Register

Sweets for Gifts

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Sweets for Gifts

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:07 pm

Sea, I've got an apple cake recipe that uses virtually a whole nutmeg :D Sounds like it would be one for you :D

Postby Pampy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:45 pm

Isn't nutmeg a hallucinogenic in large enough quantities (several grams)? And I think it can also cause nausea, blurred vision, panic attacks etc.

Postby Uschi » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:58 pm

So far Lebkuchen (gingerbread biscuits) are not infamous for their halucinogenic properties.

I have visions of youngsters dealing them: Forget Black Afghan and Red Libanese, try Nuremberg gingerbread, Aachener Printen, and Pulsnitzer Spitzkuchen instead for an all new trip ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:24 pm

Uschi wrote:So far Lebkuchen (gingerbread biscuits) are not infamous for their halucinogenic properties.

I have visions of youngsters dealing them: Forget Black Afghan and Red Libanese, try Nuremberg gingerbread, Aachener Printen, and Pulsnitzer Spitzkuchen instead for an all new trip ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Postby Seatallan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:29 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:Sea, I've got an apple cake recipe that uses virtually a whole nutmeg :D Sounds like it would be one for you :D

Sounds divine KC2! I love apple cake. :yum I like nutmeg too, though I prefer mace.

Pampy wrote:Isn't nutmeg a hallucinogenic in large enough quantities (several grams)? And I think it can also cause nausea, blurred vision, panic attacks etc.

Yes, indeed it is Pampy, but I would have thought it would be most unpleasant to ingest that much. I find nutmeg can be rather bitter if you overdo it.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:47 pm

Pampy wrote:Isn't nutmeg a hallucinogenic in large enough quantities (several grams)? And I think it can also cause nausea, blurred vision, panic attacks etc.

Yup
There are I think two recorded fatalaties in the US dating from the hippy era high school & college students tried to trip on anything from banana skins to cough medicine - I looked it up once when bored

Fortunately the human stomach is more sensible than the human mind, and tends to reject it before you get to a fatal dose

You'd need to take a far higher dose than you'd ever get from eating patisserie or confectionery to do any damage - really have to force it down

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:36 pm

Seatallan wrote:
KeenCook2 wrote:Sea, I've got an apple cake recipe that uses virtually a whole nutmeg :D Sounds like it would be one for you :D

Sounds divine KC2! I love apple cake. :yum I like nutmeg too, though I prefer mace.

Just in case you feel like trying it, here it is viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4466&p=84463&hilit=apple#p84463

I think Pat may have made it? I vaguely remember someone did!

Postby jeral » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:53 pm

So, a lot of nutmeg but just a hint of sugar and honey ;)

I think forcing the sugar down might be a bigger problem for me than the nutmeg. That said, I've just bought some Golden Syrup for Scotch pancakes, cinder toffee, flapjacks, steamed sponges, none of which I've eaten in years as too sweet.

Thought I'd revisit sweet (blame Christmas gluttony). I don't have a weight problem, so just have to ignore "wrong kind of fat" or soft organs around which it builds up.

Postby ZeroCook » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:40 am

scullion wrote:
ZeroCook wrote:Don't make what you don't like - liking something probably helps it turn out better than not.

i don't really agree with that.
if that was the case my partner would only get to eat baked beans on toast from someone else. when he wants them i make something different for me.
i have always made stuff for others (excluding fish and meat stuff) that i know they like and that i wouldn't make for myself.

my mother liked coconut ice so that's what i made for her - i think the only time i've eaten any was to check it was ok before leaving to set.

You're right of course Scullion. Was really just an off the cuff and riposte but in any case more about making sweets for people whose particular likes may not be really known. No deep truths intended.÷)

Postby jeral » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:45 am

I'd make a beeline for chocolate things on pick 'n mix counters, like brazil nuts or praline, or Turkish delight if rose water can be found. Still would if they existed :) (Nut allergies might be a caution to employ of course.)

Silicone moulds for small chocolate sweets are around, including Christmas shapes. Whether cheap or dear might or might not reflect quality, although checking the depth seems more critical to me as some seem inordinately shallow.

There are a lot of recipes out there for peppermint creams or choc-dipped mint creams (basically lightly whipped egg white, peppermint, optional food colouring, icing sugar; some add lemon juice).

However, a handy tip I saw is that once the resultant fondant is rolled out, put cling film on top and then use a pastry cutter to make small discs. Don't cut through the cling film, just squash it down which gives the discs a desirable rounded edge. Clever that.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:56 am

Good idea re the cling film. Do people still eat fondant creams? I thought they might be a bit out of vogue. I used to make them with my grandmother - flavoured with peppermint, rosewater or violet. Horribly sweet.

Postby Busybee » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:15 am

Earthmaiden wrote:Good idea re the cling film. Do people still eat fondant creams? I thought they might be a bit out of vogue. I used to make them with my grandmother - flavoured with peppermint, rosewater or violet. Horribly sweet.

I absolutely adore fondant creams, my OH always buys me a small box for Christmas and birthdays. Violet and rose are my favourites followed by peppermint - getting harder and harder to find good ones. A local shop sells handmade chocolates including fondants that you buy pic and mix style to make up a box. Alas, due to Covid they are no longer allowing the pic and mix and can only buy a pre made up box which only has one solitary fondant in it.

Prestat are the absolute best!

BB

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:42 pm

You'll have to make some BB!

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:27 pm

me too :yum :yum :yum In fact I like the dark chocolate version of most things. :oops: :roll:

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:39 pm

What are those fondant like sweets that you get in the Lake District?
I remember liking them a lot when I had them, must be 40 years ago.

Postby smitch » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:16 pm

Kendal mint cake?

Postby jeral » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:32 pm

Personally, I'm a Matchmakers mint fan, so a soft fruit fondant or cream centre isn't my first choice, excepting bittermints, although it didn't take me long to reach for another from a box of Lindt Lindor sweets I was given :oops: I'm intrigued as to why it's thought fondant creams aren't in vogue?

I do like Bounty bars. Here's a video link 5.5mins for a DIY version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsxB-gde1fU

Ingredient amounts are listed as:
Fine desicated coconut - 1.5 cups
hot heavy cream / coconut milk - 1/4 cup
condensed milk - 1/2 cup
Milk chocolate - 250 g

Being a coconut fan, I've stocked up on all things coconut for Christmas bakes, so will make these as a truffle size. Then I will try not to eat them...

Postby Seatallan » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:35 pm

[/quote]

Just in case you feel like trying it, here it is viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4466&p=84463&hilit=apple#p84463

I think Pat may have made it? I vaguely remember someone did![/quote]

Thanks KC2- that looks :yum :yum :yum :wave:

smitch wrote:Kendal mint cake?

I keep a bar in my rucksack for fell-walking emergencies.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:47 pm

I remeber my father and I having a go at "proper" findant made by boiling sugar to a specified temperature, then working it as it cools so you get the "creamy" microcrystalline structure

We concluded we were surprisingly bad at sugar chemistry as we threw away a grainy mass :lol:

There are methods around the internet for using a food processor instead of working with a scraper or palette knife as it cools, which might be worth a try

It's also good for making the glaze for things like Lebkuchen

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:52 pm

smitch wrote:Kendal mint cake?

That's it! :yum :yum

Seatallan wrote:I keep a bar in my rucksack for fell-walking emergencies.

:D :D

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox