Register

What are you baking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What are you baking this week?

Postby aero280 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:14 pm

The pasties mentioned way up the thread were to my mother's recipe. With hindsight, I think it is more of an aide memoire. There's no cooking time, and no oven heat; but that's understandable as she was brought up with a coal fired oven, so she would have cooked "by eye". I think that omitting the milk brushing led to them being over baked.

I did another batch with the gluten free pastry that I bought by mistake. The pastry was horrid. Very hard. But because of the warning about overdoing the pasty I took them out early and they were fairly moist inside. I suppose that practice makes perfect. So, another go soon! :)

Postby aero280 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:19 pm

And one more...

Not my work, but our future granddaughter-in-law has just posted a picture of her latest offering. I daren't do something like that for just the two of us.

Jammy Dodger Blondie! :)
https://www.janespatisserie.com/2020/06 ... r-blondies

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 17.05.38.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 17.05.38.png (318.45 KiB) Viewed 4152 times

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:39 pm

A work of art! I find the modern trend of decorating cake with biscuits quite odd and am not keen - but I'm just a boring old stick-in-the-mud. I haven't seen them actually baked in the cake before!

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:20 pm

Gosh, aero, what a talented young lady your granddaughter-in-law to be is!

I can't say I'd like to eat them, I'm actually not crazy about jammie dodgers as they kind of stick in my teeth (apart from being rather sweet, which they're obviously meant to be :lol: ) but I'm sure there are lots of people out there who would be overjoyed at the chance to devour them in a blondie!

Postby aero280 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:42 pm

DiL on the other side of the family reckons that her kids would love that bake. Maybe it's an age thing! :)

Postby scullion » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:11 pm

aero280 wrote:The pasties mentioned way up the thread were to my mother's recipe. With hindsight, I think it is more of an aide memoire. There's no cooking time, and no oven heat; but that's understandable as she was brought up with a coal fired oven, so she would have cooked "by eye". I think that omitting the milk brushing led to them being over baked.

i think you're right that it was an aide memoire. try using the recipe from ann's pasties that i linked to on the pasty pastry thread. her pastys are pretty fine. you can also see how different her filling quantities are from your mother's.
i don't think the lack of milk would cause overbaking. any residual moisture from the milk would have evaporated pretty quick when put in a hot oven. it's there for glazing.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:58 pm

I have half a dozen wholemeal rolls in the oven at the moment.
Never had much success with rolls, fingers are crossed.

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:20 pm

Was just looking at that pasty recipe yesterday Scullion. It's either going to be that or Felicity Cloake's perfect Meat and Potato pies.. I'll use all butter or butter instead of suet. Anyone made either?

Why no success with rolls WW? How did these turn out?

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:24 pm

Bread rolls seem to be ok.
Too much faff with resizing to add a photo.

Postby jeral » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:04 pm

I did a snap with aero280 by baking some Jus-Rol croissants and forgetting to glaze them, getting carried away by their being instant/convenient and forgetting to engage brain. Applying an egg/milk wash for the reheat might help.

Also, maybe I should have rolled or stretched the dough a bit more (before chilling) as the texture wasn't as light as it should be. (Not butter ones, which might have a bearing; I can't eat those.)

Postby jeral » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:05 pm

Talking of glazing, how do people finish the tops of their bread rolls? Ta.

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:33 pm

I made a crystallised honey cake from a recipe I picked up somewhere, possibly on here :?: .

We'll eat it but it's not a keeper. It uses wholemeal flour with 1tsp of baking powder, if I were to do it again I'd swap some w'meal with white S/R but I can't see that happening!

Not worthy of a photo.

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:20 pm

jeral wrote:Talking of glazing, how do people finish the tops of their bread rolls? Ta.

Usually none. When I do - for something like brioche rolls I use egg wash for a dark finish. I use slightly beaten egg whites for just a shine.

Most all -wholemeal cakes are quite dense, Slimper. Though I do do a carrot cake and sub wholemeal on occasion, which works well.

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:32 pm

ZeroCook wrote:Most all -wholemeal cakes are quite dense, Slimper. Though I do do a carrot cake and sub wholemeal on occasion, which works well.

Cheers Zero. My first wholemeal cake, don't expect I'll do another :lol: .

Postby aero280 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:09 pm

I have a wholemeal soughdough loaf in the oven at the moment.

But, back to the pasties. I think I overcooked the first lot because, missing out the milk glaze, and not realising it until too late, I was waiting for them to darken a lot more.

I'll have a look at the alternative recipes. Thanks!

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:30 pm

Wholemeal loaf and a batch of biscuits today.

Postby jeral » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:54 pm

aero280 wrote:...
But, back to the pasties. I think I overcooked the first lot because, missing out the milk glaze, and not realising it until too late, I was waiting for them to darken a lot more.

I'll have a look at the alternative recipes. Thanks!

At the back of my mind, I remember my Cornish ex MIL used to add water, just a teaspoon or three sprinkled on the filling of the big ones she'd make, which weren't dry nor the pastry soggy. Do any of our Pasty Pros do that?

She used white turnip incidentally, chipped, same as the potato and meat, each remaining distinct rather than a mush, so maybe any moisture that drained out of the bits didn't soak back in again?

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:10 am

I am not baking this this week but would like to know what others think. It's a recipe for a fat free 'Christmas' cake which uses a lot of fruit and polenta instead of flour. The recipe was on an email from the British Heart Foundation. I suppose it's a polenta teabread really. I'd like to try making the individual versions but don't want to waste ingredients. What do you think? It looks as though you'd need to freeze if not eaten quickly.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsuppo ... 8-15873889

Postby Suelle » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:50 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I am not baking this this week but would like to know what others think. It's a recipe for a fat free 'Christmas' cake which uses a lot of fruit and polenta instead of flour. The recipe was on an email from the British Heart Foundation. I suppose it's a polenta teabread really. I'd like to try making the individual versions but don't want to waste ingredients. What do you think? It looks as though you'd need to freeze if not eaten quickly.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsuppo ... 8-15873889

I've tried a cake from BBC Good Food which is basically the same recipe tweaked a little (or BHF did the tweaking to cut out the nuts!). Here's my review of it: https://mainlybaking.blogspot.com/2016/ ... -loaf.html

I liked it. For a 'no refined sugar added' and almost fat-free cake it was quite tasty, and certainly sweet enough, unlike many low sugar cakes.

Don't you want to spoil yourself at Christmas though, rather than feel virtuous when you eat cake? ;)
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:17 pm

That looks like a nice recipe, EM. I'd be tempted just to use whole eggs, given that we're not worried about eating the yolks. I don't know whether it would make much difference. Must look at Suelle's recipe.
When OH was on his diabetic scare last year we read that dates were a no-no, so even though it seems to have blown over I've not used them at all since then. Not sure if I wouldn't just use more mixed fruit instead.
Ah, just read your comments, Suelle, yes, nice idea to use more variation on the dried fruit, cranberries and apricots are lovely, I add my own to a bog-standard cheap mixed fruit packet.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox