Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:56 pm

Some good eats being made.

The Romanesco sounded excellent KC2. Must do some roast veg soon - really love.

Love salmon Renee - nice marinade. Great idea grilling in a wotsit. We have one of those round top griller convection things. Must try

Stokey - totally into handmade pasta at the mo. Your gnocchi recioe sounds really good.

Gill - strangely was just thinking about your sauce the other night while making tartare sauce - recalled possible distant similarities- and thought I must ask you to post the recipe. Would you could you? ÷))

I tried out one of my new food toys I mean tools - the ravioli mould I acquired recently. Was a slight production but good result. Should post on the gadget thread

Pumpkin and ricotta ravioli with sage and garlic butter.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:42 pm

That looks delicious, ZC. I am not very good at making stuffed/filled things. They always seem to come unstuffed. I have a ravioli mould somewhere but it's just a bit wider than the width of pasta my pasta maker makes...

I don't know what to have for dinner. I am roasting a couple of beigniing to soprout sweet potatoes in smoked rapeseed oil and a few garlic (cloves, kind of). I might have it with some feta (which I may or not bake) and some fresh lemon or lime juice, thyme... a grind of smoked paprika too maybe. Will see. I am sort of hungry and not hungry at the same time.

The Frankfurter Green Sauce looks nice, too, Gill.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:14 am

OOF, ZC - that looks right up my street!
Sage butter goes so well with stuffed pumpkin pasta.

I made some stuffed pasta (home-made) a couple of months ago. You know, lockdown, plenty of time on your hands, etc.
Not bad, but I definitely need more practice!

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:46 pm

Asparagus risotto for us tonight.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:16 am

what brilliant looking pasta, Zero.
I still have a ravioli tray post move, in case I want to make some up. Which I know I will.

The green sauce is made with: finely chopped basil, parsley, chives, basil, chervil (if you can get it), cress, 1/2 tarragon it can overpower.
Lemon juice, creme fraiche, mayonnaise, dijon mustard
1 finely chopped boiled egg.

It's super with boiled eggs.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:25 pm

I do like the sound of the green sauce. Originally you called it Frankfurter Green Sauce. What is the relevance of Frankfurter? (I.e. sausage, city native etc!).

Lovely ravioli. I've only ever made it freehand. A tray sounds useful.
Last edited by Earthmaiden on Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby ZeroCook » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:14 am

Herbid, before I got this tray mould I think I made ravioli about twice. Ever. Partly because of unstuckness but mostly because I just couldn't get into the whole production of rolling out pasta dough by hand and I could never roll it thinly enough. I'm a lazy cook at heart! Guessing you might have a 110mm wide roller - a lot are 150mm. Could try rolling out the width to fit the mould.once the lengths are cut.

Gill - thank you! I had memories of your sauce but not enough info to piece it together. HB eggs sounds perfect!

KKDA lockdown cook time veers between oh let's just have sandwiches (again!) and oh yay the cooking toys bought online arrived and we're dining in at the River Cafe tonight :lol: :D

Postby jeral » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:57 pm

ZeroCook, I can picture Masterchef chef judges waxing lyrical about how thin your ravioli is 8-)

I bought some Polish "something" from Tesco of all places, described as "silky" - and it really was. Dunno how that ravioli is made. If I made some, it'd probably make good concrete frisbees, a bit like bought tortellini is.

On the hob today is this coconut potato soup. It's for lunch really but will nick a bit as a sauce for a fresh tuna steak I'm marinating to pan-fry, plus saute new spud slices and m/w steamed broc florets.
https://www.sprinklesandsprouts.com/spi ... tato-soup/

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:24 pm

Tonight's delight is Madhur's beef baked in yoghurt and black pepper, with rice and dhal.

Postby ZeroCook » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:43 pm

Jeral the soup looks good - hot but. How was it? Did you get Polish pierogis?

WW haven't done a Madhur for ages. - lovely dinner menu. Is the beef done like raan?

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:26 pm

I'm not familiar with raan, but this is the recipe

https://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/i ... ic=14540.0

Postby jeral » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:16 pm

ZeroCook wrote:Jeral the soup looks good - hot but. How was it? Did you get Polish pierogis?

I knew the soup would be hot enough for me with just the fresh ginger so I omitted the chillies. A mere snippet of a chilli on reheat is easily enough for me since standing overnight with chilli intensifies the heat immeasurably. I'm not sure what the baby sweetcorns add or added except cost. I used cream block coconut for "oil" to enhance the coconut. So, good result to me, although I do like potato-based soup.

Don't think pierogis as they're like mini pasties aren't they? It looked like ravioli, just flatter and more supple.

The beef 'n pepper looks good. I kept reading garlic cloves as cloves as it looks like a clove or two ought to be in there. Don't ask me why.

Postby herbidacious » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:28 pm

Toad in the hole. Unusually, a joint effort with husband (who was the one who requested it.) Served with an array of spicy condiments and gravy. (I hadn't really appreciated how much Dijon loses its heat with time. New jar. Wasabi head multiple times. Unless the stuff Maille sells to us Brits is hotter than that which we buy in France. I think this is the first jar I've had to buy in the Uk in ages.)

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:16 pm

Not really cooking, but reheating the beef curry and dhal from the other evening.

Postby herbidacious » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:38 pm

Smoky miso/yaki udon noddles with tofu, inspired by Scully, I think. Bit of a cheat really as I used prepacked (too much pacakging) spice paste and sauce. Would like to make properly from scratch.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:35 pm

Wow, loads of gorgeous sounding food! I will steal some ideas for next week.

We had Vietnamese pork belly tonight with jasmine rice and steamed greens.

Tomorrow we’ve decided on roasted tomato, basil and pepper soup with cheese toasties.

We have planned a walk through a national trust park so we might make shortbread or oat cookies in the morning to take with us.

Postby halfateabag » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:50 am

Yesterday I made a batch of florentines, a lemon drizzle cake, Nigel Slaters spicy BNS, 2 baked potatoes, and a small amount of apple sauce to go with the fillet of pork we will be having for lunch today.

Postby Suffs » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:48 am

Not posted on here for a while ... must try harder ... Friday we had a creamy squash, sage and tagliatelle dish for the first time and it won’t be the last. Yesterday I made sourdough pizzas with mozzarella, anchovies and olives ... they’ve become a Saturday night regular ... and for today’s supper I’m going to par-boil then bake a gammon hock ... we’ll have it with roasted potatoes and carrots, a creamy wholegrain mustard sauce and broccoli.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:50 pm

Suffs wrote:Friday we had a creamy squash, sage and tagliatelle dish for the first time and it won’t be the last.

Suffs, that sounds fab - we've got half a squash, single cream and a pack of fresh sage - please share what you did :D
Not sure about the tagliatelle but we have some gorgeous pappardelle.

Postby WolfGirl » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:02 pm

Friday night we had sea bass served with an Asian style butter, but the chilli from a mixed pack wasn’t very hot, accompanied by cime di rapa and carrots.
Yesterday I made a batch of apple sauce with the last of our cookers and froze them in portion sizes, then last night it was steak with spicy wedges and salad. I also poached a couple of duck legs for tonight.
So tonight’s dinner is slow braised duck with couscous, cumin peaches and watercress. This time the chilli from the pack was so hot when I wanted subtle!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox