Register

TV and Online Cooking Shows

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: TV and Online Cooking Shows

Postby jeral » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:04 pm

Why add sugar? Yeast works without it. I don't get sweetness in ordinary bread. That taste choice I guess.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:43 pm

I have found that a small amount of brown sugar or even treacle in some in many wholemeal recipe improves both colour and flavour

And if I’m making a new recipe I tend to follow it as written the first time, so if it says sugar or honey I’ll put it in

Postby jeral » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:01 pm

Using dark brown sugar in wholemeal could be worth me having a go at, if you'll forgive my reluctant enthusiasm. I might be pleasantly surprised :)

Flavorful origins

Postby mark111757 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:04 pm

Series 3 on Netflix, and because it is Netflix, you'd mileage may very. Its also available thru the down load circuit.

Homepage .....https://www.netflix.com/title/80991060? ... ntent=true

Keeping Britain fee

Postby mark111757 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:18 pm

Homepage.......https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000k4cg

On the iPlayer and through the download circuit

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:55 pm

I've posted about my dough whisk on the gadget thread, very pleased with it, good old Nigella

Here's viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4444&p=108913#p108913

Sugar Rush Christmas

Postby mark111757 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:28 pm

Homepage......https://www.netflix.com/title/81094391

Remember as this is Netflix, different areas may show different stuff and as a result your mileage may vary. This might be from Australian TV.

Christmas time telly

Postby mark111757 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:06 pm

Now that thanksgiving is past, seems like it is time for Xmas cooking shows...

Nadiya Hussain...,. A two part series as she travels the US

Jamie Oliver-keep cooking at Christmas, Sunday st 800pm London time on channel 4.
more info as it becomes available

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:14 pm

jeral wrote:Why add sugar? Yeast works without it. I don't get sweetness in ordinary bread. That taste choice I guess.

I agree. Long ongoing debate/argument. Professional bakers don't do it. My theory is that it seems to be a step added in to recipes for home yeast baking to literally prove quite quickly whether the yeast is still ok. Flavourwise I've never understood why the recipe writer would want to add the sweetened yeast to a non sweet bread recipe, tho.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:39 pm

Surely the yeast ferments the sugar, so unless added in significant excess, it isn't sugar in the final bread. It's just faster than fermenting flour, and so can make bread more quickly, just as commercial yeasts work more quickly than wild ones.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:42 pm

i don't see why it has to be one rule - always add sugar or never add sugar
As I said previously, it can vary from recipe to recipe, and many use forms of sugar such as honey or treacle that has a flavour in addition to the sweetness and ability to kick start yeast, if it needs it

I suspect that the old style granular dried yeast did reawaken better if given a sugar snack, fast acting is well, faster! :D

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:40 pm

I made the 'Nigella (almost) no knead' bread again today ... I used 50/50 strong white and wholewheat flour and half the salt. The loaf, after the second long prove, was almost a third as big again as the loaf I made last week . I presume because of less salt ?

Postby jeral » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:47 pm

I can't see how salt would make a difference to rise. I only say this because my dad made some bread years ago and forgot to put salt in, but it rose as well as the good much saltier bread usual at the time (it's all reduced salt now).

Apparently lots of other things can affect rise,as below, but salt is not mentioned at all...
https://www.mashed.com/150361/the-bigge ... ing-bread/

Postby jeral » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:53 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:Surely the yeast ferments the sugar, so unless added in significant excess, it isn't sugar in the final bread. It's just faster than fermenting flour, and so can make bread more quickly, just as commercial yeasts work more quickly than wild ones.

Got me to thinking, as I must confess to assuming that we'd taken on the US idea of sweetness in everything. The article I've just posted refers to sugar, saying much as you do. So, if bread tastes sweet to me, either they're deliberately adding a bit extra or my tastebuds are sensitive to it. I have no way of knowing which.

One spanner in the works is that I eat bread dry, no spread or butter, which no doubt hides a multiple of taste sins like that weird taste (soya flour?).

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:56 pm

jeral, I would really miss not being able to eat butter, although it probably wouldn't do me any harm! Do you have a specific intolerance, or do you have to avoid all dairy?

Postby Amyw » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:02 pm

I dislike spread and butter on bread which is a shame as I can't have most of shop bought ssndwiches. Saying that looking at most of the offerings ,that's probably a good thing

Postby jeral » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:25 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:jeral, I would really miss not being able to eat butter, although it probably wouldn't do me any harm! Do you have a specific intolerance, or do you have to avoid all dairy?

It's the milk proteins I can't digest so cause me racking stomach pain (the doubled over sort) until sicked up sooner or later depending on amount and irrespective of whatever food they're extracted and put into.

UHT dairy is usually OK for me as is lactose; cheese is a yes or no depending. It took me years to unravel the confusing "Why some things yet not others?" Apparently UHT denatures proteins. I feel for those who try lactose-free products to no effect, not knowing it's not a lactose problem.

Apols this is me me me, so please be as you were :)

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:00 pm

I can't have butter at the moment as it is one of those things that tastes wrong to me currently (I assume this will go)
I've got some "Pure" vegan spread, which tastes perfectly normal but I don't like it! It's just a lubricant for things like Marmite that need it, getting through it very slowly though which is probably good for my waistline. Using a smidge of mayo or ketchup as a lubricant for some topping.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:20 pm

Goodness, jeral, that must make eating out a real lottery - it must be almost impossible to be 100% sure that dishes are going to be ok for you. I can't imagine the trials and errors while you were trying to work it out!

Sue, it must be frustrating how things are normalising for you ingredient by ingredient. I have a feeling you mentioned on another thread that your taste buds were reacting quite differently to cold and hot meat.

Have you heard/read reports of people who use their taste buds/ sense of smell for a living? What a nightmare.

Postby jeral » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:50 pm

KeenCook2, please don't worry. Anyone with an intolerance or allergy (mine from birth) is accustomed to living with it. Newer allergies as a concept (more people now intolerant to things) is far more worrying about food production I reckon given how food is messed about with now.

Without getting on a soap box, if I could eat butter, I would rather than dubious spreads (which I've never eaten as it psychologically reminds me of butter's pain for me).

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff