Register

Christmas recipes foods, and cooking ideas

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Christmas recipes foods, and cooking ideas

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:40 pm

Hope you all had a wonderful time over Xmas!

Custom over here is that Christmas is celebrated on the 24th, so we were invited to my BILs for dinner.
Hallacas (a somewhat complicated tamale wrapped in plantain leaves), pan de jamón (ham bread) ensalada de gallina (a version of Russian salad with chicken) and roast pork.
Yesterday was "total chill out" day, but I had managed to grab the last packet of smoked salmon in the supermarket, so I made this:
Smoked salmon baguette.JPG
Smoked salmon baguette.JPG (11.17 KiB) Viewed 3188 times

Toasted baguette, slathered with cream cheese, smoked salmon, capers and a poached egg. Neat little breakfast!

Postby jeral » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:18 pm

A bit out of sync time-wise here. I made a flavoured cream cheese (fresh ginger & basil, salt and black pepper), tiny broc florets , fillet & smoked salmon, in pastry with that striped crossover top, double egg washed plus sesame seeds and nigella seed on top - and even dragged myself into the 20th Century and took a photo of it. Intended for 24th but too late, so ate yesterday with roast squash and vine balsamic toms and mild mustard cream sauce.

Missed out on the trimmings, so roast spuds, stuffing, YP with veg & mushroom infill plus gravy of course for tea. Toasted rolls with brie and a cucumber jelly I made for brunch.

Hope everyone had a good day and is still enjoying some festive cheer :wino

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:05 pm

I made a salmon en croute for Christmas dinner, salmon fillet smothered in a dressing of sweated leek, whole grain mustard, a splash of cream, and pink pepper. wrapped in bought puff pastry
Served with asparagus (Mexican, out of season, but hey, it's Christmas) and brussels sprouts

Had one of my rolls halved and each piece topped with smoked salmon and a poached egg for brunch after my walk today

Need to decide what to have with the rest of the croute tonight, have loads of veg just need to think of something

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:09 pm

Looks great, Sue! :yum

Postby Amyw » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:23 pm

Salmon en croute looks lovely Sue , will have to give it a go as never made one

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:28 pm

I followed instructions on the Jus-rol web site, for timing and a video there that showed you how to get the neat cuts into the top. which I couldn't have done without it

Top tip (I think Mary Berry's) - if using pastry that's been frozen; as you unroll it, lightly dust the newly exposed surface with a touch of flour, or it will be wet enough to stick to itself

Postby Binky » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:20 pm

This is what OH cooked yesterday for Xmas lunch. The table doesn't have our usual decorations of crackers, tinsel etc. but Oh was busy enough with the lunch. Roast beef from a local butcher and a local pudding, no photo but part of the East Anglia Foods network (Lilies Pudding).

Postby Amyw » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:09 pm

Thanks Sue...Binky your house looks lovely and cosy

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:32 pm

88670C41-D304-45BF-9677-B07506164C16.jpeg
88670C41-D304-45BF-9677-B07506164C16.jpeg (93.74 KiB) Viewed 3097 times

Merry Christmas!

Lots of leftovers for us today. Including Boxing Day bubble and squeak with cranberry sauce, hot sauce and cheese. So weird but so good.

Enjoy the rest of the festive period, everyone.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:21 am

Binky, that looks absolutely lovely.

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:37 am

Everything looks wonderful!

KDKA - I just looked for hallacas - what a dish! Super-tmales! :ugeek:

For anyone interested - take a look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyrQXY9W4R8

Postby Pampy » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:08 am

That looks smashing Binky - what a fantastic job your OH has done! The candle/flower centrepiece is lovely.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:55 am

That's a great video (3), thanks Zero.
I'd love to be able to try the hallacas one day.
Well done snaffling the last salmon, Clive. Your breakfast is just what I'd love to eat.

Pat your OH on the back, Binky. The table is lovely, and he's done wonderfully well cooking.

Nice one, OMCO. That's a perfect egg I see too.

Lovely salmon, Sue and Jeral. I too like leek in a salmon en croute. It's a lovely pairing.
mild mustard cream sauce

I make mine with just shallot mustard and cream. How do you do yours?

Boxing Day pickles was basic in our house. Although Tony loves it. He has an array of jars, that I don't bother with. Just mayo on my plate.
But I can eat boiled eggs every day, so I'm happy. I am under instructions to make boiled eggs very very hard, but they're fine. Lemon on the boiled potatoes, basil on the tomatoes.
We bought poppers and a couple of indoor fireworks, as an alternative to crackers.

Image Image

I'm going to have to rename my new Stoves fridge "The Cheese Fridge".
There's only one camembert in there in a tupperware, but it makes its presence known every time I open the door.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:10 pm

Everyone's special Christmas food looks lovely and your table so pretty and welcoming, Binky.

We stayed very traditional with a chicken roast with lots of lemon, my mother's stuffing recipe plus some separate Paxo balls for DD (would happily give them a miss!), bread sauce, assorted veg, roast potatoes, pigs in blankets (I gave in and bought some ready made. I prefer sausages and bacon rolls cooked individually) and very good gravy made from stock made in the slow cooker from cheap chicken wings. It was just me and DD and neither of us had had a roast in living memory so it was a treat and a very decent chicken.

There were lots of nice leftovers for a buffet lunch with jacket potatoes yesterday. GD was particularly impressed with a bowl of crisps on offer :lol:.

Today will be stripping the chicken and getting the carcass into the slow cooker overnight for stock and maybe a refreshing bean & veg soup later in the week. I didn't think I'd bought an excessive amount of food this year but there are plenty of leftovers to make a Christmas leftovers pie and cheese, crackers and things which should mean no need to go shopping for some time. I'd like to make a few small pies and freeze them, I've never done that before, not sure whether they are best frozen cooked or uncooked. Does anyone have any hints?

Postby Amyw » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:35 pm

I would rather freeze them prior to baking , I think you get a better crispy pastry top if you cook them after freezing rather than before

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:08 pm

Thanks AmyW! Will do that.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:44 pm

Yesterday was pretty typical for boxing day food-wise in this house on the rare occasions we're here on our own. A brunch of bacon sandwiches with goose liver, a walk via the plot to drop of some veg peelings in the daleks and pick up a romanesco, then home for HM mince pies. Cold goose, stuffing ball, bubble & squeak, HM coleslaw and pickles for tea, Christmas pud for afters. We love all sorts of pickles, have got a large variety of HM stuff, plus those we buy and of course, presents we receive.

The goose was halved before Christmas as it was only for us, the roasted half has been stripped and the bones pressure cooked. The stock will be used in a cassoulet next week, with the last bits of the goose plus some smoked sausage and bacon bits. :yum

Postby dennispc » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:27 pm

Cutting a long story short we had a turkey cushion. Butcher does chicken cushions all year and did this one just for us. It's all dark meat, thigh and leg, beautifully succulent.

parcel.JPG

Postby Busybee » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:09 pm

Ooh, I love a chicken cushion, I imagine a turkey one would be delicious.

It’s funny but I haven’t seen a chicken cushion since we moved back here, maybe it’s a local thing? Plenty in greater Manchester but none in our part of North Yorkshire.

Just cooking a turkey curry. Probably enough left for another main meal tomorrow then it’s just the ham to go at.

Should be about 24/25 portions in total. Very good for a little over 5kg bird.

BB

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:42 pm

I had never heard of a chicken of turkey cushion before so have just spent an interesting time on the internet. It looks delicious!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox