylactic but I’ve had some terrible experiences whilst eating out; many places are breaking the law by not having allergen information available for customers. One place even told me to lie about my allergy as it ‘caused trouble for kitchen staff’.

I’ll get off my soapbox now but I really hope the EU rules about allergen labelling are not abandoned after Brexit.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:45 pm

smitch wrote: I’ll get off my soapbox now but I really hope the EU rules about allergen labelling are not abandoned after Brexit.

Gosh, me too. Once you have had someone close to you with an allergy it really brings it home. DD's man would only eat at chain restaurants where ingredients were fairly reliable. No cakes, pastries or bread from areas with shared tongs, nothing from anywhere where there might have been a shared conveyor belt - and no surreptitious nut items when DD and I were out alone as she might give him a kiss when she got home. His reaction wasn't as bad as some people's either. I was quite concerned at the start of the Vegan craze that so many traditional ingredients were being swapped for nut based items, not always clearly labelled in small shops. A minefield.

Postby Suffs » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:53 pm

A child I knew had anaphylaxis when someone sitting six rows away from him in the cinema had some peanuts. He was on the autistic spectrum, had a degree of learning difficulty and also had a number of severe allergies ... a minefield.
Last edited by Suffs on Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:55 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:I´ve got no problem with correct labelling and instructions. That´s how it should be; although I sometimes think they go over the top. I bought a packet of peanuts the other day and the packet said " WARNING: contains nuts"

The point is that if you really need to know if a product contains nuts/ milk / eggs / gluten it’s much easier and safer if the reverse is true.
If it doesn’t have the warning label it should be safe for the allergy sufferer. If it’s entirely consistent, it’s much easier to be safe.

Postby Pampy » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:44 pm

smitch wrote:I’ll get off my soapbox now but I really hope the EU rules about allergen labelling are not abandoned after Brexit.

You're not on a soapbox - you're spot on!
A girl who lives not too far from me died because a takeaway restaurant took no notice of her instructions when she ordered from them. Both the manager and owner were jailed, although I think the owner was released after an appeal.
I have prescription sleeping tablets which warn that they may make me drowsy. I'd be bl**dy annoyed if they didn't!

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:04 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:
smitch wrote: I’ll get off my soapbox now but I really hope the EU rules about allergen labelling are not abandoned after Brexit.

Gosh, me too.

Thirded!!

It's actually something I've genuinely been concerned about with the promised bonfire of (some) regulations.
That along with eating hormone-treated etc US imports that aren't adequately labelled.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:24 pm

But of course, that pack didn’t really contain nuts did it? It contained pulses

Precisely, Suffs... and I bet if you asked 20 people in Sainsbury´s what a peanut was, they´d say it was a nut, not a pulse. 8-)

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:33 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:

Precisely, Suffs... and I bet if you asked 20 people in Sainsbury´s what a peanut was, they´d say it was a nut, not a pulse. 8-)

Which is all vey clever but ignores that people with tree nut (botanical nut allergy) almost invariably cross react with peanuts, and for clinical purposes peanuts always "count"

Postby Suffs » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:53 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:

But they may well have been prepared in a factory which also contains nuts, so the warning is appropriate ... even for, or perhaps especially for, those people who know that peanuts are a pulse, but who have a nut allergy.

Postby jeral » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:38 pm

It's becoming more important that adequate detail is given as more people are becoming intolerant or allergic now. Or simply being ill from bad storage/cooking or assuming that processed food lasts for ages because it's sealed, which it certainly doesn't.

The tricky thing is that the more info that's crammed onto a label in ever smaller print, the less likely it is that any of it will be read, which karadekoolaid touched on.

It's crazy that there's no rule on font size or contrasting colour for legibility, despite that maybe a huge 30-40% of available space is devoted to the tempting picture. Though, as said, that allergens are in bold print is welcome.

Postby Grasshopper » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:36 am

Re. reheating meat:

Unless it is to be eaten cold, meat should ALWAYS be heated until piping hot.
When we had pork for Xmas Dinner, there was a large chunk of the meat left. This was wrapped in foil and put in the fridge, which is nice & cold.
We had it cut up and thoroughly reheated with some egg fried rice the next day - yum! :yum
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby Lokelani » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:22 pm

It's amazing how we all suddenly hit an age where we realise the problem with small print... Yes I have recently needed reading glasses! Drives me mad how small use by dates & cooking instructions can be.
I either need very bright light or a tiny bit of magnification....

Nothing useful back from Ocado yet, they are waiting to hear back from M&S. The helpline doesn't actually get put through to anyone at M&S, although perhaps that will change tomorrow when I try.

As has been posted on here, they have recipes for re-heated turkey, so it's going to be interesting to hear them justify it.

I still hope it's more than just - people can't be trusted to chill down quickly & reheat to piping hot. We'll see. I will post if anything useful comes to light.

Postby halfateabag » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:49 pm

OH had prepacked (with butter) kippers for brekkie on Crimbo day, he ate half and the rest went back in the fridge (the pack said once cooked, do not reheat) I did reheat them, he ate them with no ill effects and he is still alive and kicking today. I do agree that the manufacturers are covering their backs but it could also be a way of asking us to buy more of the product. I just try and use my intuition.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:42 pm

If you buy a turkey crown from a butcher it comes wrapped in a piece of blank white paper

If you are my MiL you get the butcher to scribble the cooking time & temp on a corner

That's it for most people

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox