Register

The Perfect Cheese Sandwich

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: The Perfect Cheese Sandwich

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:07 am

I used to go out with a whisky broker
To taste it before buying you dilute about 2/3 whisky with 1/3 Malvern or Highland water so the alcohol doesn’t stun your tastebuds

Once you’ve bought it, it’s up to you

Postby halfateabag » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:41 am

We don't have whiskey in the house as he can't resist it.... :? 3/4 hits and the bottle is gone.... Our most recent rule is no spirits during the week (mon/thur). Mind you it is 2 weeks today since I had any alcohol.

Sorry I digress..... On cheese, I like grated cheese, mayo and thinly sliced celery.

Postby northleedsbhoy » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:17 pm

In the Christmas thread above I mentioned my favourite cheese sandwich, which is smoked salmon and cream cheese but it’s got to be Philadelphia.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby jeral » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:27 pm

Interesting, northleedsbhoy. I was expecting you to write Boursin rather than Philly. Don't ask me why.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:10 am

The herbs and garlic in Boursin would kill the smoked salmon, I think .
Dill and a suggestion of red onion: ok, now we´re talking!

Postby northleedsbhoy » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:42 am

jeral wrote:Interesting, northleedsbhoy. I was expecting you to write Boursin rather than Philly. Don't ask me why.

KK has hit the nail on the head. As much as I love Boursin with crackers or even on it’s own the garlic flavour would put me off pairing it with smoked salmon. To me plain Philly is the ideal pairing with it as the smokiness of the salmon compliments the cheese.

Cheers

Postby Suffs » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:38 am

Absolutely agree, a plain cream cheese like Philly is perfect ... the only additions needed are a generous grinding of black pepper and a wedge of lemon to squeeze ... bliss :yum

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:04 am

What is the perfect carrier for smoked salmon and cream cheese?
Bagel? Blini? White sliced? Proper wholemeal? Crackers?

Postby Suelle » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:15 am

Earthmaiden wrote:What is the perfect carrier for smoked salmon and cream cheese?

I think that's another 'it depends' answer.

In a dainty sandwich - wholemeal bread

As a hearty meal - most people would say bagel

As a canapé - tiny blinis or even wholemeal toast
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:22 am

I agree, Suelle. It's not something I'd want in a 'hearty' sandwich, bagel fits the bill better for that.

Postby northleedsbhoy » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:23 am

Earthmaiden wrote:What is the perfect carrier for smoked salmon and cream cheese?

Personally I like white sliced bread. I do like a hot toasted bagel, preferably cinnamon and raisin, spread with cream cheese but without the smoked salmon.

Cheers

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:17 am

In older cookbooks almost any seafood was to be accompanied by “thin brown bread and butter”

Still works for me, with smoked salmon or crab or prawn cocktail

Or lox & schmear, smoked salmon and cream cheese in a bagel

Or as an open sandwich on dark rye or wholemeal, preferably from Scandi kitchen (behind the BBC in central London)

Postby Suffs » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:49 am

Stokey Sue wrote:... Or as an open sandwich on dark rye ...

or as a sandwich of wafer thin Russian-style sourdough rye ... as stipulated by Russian ex DIL and much enjoyed by all of us.
She would mix the cream cheese with a dollop of sour cream or creme fraiche and a smidgeon of horseradish and pronounced it ... acceptable.

Not a bagel ... please not a bagel ... the only bagels I've ever really enjoyed were eaten many years ago somewhere in the vicinity of Brick Lane ... once with proper 'chopped liver' and once with real salt beef and pickled cucumbers. Delicious and a wonderful soft texture inside; unlike any bagels I've ever eaten since.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:18 pm

At wedding receptions here, years ago, smoked salmon was always served on "black" bread. I can´t remember the German name, but I think it´s probably rye bread.
I´ve tried blinis with the salmon and love it. Not too heavy, not invasive.
Bagels are ok, but not my favourite. It has to be a pretty incredible bagel to impress me; plus all the filling slips out of the hole in the middle. :lol: :lol:
Crackers work as well, although I prefer some sort of bread.
Of course, a toasted baguette, slathered with cream cheese+little bit of onion+fresh dill - yum!

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:27 pm

:birthday-dancer
Suffs wrote: :wino

Not a bagel ... please not a bagel ... the only bagels I've ever really enjoyed were eaten many years ago somewhere in the vicinity of Brick Lane ... once with proper 'chopped liver' and once with real salt beef and pickled cucumbers. Delicious and a wonderful soft texture inside; unlike any bagels I've ever eaten since.

I have to argue a little
First ignore all “New York” style
or other supermarket bagels yes awful

Second, Brick Lane bagels are famous, and that style is still made there and in other London bakeries including my local 24 hour bakery, in fact they are having a Renaissance

Third, as any old school cockney knows, always smoked salmon, chopped liver or chopped herring in a bagel BUT NEVER SALT BEEF which goes into a light rye bread with caraway seeds. Having said which, all the bagel bakeries now sell salt beef or pastrami in bagels because they don’t have the bread as well :evil:

ETA: it occurred to me in the shower that a reason supermarkets sell “American” bagels is because they have shelf life - proper London bagels, like proper French baguettes, are only good when absolutely fresh, hence the prevalence of 24/7 bagel bakeries

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:49 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:At wedding receptions here, years ago, smoked salmon was always served on "black" bread. I can´t remember the German name, but I think it´s probably rye bread.
I´ve tried blinis with the salmon and love it. Not too heavy, not invasive.
Bagels are ok, but not my favourite. It has to be a pretty incredible bagel to impress me; plus all the filling slips out of the hole in the middle. :lol: :lol:
Crackers work as well, although I prefer some sort of bread.
Of course, a toasted baguette, slathered with cream cheese+little bit of onion+fresh dill - yum!

Do you mean Pumpernickel, KK? I think it would be a bit strong-tasting with smoked salmon for me,but great with cream cheese on its own or cream cheese and pickles.

I find the trouble with toast is that it can get soggy, if you're talking little squares of toast and smoked salmon as a canape. So I would favour soft wholemeal with some butter, pepper and squeeze of lemon. If you're having it as a meal / diy sandwich then it's fine.

As for the original question, I find that grated cheese would need to be very firmly glued in or it can fall out so would tend to go for slices off the block, or if it's crumbly cheese, then as it comes, crumbly, but somehow squashed into the sarnie so it doesn't escape!

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:48 pm

Oh well, let's let beigels be beigels...

I do love a good salt beef sandwich. We're blessed with a local butcher who does salt beef, I always include it on a cold meat platter, where it's pretty much only the older punters who eat it, especially those from the London diaspora. Consequently I can be confident of leftovers. :D

Light rye bread is lovely. Caraway seems to have fallen from favour a bit, don't often see seedy cake either.

Addressing the OP, I like a good cheddar with tomato or watercress or pickle or coleslaw; alternatively a Stilton sandwich eaten with a ripe pear. Always fresh crusty bread. Or, just about any toasted cheese sandwich or quesadilla.

Postby Suffs » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:23 pm

Ma wasn't a great cook, but some things she cooked were just perfect ... hot boiled salt silverside or brisket with carrots, onions, suet dumplings and mash, and a few tablespoons of 'water gravy' ... plenty of mustard on the side.

Then she'd press the joint with weights as it cooled and there'd be plenty for meals later in the week with piccalilli and jacket potatoes done in the Rayburn ... :yum

Postby Pampy » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:44 pm

No bagels for me either - they're too sweet for me and I don't like the texture. I do like pumpernickel but have never tried it with smoked salmon.
I think I prefer sliced cheese on a sandwich - I always manage to get grated cheese everywhere except in my mouth!

Postby scullion » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:45 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:Light rye bread is lovely. Caraway seems to have fallen from favour a bit,

the eastern european shop ('a taste of home') near here sells a rather nice dark rye bread with caraway. lovely with cottage cheese.
i think i've only had the american style, packet bagels. not really a fan - although there used to be a bagel shop down edgware road (almost to marble arch) that did a really nice hot one with creme bel paese (amongst other fillings). the shop was always packed at lunchtime.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox