Register

Sweets for Gifts

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Sweets for Gifts

Postby slimpersoninside » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:49 pm

ZeroCook wrote:Think you're right about the chocolate for body, Stokey.

I looked up fudge recipes and there are quite a lot for microwaving too - same sort of principle I think. Basically a sort of fudgy ganache pretty much. Not that that's a bad thing at all but real fudge is all about sugar temps and crystals and beating the mixture as it cools. Quite tricky to get just right. It's an art :D

Biscuits and cookies are always good presents . OH absolutely loves German peppernuts. Used to make loads for his fam too. Keep really well too.

I was also thinking the 'melt together and leave' fudge is probably quite nice but it's not proper fudge. The boiling and beating are what makes the right consistency.

I make fudge from time to time and often use the Ultimate Fudge Recipe from the Carnation site. One of my favourites is to add black treacle. I have other things in mind to try, can't make it too often as it's only me that eats it.

Postby scullion » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:08 pm

i'm not a great fan of fudge, i find it a bit too sweet - for a sweet - maybe it's the way it sticks to the teeth... i have a tin of roddas fudge, given when i went there for a visit, that i've only eaten a couple of lumps from. maybe i should check to see if it should be chucked.
i have a copy of this book (also available for a little less via abe)
quite a good selection of sweetshop type sweets.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:11 pm

I'd forgotten that series! Something I have never made is 'honeycomb'.

I love making biscuits but usually make shortbread type ones which have limited shelf life, especially if iced so would not give them as presents (and on this occasion want to make sweets anyway). Actually, IaninFrance's Noggins would work as a present.

Peppernuts look interesting. I'm not fond of the usual soft German spiced biscuits found at Christmas or of chewy cookies. Do they turn out soft or hard?

Am I normal to tend to only make things for people that I like myself?

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:16 pm

See my previous remark re Scan Bran Ferraro Rocher . . . .

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:20 pm

If you mention it again I'll make you some for Christmas :lol:

(to be fair, I've never actually tried it but am happy not to!)

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:29 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Uschi » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:50 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I'd forgotten that series! Something I have never made is 'honeycomb'.

I love making biscuits but usually make shortbread type ones which have limited shelf life, especially if iced so would not give them as presents (and on this occasion want to make sweets anyway). Actually, IaninFrance's Noggins would work as a present.

Peppernuts look interesting. I'm not fond of the usual soft German spiced biscuits found at Christmas or of chewy cookies. Do they turn out soft or hard?

Am I normal to tend to only make things for people that I like myself?

It depends on the maker, but they are a bit softer.

The thing is, you can add the distinctive spice mix to shortbread biscuits (mix with the flour). Add some finely chopped orange peel if you like and you'll end up with something like Spekulatius.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/lebkuchengewurz-lebkuchen-spice-mix

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:41 pm

Uschi, lovely to know what goes into Lebkuchengewuerze! Thank you for the link. I haven't got ground aniseed or ground mace but it's very tempting to try a batch of shortbread with the spices I have got!

Postby Uschi » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:01 pm

Mace and nutmeg are from the same plant. Just use some nutmeg, but less of it.

I also use this mix for cakes sometimes. In moderation it works well with apples or you can use it to flavour plum compote.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:17 pm

Mace is the orange, outer coating of the nutmeg. Slightly more delicate in flavour than the nutmeg itself.

Postby ZeroCook » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:54 am

slimpersoninside wrote: I have other things in mind to try, can't make it too often as it's only me that eats it.

You and me both, Slimpers! Mr Zero completely lacks a sweet tooth.

Uschi - interesting link. Are you making?

Earthmaiden wrote:I'm not fond of the usual soft German spiced biscuits found at Christmas or of chewy cookies. Do they turn out soft or hard?

Depends how long they're baked. Shorter = softer, longer = either chewier or harder depending on type of recipe.

Earthmaiden wrote: Am I normal to tend to only make things for people that I like myself?

Of course you're not normal. Only kidding!

Don't make what you don't like - liking something probably helps it turn out better than not.

Postby liketocook » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:38 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:
BTW- one of the recipes, which I've never tried, is for coconut roughs and is a mixture of hot mashed potato, butter, icing sugar, coconut, cocoa and vanilla. Not sure about that. Has anyone ever made anything similar?

Sounds like Scottish Macaroons - mainstay of many a bake sale in my area. They are much better than they sound.
"Bounty" balls are super easy and keep really well https://www.food.com/recipe/bounty-ball ... cat-227707 and a good one to make with children. A glace cherry or chocolate button popped in the middle is a good addition to these. If you use different chocolate to dip they look fab in a small box as a gift.

Postby scullion » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:41 pm

ZeroCook wrote:Don't make what you don't like - liking something probably helps it turn out better than not.

i don't really agree with that.
if that was the case my partner would only get to eat baked beans on toast from someone else. when he wants them i make something different for me.
i have always made stuff for others (excluding fish and meat stuff) that i know they like and that i wouldn't make for myself.

my mother liked coconut ice so that's what i made for her - i think the only time i've eaten any was to check it was ok before leaving to set.

Postby Uschi » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:21 pm

ZC, I will not make "proper" gingerbread biscuits (Lebkuchen) as they are quite different and I haven't been able to get a t. & t. recipe that will give me soft ones. In any case, Lebkuchen need a few weeks to mature properly. Very often a carrot or a small apple is added to them in their tin to give them a little moisture.

I make so many biscuits that it is difficult to experiment much.

I will, however use Lebkuchen spice mix (+ extra cinnamon) in shortbread biscuits. That usually works very well and I know exactly which consistency they will have.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:40 pm

Uschi, how many teaspoons of spice would you use for, say, 250g of flour for your shortbread?

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:57 pm

ltc - thank you. the 'Bounty balls' look quite good. I have one tin of condensed milk to use up and don't want anything more than a taste for myself but there's so much to choose from! I do quite like making coconut ice to give as it always looks colourful.

Are Lebkuchen harder biscuits before they mature? It's the softness I particularly dislike about them. Adding the spice to shortbread is probably a better idea.

Postby Uschi » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:05 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:Uschi, how many teaspoons of spice would you use for, say, 250g of flour for your shortbread?

Good question ... I don't have a fixed measure, since I use the mixes you can buy here. They are good, but each slightly different.

I think it is about 15 g for 500 g of flour and I always add the a not heaped teaspoon of cinnamon, too.

Postby Uschi » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:10 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:ltc - thank you. the 'Bounty balls' look quite good. I have one tin of condensed milk to use up and don't want anything more than a taste for myself but there's so much to choose from! I do quite like making coconut ice to give as it always looks colourful.

Are Lebkuchen harder biscuits before they mature? It's the softness I particularly dislike about them. Adding the spice to shortbread is probably a better idea.

The ones I tried came out rock-hard and took a while to mature and soften.

Postby Seatallan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:57 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:Mace is the orange, outer coating of the nutmeg. Slightly more delicate in flavour than the nutmeg itself.

And possibly my favourite spice of all time. A toss-up between Mace and Allspice. :D
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby slimpersoninside » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:02 pm

liketocook wrote:
Earthmaiden wrote:
BTW- one of the recipes, which I've never tried, is for coconut roughs and is a mixture of hot mashed potato, butter, icing sugar, coconut, cocoa and vanilla. Not sure about that. Has anyone ever made anything similar?

Sounds like Scottish Macaroons - mainstay of many a bake sale in my area. They are much better than they sound.
"Bounty" balls are super easy and keep really well https://www.food.com/recipe/bounty-ball ... cat-227707 and a good one to make with children. A glace cherry or chocolate button popped in the middle is a good addition to these. If you use different chocolate to dip they look fab in a small box as a gift.

LTC, these look great! I love dark chocolate Bounty bars but they're hard to find.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox