Register

Waffle makers?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Waffle makers?

Postby Rainbow » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:25 am

Gillthepainter wrote:
That was what I call a success. They are almost as light as a souffle, as you fold in egg whites.
I followed this recipe, halved makes 6, for no reason other than it came up in a search: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/plain-waffles
Baked takes longer = 15mins

I've had them for breakfast with fruit. Delightful.

I looked up that recipe but the comments about it put me off trying it! The batter is too thin and they taste very eggy - was that your experience? or did you tweak the recipe. They look good in your photo!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:46 am

I'm still dithering about the waffle maker, as I don't want a sandwich toaster affair. I've always found them leaky and messy, even with removeable plates.
So I want something that keeps clean.

Rainbow, regarding the reviews, or that one in particular, I think they didn't bother to separate and whisk the egg whites is my guess. If you fill in your own narrative, I think they put everything into one bowl at once.
If you do whisk the whites, you will get that lighter result.

My tip, I always whisk egg whites with a balloon whisk, not my electric beaters.
It came from Nick Nairn at the NEC food show when making souffles. It stops them collapsing after you take them out of the oven.

Regarding too wet a mix, I used 150g milk for half the recipe, and it was right.

I do plan on using other recipes, I don't think I've found the perfect one.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:20 pm

Enough waffling, I've order my waffle maker for a Christmas present from Tony.
I went for the Duronic, as it has excellent reviews, and it's 1200 watt - which should equate to powerful cooking & browning of the waffles.
Removable plates too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08 ... UTF8&psc=1

Does anyone have a tried waffle recipe please?

And would someone like to experiment with a silicone waffle tray out of interest - I can post it out if anyone fancies a dabble.
PM me if you're curious, I've used it just the once.

Postby smitch » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:31 pm

Gill, I use this recipe https://www.food.com/recipe/the-best-belgian-waffles-63071

I half it and also cut down on the sugar. I like to add berries to the batter and sometimes also put in some cinnamon or cardamom.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:39 pm

That looks excellent - terrific reviews. Thanks Smitch.

Postby slimpersoninside » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:54 pm

Probably obvious but I'll say it anyway :lol: , I use spray light to oil the plates :thumbsup .

Postby smitch » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:33 pm

So do I, much easier

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:37 pm

That loks good Gill

As does smitch's recipe, though I was slightly amused that the "metric" version was a literal translation of the volumes, measureing flour and baking powder in ml to 3 decimal points

Postby herbidacious » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:57 pm

I can't find a single waffle/toasted sandwich maker that doesn't have complaints about hinges breaking or non-stick surface coming off.

They seeem to have stopped making the Tefal Multi-Function Sandwich and Snack Maker.

Pity.

Postby Rainbow » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:31 am

Stokey Sue wrote:That loks good Gill

As does smitch's recipe, though I was slightly amused that the "metric" version was a literal translation of the volumes, measureing flour and baking powder in ml to 3 decimal points

Yes, that amused me too. Not very helpful as it's still in volume measurements - no weights mentioned at all ;)

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:57 am

Surely grams and ml are interchangeable?
I only learned the other day, when faced with not being able to visualise 15ml of flour (on the NHS calorie counter app) and looking it up that it meant a tablespoon when using measuring spoons. I had no idea.

The literal translation of the recipe is still funny of course!

I must dig out my cheese & potato waffle recipe.

Postby Pampy » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:18 am

Earthmaiden wrote:I only learned the other day, when faced with not being able to visualise 15ml of flour (on the NHS calorie counter app) and looking it up that it meant a tablespoon when using measuring spoons. I had no idea.
I must dig out my cheese & potato waffle recipe.

A teaspoon is 5ml.
The cheese and potato recipe sounds good - would you mind sharing it please?

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:35 am

Earthmaiden wrote:Surely grams and ml are interchangeable?

Only with water (and similar substances like milk, juice, wine)

But 100ml of flour is approximately 50g

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:58 am

Is that cheese and potato within the batter mix?

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:09 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Only with water (and similar substances like milk, juice, wine)

I didn't know that. I have just weighed a satsuma and a bag of flour on my scales in ml and grams and both showed the same figures in ml and g. It does seem as though ml are creeping in as measurements for dry goods, possibly because in the USA they are used to using a vessel to measure out both. It all seems to add to the British confusion over cups, avoirdupois and metric :roll:.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:54 pm

Re potato waffles. My waffle maker came with a recipe booklet which was handy as I hadn't had waffles before so didn't know much about them. There was a recipe for potato waffles which I thought made nicer, lighter waffles. Annoyingly, the recipes don't state the number of waffles each mixture makes but I find 1/4 or 1/3 of the recipe very generous for just me. I know many will be shocked, but I find made-up Smash works perfectly well if you haven't any left over mashed potato.

I have tried using banana successfully too (see bottom of recipe). My booklet also has options with chocolate chips, corn flakes or peanut butter and mixtures for gingerbread, chocolate brownies, cornbread waffles. I have not tried these but would be happy to share recipes.

This is the full recipe (and in brackets the amount I use just for me). With regard to cheese, I just throw grated cheddar in at the end of mixing, one or two handfuls. Not too much or it will change the consistency of the waffle too much when melted, I think it is delicious! You can add other flavourings too (chilli, garlic powder etc) once you start experimenting!

225g plain flour - I use SR. (56g)
1tbsp baking powder (1/2 tsp with SR)
250g mashed potato (60g)
200ml milk plus extra if needed (50ml)
50g melted butter (12g)
6 eggs (2 eggs)
salt
grated cheese (optional)

Preheat the waffle maker. Spray with oil
Mix flour & baking powder in a bowl.
Mix mashed potato, milk and butter with a good pinch of salt together in a separate bowl (I use a balloon whisk)and fold in the flour mixture.
Separate the eggs. The recipe does not mention egg yolks but I always add them to the potato/milk mix. If you are going to add cheese add it at this point as well.
Whisk the egg whites into soft peaks and fold them into the mixture.
Make waffles in usual way. It suggests 4-5 mins in my waffle maker but they will differ.

I have also tried sweet ones using mashed banana in place of potato, walnut oil instead of butter and some vanilla which I served with maple syrup so didn't add any sugar. It worked well.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:18 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:
Stokey Sue wrote:Only with water (and similar substances like milk, juice, wine)

I didn't know that. I have just weighed a satsuma and a bag of flour on my scales in ml and grams and both showed the same figures in ml and g. It does seem as though ml are creeping in as measurements for dry goods, possibly because in the USA they are used to using a vessel to measure out both. It all seems to add to the British confusion over cups, avoirdupois and metric :roll:.

If you read the instructions for the scales it will say that the ml setting is for liquids, it’s a particularly stupid gimmick
When I make bread I weigh the liquid in g (mine don’t have a ml setting), as many professional bakers do

If you want a better demo get two identical tea cups or mugs, fill on with flour and one with water and weigh them, there should be a very definite difference

Postby scullion » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:27 pm

one of the versions of the bruce bogtrotter cakes had a ml measurement for the flour content - i wondered why they'd bothered (unless for the purpose of making it their own recipe) changing it to that from tablespoons. the only thing that that would indicate is that they weren't heaped tablespoons - which wouldn't matter anyway; the first time i made the cake i thought the measurement was wrong and put a couple more (heaped) tablespoons of flour in. it still came out brilliant.
maybe the rest of the world should send aid to america so they could all buy a set of metric scales.

Postby Pampy » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:40 pm

Thanks EM - sounds lovely!

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:54 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:If you read the instructions for the scales it will say that the ml setting is for liquids, it’s a particularly stupid gimmick
When I make bread I weigh the liquid in g (mine don’t have a ml setting), as many professional bakers do
If you want a better demo get two identical tea cups or mugs, fill on with flour and one with water and weigh them, there should be a very definite difference

I would expect that! It wouldn't really matter if you weighed in ml or g though would it? It was your comment that 100ml of flour = 50g which confused me. I think most people are more comfortable with g for dry goods and ml for liquid and I was annoyed with the NHS website for measuring the calories in flour in ml. I suspect that the USA has started using metric to 'help' the rest of the world who don't use cups and have decided on ml for everything just to annoy everyone. I blame Trump.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox